Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2009, 09:42 AM

34 posts, read 110,438 times

Advertisements

The appeal of a small city on the verge of mountains and the coast is appealing, but the people who live here ruin it. It's the crazy hippies and bums, eccentric and pretentious millionaires, illegals, and gangs. It is indeed overrated and mirrors the problems going on throughout this state.

I believe the home prices are based on supply and demand so I wouldn't call them high. I am sure they would be even higher if the city were populated with family people more like those that live in Irvine or Thousand Oaks.

It has some of LA's problems, but not nearly as many or extreme. It also has it's own problems like jobs! It would be a decent place to retire if you can lock yourself into a beautiful Montecito ranch! Overall, it doesn't mirror the American dream or values (freedom, and family) and much of California is following in it's path. Young people are leaving California by the hundreds of thousands. There are high costs here (taxes, home prices) and yet the state is still bankrupt.

The best thing about Santa Barbara is that it is one of the few cities in Southern California to successfully control development. But, that reason alone, does not make up for it's problems.

Last edited by capitalist09; 10-19-2009 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 12:46 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalist09 View Post
The appeal of a small city on the verge of mountains and the coast is appealing, but the people who live here ruin it. It's the crazy hippies and bums, eccentric and pretentious millionaires, illegals, and gangs. It is indeed overrated and mirrors the problems going on throughout this state.

I believe the home prices are based on supply and demand so I wouldn't call them high. I am sure they would be even higher if the city were populated with family people more like those that live in Irvine or Thousand Oaks.

It has some of LA's problems, but not nearly as many or extreme. It also has it's own problems like jobs! It would be a decent place to retire if you can lock yourself into a beautiful Montecito ranch! Overall, it doesn't mirror the American dream or values (freedom, and family) and much of California is following in it's path. Young people are leaving California by the hundreds of thousands. There are high costs here (taxes, home prices) and yet the state is still bankrupt.

The best thing about Santa Barbara is that it is one of the few cities in Southern California to successfully control development. But, that reason alone, does not make up for it's problems.
Santa Barbara is also the birthplace of the modern-day environmental movement.

SB is certainly not like Thousand Oaks or Irivne. I'll take Santa Barbara with its "crazy hippies, bums" and "illegals" any day over those other two cities.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:11 PM

89 posts, read 327,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Santa Barbara is also the birthplace of the modern-day environmental movement.

SB is certainly not like Thousand Oaks or Irivne. I'll take Santa Barbara with its "crazy hippies, bums" and "illegals" any day over those other two cities.
Why?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:45 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTimeToTalk View Post
Why?
Because Santa Barbara has a grit, energy and a spontaneity simply missing in T.O. and Irvine, where cars rule and everything seems to have been shaped from the same mold. SB has people on the streets, out walking, riding bikes. Buses take you everywhere. Don't try that in T.O. or Irvine!

Old 12-16-2009, 08:18 AM

4 posts, read 15,300 times
Hey Twinkle Toes - no need to trash talk Texas. We are one of the financially healthiest States in the Country right now, have the most beautiful historic areas, beaches and very friendly people. No matter how beautiful Santa Barbara is or is not according to the original post - the State of California is in a mess. Put all of your energies in to expressing your concerns for your State to the politicians and stop trashing each other.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelinala View Post
I'm a travel nurse & was in the bay area for a few months. I loved San Francisco. Now I'm stuck in this horrible little town called Santa Barbara. It makes me sick thinking about it.

It has to be one of the most overrated places I have ever heard of. I'm so disappointed with myself that I bought into the nice things written about this place.

It's horrible. The beaches are ugly, you can't swim in the ocean, and you have to wear flip flops or you'll get tar on your feet. Sick. The shopping is really bad. I thought this was supposed to be one of the wealthiest cities in the country? You sure wouldn't know it from the horrible shopping and ugly homes here. The people are weird. The "downtown" (one long street only) is filled with sick homeless people who yell at you when you don't give them a cigarette. I'm a smoker, and even the heavy amount of smoking going on downtown bothers me. Surprised California is so lenient with smoking.

It takes like 2 hours to get to LA. Not a quick drive. How can people do this all the time? So weird to waste hours in your car. So, I never go to LA.

