Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:50 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PecanPie View Post
I would like to move because we could sell our house and with the equity we have in it we could buy another house outright and not have to make those $2500/month payments. My husband could work 6 months a year instead of all year and we'd still have more than enough money to live on and he'd have 6 months of freedom to enjoy instead of waiting for retirement. Here we are slave to a house that needs a ton of work and lots of upkeep on top of the mortgage payment. In other places we could buy a cheaper house and still have enough to renovate, or spend more and get a house all ready to go and just do stuff on it for fun. I think this is the main type of reason why Californians are moving. Some have equity and want to use it to have more and a better quality of life, and others here just can't even afford to buy anything.

Plus it is too crowded here, and for all the natural beauty in California, there is plenty else that is ugly and getting uglier every day. And the places that are still pretty are way too much money.
If you are going to sell; I suggest you do it soon--------even overpriced California's housing market is crashing.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:58 PM

162 posts, read 572,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If you are going to sell; I suggest you do it soon--------even overpriced California's housing market is crashing.
Yes I know, but even with the crash we have enough equity to buy a decent house elsewhere.

I have serious doubts that the market will crash below what we paid 6 years ago.

Is it worth anywhere near the almost $1 million it was once appraised for? No way.

Worth less than $500k? Not likely. Anyway, just saying, in general purpose for myself and others as to why we/they would move out of CA, is the housing market and the ability to buy more for quite a bit less, somewhere else.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:40 PM

303 posts, read 846,345 times
And there are those of us who did not move by choice due to jobs transferring us, which was the case with my dad's job when I was a preteen. I want to return very badly, but unfortunately I have no way of doing so because the decent jobs are vanishing.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,771 times
I see less and less moving to AZ. Visit my Home (http://www.newtohavasu.net/ - broken link)

Old 06-18-2008, 11:09 PM

215 posts, read 985,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
And there are those of us who did not move by choice due to jobs transferring us, which was the case with my dad's job when I was a preteen. I want to return very badly, but unfortunately I have no way of doing so because the decent jobs are vanishing.
whats wrong with grapevine texas that is really nice up there

Old 06-18-2008, 11:16 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Why are so many Californians moving to other States, and what can local governments and citizens do to reverse this trend?
Is it really any mystery?

California is broken beyond repair, it'll take nearly a century to fix all the problems plaguing the state.

CA is overrun with illegal immigrants who are helping to stagnate wages while driving up housing costs, the people are overtaxed, businesses over regulated, the infrastructure is crumbling, the public school system is a joke, CA has a debt greater than all 49 other states combined, and the state government could honestly care less. Not that other states don't have their own problems, but California has become a partisan, agenda driven state while offering little in the way of practical solutions for the productive, tax-paying residents.

It breaks my heart to see CA going into the toilet and I just don't know if I could ever move back.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
too many refi's
too many livin pay check to paycheck
too crowded
cant stand the way they behave anymore
and wana go somewhere where everybody does not act like them
not to worry im stayin
i took down all the mirrors.
pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 06-18-2008, 11:27 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
California is becoming more and more of a nanny state. Many who don't like that and can move are leaving. A lot of them are business owners who are taking employees with them and/or laying people off.

We are leaving because of the cost of doing business (mostly because of regulations) more than the cost of living. However, since we announced we are moving to Idaho I have had more people ask for a job than ever before. Most of those and our current employees want to leave because of the high cost of living.

Economics aside, most of us in my company are content to be leaving because of the aforementioned, ever-increasing paternalism. However, it is a little sad to feel like we are being pushed out.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:10 AM

303 posts, read 846,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booz30 View Post
whats wrong with grapevine texas that is really nice up there
I just never liked living here. It is boring, I never felt I fit in here, I can't stand crazy weather, there are too few outdoor opportunities (I did like hiking around the lake, but after a couple of years of doing so I got tired of it), and the pollen here is driving my allergies crazy. I didn't have any allergies prior to being forced here, and now I have about a hundred of them. And not to mention that a car is practically required to get around here.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:06 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times
Their are a variety of reasons of why people leave California,but the primary reason is the cost of living,but the outflow has decreased since more Californians are choosing to just relocate to more affordable areas inland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California