Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 04:32 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry I am still not understanding how allowing gay marriage actually affects anyone besides gays. I don't buy that whole education, church BS line. But when two gay people get married it does not affect all the other straight couples that are married in any way personally, so what the hell is the big deal? Marriage between a man and a woman will still be a marriage between a man and a woman even if there are some married couples that are the same sex. It's less than 5% of the population. I just don't get why people need to hold onto this word for "marriage" applying to just straight people with regards to the govt. If you don't like two gays getting married then fine, but don't deny them that just b/c it grosses you out or you don't think its right. People and govt seriously need to mind their own damn business and stay out of the personal matters of others, especially when it doesn't actually affect you in any way.

If someone could actually explain how allowing gays to get married personally affects them I would love to hear it b/c I honestly don't get it.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:40 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
its not that they cant. its a seperate but (truly) equal deal in CA. the state just doesnt recognize the marriage and instead recognize it under a different term that has the same exact rights granted under it.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:47 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
its not that they cant. its a seperate but (truly) equal deal in CA. the state just doesnt recognize the marriage and instead recognize it under a different term that has the same exact rights granted under it.
but by allowing them to get "married" how does that actually personally affect you? I just don't see what the big deal is, I get why people don't like it but I just don't see how it actually affects anyone else's marriage at all.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
It's been proven many times that civil unions do not provide the same rights. Stop the crap.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:53 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersfield1980 View Post
They are choosing this immoral lifestyle regardless of what it does to society. What is wrong with Civil Unions/Domestic Partnerships that are already legal and gives homosexual couples the same rights as heterosexual couples is that they give the same rights. When passing prop 8 the majority of Californians decided that gay couples should not have rights, but they are trying to get them anyway. They are trying to pretend are part of normal society when their not, these domestic partnerships be removed. That is what real Californians want, not to legitimize that lifestyle.

As for the people calling me a troll, ever heard of Free Speech?
Your screen name says ALL that we need to know about where you stand.

Old 11-06-2008, 04:56 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Quote:
The fact that something is seperate logically means that it is not equal.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:04 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Your opinons are taking rights away from other humans. How can you justify that?
About the college thing, I was merely stating that I can form my own opinions, thanks to a strong educational background.

What rights, functionally speaking, are being taken away? None. It's a form over substance issue you are arguing about.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:11 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Your screen name says ALL that we need to know about where you stand.
And whys that? S. ca. voted yes also, infact exceot for the central coast ca was pretty much a clean sweep, do you have gay marriage in texas? well maybe that should tell you something. didn't Ar. and FL. also were agians't your lifestyle, get the hint.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:16 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Another protest is taking place as marchers closed down Santa Monica Blvd in front of the Mormon Temple this afternoon. Mormons provided the bulk of the funds to stop gay marriage & therefore are the focus of the outrage. I understand that large demonstrations will continue in front of Mormon churches. This could get ugly.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,208,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
And whys that? S. ca. voted yes also, infact exceot for the central coast ca was pretty much a clean sweep, do you have gay marriage in texas? well maybe that should tell you something. didn't Ar. and FL. also were agians't your lifestyle, get the hint.
Come off it Roadie. Kern county voted overwhelmingly Yes as opposed to L.A. which was a much closer margin. Also, I'm pretty sure some closeted guy named Ken Mettler didn't assault a No on 8 supporter in L.A., he assaulted someone in Bakersfield. And what's with the use of apostrophes? There isn't an apostrophe in "against"! Gah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California