And another thing, that horrible UCSB school. Wow, a campus right on the beach? You'd think it'd be amazingly beautiful. But, it's ugly, cheap and run down.

I'm just grossed out by this whole dirty nasty city. I don't get the appeal at all!

And it's making me want to leave California for good. I adored San Francisco, so maybe I'll just go back up there for my next job. But, this place has me turned off from anything south of here. I'm worried I would be disgusted living in San Diego or LA now too.

It's so overrated here. Never move here!

Another place that is overrated is Malibu. Why do celebs live there? I drove there one day and thought it was pretty ugly. Sure the beach is amazing, but the homes are ugly and it's just one big nasty traffic ridden highway. How is this a nice little town? I don't get it.

Also, the people here seem..well, dumb. What a difference between working at Stanford and working at the dinky hospital here in Santa Barbara. Wow.

Hey lady do us all a favor and 'please' move on back to San Francisco ,
and never say another word about Santa Barbara as long as you shall
live.....LOL....

Old 01-12-2010, 09:29 PM

188 posts, read 267,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You are so correct. I have no idea what your financial situation is. What I do know is the range in pay that we offer our travel nurses. I know what the range in pay for our in house nurses. I even know what we are paying our management staff. On top of that I know what I am getting paid and I prefer my income. But that is just for one heathcare system with a couple hospitals, 9 unit clinic system, and ownership in several health care business operations. I also know that the nurses that we have on staff have some cute looking little cars made by BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Inffinity, and even Audi but they don't compare to my car, my plane, or my boat. I also know that our nurses have nice lifestyles. Good for them. Audi does make some great cars. But nothing that they make excites me too much. A good friend had a A8 and it is a fine car. Just nothing to get excited about.
For someone who is bragging about the businesses you own (giving the assumption you are a smart business man) I'm trying to figure out why you would put so much money into depreciating assets? I guess there's a reason that Omaha, NE has the most millionaires/capita of any city in the US and why California is in the financial trouble it is now. When you hear nurses talking about driving audi's and BMW's then you know there is something wrong (aka living way over your means). If you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it (yes, house included).

Old 01-12-2010, 10:36 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,520,656 times
Those who "hate" Santa Barbara have never lived in Oroville.

My guess is that this person rachelinala s has issues, if someone can hate a place as much as she claims, they have to have issues.

"adored San Francisco" and some how managed not to trip over SF's "sick homeless people"

Probably got dumped by a boy friend who took off in a sailboat with a blonde ponytailed Santa Barbara girl with a pony at the polo grounds

Here I found this on the internet, and paraphrased it a tad
Quote:
Santa Bbarbara hater
Someone that dislikes Santa Barbara, or has the tendancies to cut them selves;
"Santa Barbara Haters" are commonly found at: The Local Skate Park, Hanging In Main Street, Piercing Shops. ETC
To check if someone is a Santa Barbara Hater, look for cuts on their wrist, if the cut is parallel to the arm they are a "Santa Barbara Hater". If the cut id going along their wrist, they are just try hard attention seekers.
Johnny: "Woah, check out that guys facial piercings"
Den: "You see the cuts on his arm as well"
Matt "Man he hates Santa Barbara"
Johnny, Den (Simioultainsly) "TRUU, What a "Santa Barbara Hater"

Old 01-13-2010, 09:02 AM

249 posts, read 392,548 times
Santa Barbara is a beautiful place, although it took me years to get over the oil spill in the 60's. As a kid I remember driving by there on our way to visit relatives in LA and all the beaches were covered in black oil and the place stunk. I think we drove by it within a few weeks of the spill. For years when anyone would mention Santa Barbara all I could think about was the putrid smell and the sight of dead birds on the beach. SF is beautiful in its own way, I'm not sure how the OP missed the homeless, etc. during her stay in SF.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:14 PM

17 posts, read 40,135 times
Kind of like a mini-LA too with gangs, graffiti, taxes, illegals, and homeless. Redefine your paradise. Maybe this is it! If you are seeking the eccentric rich and crazy poor liberalism? Otherwise average people: Look deeper, it is more than what meets the eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California