Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 09:35 AM

72 posts, read 182,268 times

Advertisements

Denver Colorado. Lot's of family, clean air, water and a good place to raise kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,274,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
I left San Luis Obispo County 6 years ago, after growing up in California. We had an opportunity near Seattle, and saw what we could buy for the same $$. We also THOUGHT that we hated the predictability of the SLO weather. Boy.. was I wrong! It's one of those conundrums. You can get a fabulous house in other areas, but if you are one of those people that cares about the weather, or notices it, then be careful choosing your new location. It takes about 3 years to really get the feeling for the new town you've chosen, and how the weather, etc., will affect you.

Yeah.. I can get a gorgeous house up here in Seattle! But.. unfortunately, because it's gray and gloomy for 9 months out of the year (no lie) you don't really get to enjoy it. People get all excited here from July 1st to September 10th, because that is the only time you can count on any consistent sunshine. This past fall and spring has been unusual, in that it's been sunnier. Let's just put it this way... the longest stretch in history in this area for no rain has been 51 days. And those 51 days were in July/August back in the 40s.

My point is this. I think it's a great idea to find a new place to live if you'd like a different quality of life. BUT be really as realistic as possible about the new place. Don't dismiss the negative comments you might read online, as I did, about the new place. Now, some of my family who moved here is perfectly happy with the weather, and the others hate it. But it's about 70/30% on that.

Much of what I miss is not directly attributable to the weather, but it's the cause and effect. I took things like fresh produce, eating outdoors, having outdoor parties, not having cold feet all the time, for granted. For others, that may not be important, but it is to me.

I am considering a move back to SLO.. and if not, then perhaps Southern Oregon, which gets the same amount of rain as SLO area, and has the things like fresh produce, wineries, and that warm outdoorsy lifestyle. Do your research, rent before you buy in your new state. Don't assume that people living in those other areas are just being negative -- I should have listened to them.
Hope you get to come back! Weather IS important to me. Its not too bad here in Lompoc,just the June gloom is a bit of a downer,but most times the sun in out in the aftn. I love having no AC here,and never really getting too
cold either. Although, this morn its kinda cool. Good luck!

Greenchili

Old 06-23-2009, 10:40 AM

961 posts, read 2,567,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromCA View Post
Denver Colorado. Lot's of family, clean air, water and a good place to raise kids.
You'd better scratch the "clean air" comment from your list because everyone knows Denver has terrible air quality.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:52 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,349,456 times
I'm in Texas now. I lived in California for 8 months in 2004. I loved it there. I miss it. I'm from Illinois... I keep getting job offers in the middle of the Desert (i.e. Twentynine Palms) and I am seriously considering it....there is really no place like California....but not everyone feels that way. Depends on the person.

I don't hate Texas...but I don't love it either. There are lots of things to like about it....I feel like I'm considering marriage between someone Im crazy about and another who makes the most sense on paper and is a suitable partner...

Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,421,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
I left San Luis Obispo County 6 years ago, after growing up in California. We had an opportunity near Seattle, and saw what we could buy for the same $$. We also THOUGHT that we hated the predictability of the SLO weather. Boy.. was I wrong! It's one of those conundrums. You can get a fabulous house in other areas, but if you are one of those people that cares about the weather, or notices it, then be careful choosing your new location. It takes about 3 years to really get the feeling for the new town you've chosen, and how the weather, etc., will affect you.

Yeah.. I can get a gorgeous house up here in Seattle! But.. unfortunately, because it's gray and gloomy for 9 months out of the year (no lie) you don't really get to enjoy it. People get all excited here from July 1st to September 10th, because that is the only time you can count on any consistent sunshine. This past fall and spring has been unusual, in that it's been sunnier. Let's just put it this way... the longest stretch in history in this area for no rain has been 51 days. And those 51 days were in July/August back in the 40s.

My point is this. I think it's a great idea to find a new place to live if you'd like a different quality of life. BUT be really as realistic as possible about the new place. Don't dismiss the negative comments you might read online, as I did, about the new place. Now, some of my family who moved here is perfectly happy with the weather, and the others hate it. But it's about 70/30% on that.

Much of what I miss is not directly attributable to the weather, but it's the cause and effect. I took things like fresh produce, eating outdoors, having outdoor parties, not having cold feet all the time, for granted. For others, that may not be important, but it is to me.

I am considering a move back to SLO.. and if not, then perhaps Southern Oregon, which gets the same amount of rain as SLO area, and has the things like fresh produce, wineries, and that warm outdoorsy lifestyle. Do your research, rent before you buy in your new state. Don't assume that people living in those other areas are just being negative -- I should have listened to them.
The idea that weather must be perfect to go outside is very much endemic to people who came to California from elsewhere ... for the weather (or their offspring). You might have heard of something called "Goretex."

Go get some today!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:40 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,816,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
An article about people from Sacramento moving to Oklahoma in a central Pennsylvanian newspaper?
....and posted by a guy in Alabama.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,472,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
I'm in Texas now. I lived in California for 8 months in 2004. I loved it there. I miss it. I'm from Illinois... I keep getting job offers in the middle of the Desert (i.e. Twentynine Palms) and I am seriously considering it....there is really no place like California....but not everyone feels that way. Depends on the person.

I don't hate Texas...but I don't love it either. There are lots of things to like about it....I feel like I'm considering marriage between someone Im crazy about and another who makes the most sense on paper and is a suitable partner...
29 Palms? Are you kidding? That's hardly the mythical California people dream about. It's the middle of the freaking desert. You might as well move to Phoenix. At least there's civilization there.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:49 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,547,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
You'd better scratch the "clean air" comment from your list because everyone knows Denver has terrible air quality.
Yeah, it's gotten a LOT better over the past decade due to air quality restrictions, but it's still not all that great in the city, mostly due to the fact that the city sits right at the base of the Rockies. If there isn't any wind, the smog just sits there. I only notice it every so often though - mostly in the middle of summer when there aren't afternoon thunderstorms.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:50 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,349,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
29 Palms? Are you kidding? That's hardly the mythical California people dream about. It's the middle of the freaking desert. You might as well move to Phoenix. At least there's civilization there.
excuse me. But I'm not dreaming of a mythical California. I've been to twentynine palms. I don't have job offers in Phoenix, but thanks.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,547,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
That was true a few months ago ... not anymore. Yes, the wealthier areas have taken longer to come down but ... Silicon Valley took a major hit just in the last month with significant price drops. The nicer areas are finally coming down in a major way.
Just saw this post again and couldn't help but notice... those expensive areas in Silicon Valley still haven't come down all that much from what I've seen. It's still crazy expensive in places like Los Gatos, Saratoga, Cupertino, etc. I just did a quick search and couldn't find any decent 3-4 bedroom/2 bath homes for under $800k in Los Gatos (and not in Los Gatos mountains, but in the town). Maybe a crappy little fixer-upper, but that's about it. I guess the housing crash isn't hitting all areas as much as some thought it would, at least not yet anyway. But it actually looks to be stabilizing a little bit - or should I say, just not declining at high rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California