Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 02:41 PM

46 posts, read 455,126 times

Advertisements

I see that Redding has potential snow in the forecast today... I was under the impression from a lot of the statistics that I've seen that Redding didn't get snow... Is snow getting to be more common?
Also, when I was doing some apartment hunting on-line, almost all of the apartment listings stated that cats were not allowed. I think I saw only one ad that said they would only "consider cats". Is there an anti-pet attitude in the apartment complexes in Redding? I'm a little concerned about being able to find somewhere to live since I have a cat.
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 08:11 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,005 times
"snow" is already gone.. it was slushy rain.. we get snow about every 7-10 years that sticks...it has already been colder (drier) this year than it is right now... so no snow here... go north, esst or west (higher) 20 miles.. yes,, but nothing here

cats,, cant help you there.. Im a dog man ... :-)

Old 05-23-2007, 04:45 PM

23 posts, read 63,133 times
star13, I recall a record setting Redding heat wave about 15+ years ago where it peaked at 118. We decided to go to Burney Falls Rec area about an hour east in the hills for the day to cool down. It didn't. It was still about 118 there. It is true that the humidity is low so even the hottest temps are not toooo sticky, and that was unusually hot even for July/August.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:03 AM

5 posts, read 71,553 times
Hi Star! We have visited Redding many times over the years, and have seen it grow SUBSTANTIALLY in the last 15 years as Californians move north and eastward. My father-in-law lived in Redding and Shingletown for many years. Personally, I don't see it being "liberal-minded", but then perhaps I have missed something?

Lots of options in Redding now. There's the older part of Redding and the newer areas with big chain stores and lots of growth. It is surrounded by a very lovely landscape, with many areas (lakes, Sacramento River) to help cool off in the summer, as mentioned before. I would say this: be ready for HOT in summer. H-O-T without much humidity, in my estimation. A person goes from one air conditioning building to another in the heat of summer, and it starts getting hot around 8-8:30 am in the morning.

My daughter travels there regularly to see friends, and these 20-somethings like the evenings, when one can really venture outside in relative comfort. It does not cool off at night as a coastal community would, so air conditioning or swamp coolers are needed at night for restful sleep.

I have been told by several young men who work there that outside labor starts early (construction workers, landscaping,etc) and often has to stop during midday in summer months for health safety, start up later in the day.

We just had a group here from Redding visiting us this last weekend, 9 young adults in their 20's, (a really great group of people). I guess finding jobs is a bit challenging. Rent is low, I am told, but then so is the wage.

Redding is very pretty, with lots of recreation options, just be forewarned about the need to be IN the water or indoors in an air conditioned building during summer months. It's THAT hot! I, too, love the sun and heat, but it's too much for me in summer. I am sure one could acclimate and many there have pools.

Hope things go well for you!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 71,553 times
Hi Star! We have visited Redding many times over the years, and have seen it grow SUBSTANTIALLY in the last 15 years as Californians move north and eastward. My father-in-law lived in Redding and Shingletown for many years. Personally, I don't see it being "liberal-minded", but then perhaps I have missed something?

Lots of options in Redding now. There's the older part of Redding and the newer areas with big chain stores and lots of growth. It is surrounded by a very lovely landscape, with many areas (lakes, Sacramento River) to help cool off in the summer, as mentioned before. I would say this: be ready for HOT in summer. H-O-T without much humidity, in my estimation. A person goes from one air conditioned building to another in the heat of summer, and it starts getting hot around 8-8:30 am in the morning.

My daughter travels there regularly to see friends, and these 20-somethings like the evenings, when one can really venture outside in relative comfort. It does not cool off at night as a coastal community would, so air conditioning or swamp coolers are needed at night for restful sleep.

I have been told by several young men who work there that outside labor starts early (construction workers, landscaping,etc) and often has to stop during midday in summer months for health safety, start up later in the day.

We just had a group here from Redding visiting us this last weekend, 9 young adults in their 20's, (a really great group of people). I guess finding jobs is a bit challenging. Rent is low, I am told, but then so is the wage.

Redding is very pretty, with lots of recreation options, just be forewarned about the need to be IN the water or indoors in an air conditioned building during summer months. It's THAT hot! I, too, love the sun and heat, but it's too much for me in summer. I am sure one could acclimate and many there have pools.

Hope things go well for you![/quote]

Old 06-14-2007, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,660 times
Hi to every one. Like STAR My wife and I are moving to Redding this coming august of 2007. We will be working At mercy medical center. We just wanted to know a peaceful and quiet neighbourhood aroung the hospital, rental housing or apartment is fine as long as it's quiet and near the hospital so we don't have to commute far. Any input is much appreciated. Looking forward to be in this fast growing area. Thank you very much.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:41 PM

375 posts, read 1,725,055 times
I just drove through Redding on Friday. The only area I like is close to the high school on HWY 299 (Eureka Way). Some very nice homes in that area. They were up on the hills and lots of trees.

The rest of redding looks run down.

One of our patiens will be living there in a few weeks to do her internship at one of the Hosp. there.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:02 AM

Look at some of the new communities just east of the city off of route 44.. Shasta View exit... downtown to hospital 15 minutes.. some are reasonably priced

Rentals... hmm.. Hilltop Av overlooking the city would be nice.. easy access to the River trail and all shopping and downtown.. commute would be in minutes to Mercy

299 at Eureka Way is home to many doctors... overbuilt overpriced huge homes... there are better values in selected places farther out

there is some older quaint downtown stuff but then there is your typical city lowlifes walking around as well

Yes..older Redding is run down, as are many county areas, but boy is the place changing fast.. go see city hall ,, which we call the the Taj Mahal.. or the bridge... 22 million dollars of white gleaming steel and glass.. just about everything east of the 5/Cypress north of Dana wasnt there 5 to 10 years ago.. Costco wal mart home depot on and on... they are all relatively recent

This is still a place of have and have nots..so typically California ..... Redding is a place of third generation displaced mill workers.. five years ago there wasn't a MBZ to be seen in this town,, now,, they are everywhere,, I'm not sure if thats a good sign.. but it is a sign of change

Real estate is still a bargain compared to the rest of California

Be ready for the heat.. be very ready

Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Does Shasta get as hot? I notice its very close

Old 06-19-2007, 02:26 PM

no.. I assume you are talking about mount shasta to the north.. its a mountain community and 10-15 degrees cooler in the summer and 40 degrees cooler in the winter...
theres also "old shasta" which incorporates parts of west redding... its slightly cooler

While sometimes murderously hot here the humidity is very very low so many people can tolerate a lot of the hi temps.. the lake and surrounding mountains help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California