Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 07:29 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times

Advertisements

Oregon's notorious for their resentment towards Californians moving here. And, yes, there are a lot of them. But Californians are by far not the only ones. And I don't think there's a single state that doesn't complain about transplants (except for Wyoming?). Yet many Oregonians seem to have it in their minds that ALL Californians want to move here, and WILL. And I know that isn't so, because my family and some friends are still there with no plans of going anywhere.

There are some things I like about Oregon but there are lot of things that I like better about California, too.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,045,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Oregon's notorious for their resentment towards Californians moving here. And, yes, there are a lot of them. But Californians are by far not the only ones. And I don't think there's a single state that doesn't complain about transplants (except for Wyoming?). Yet many Oregonians seem to have it in their minds that ALL Californians want to move here, and WILL. And I know that isn't so, because my family and some friends are still there with no plans of going anywhere.

There are some things I like about Oregon but there are lot of things that I like better about California, too.
Oregon won't have to worry about me!

Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,244,240 times
Wont have to worry about me either.
I hate oregon.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,277,152 times
I was also listening to AM yesterday, probably the same one as the OP. Listeners were invited to call in if they are leaving the state, or have already left. What I could hear in the voices was utter exasperation and most felt they had to flee. They were tired of oppressive taxation, did not see the money spent on anything of benefit to them, tired of having to send kids to private school for a decent education, tired of seeing neighborhoods wither, tired of being surrounded by scum. If you analyzed the statistics, I wager you would find that a fair number of those leaving contribute significantly to the treasury and that the state is at a net loss of those people leaving vs. coming in. The overall population may have grown, but that is due to births within the state.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:28 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
What I don't get is why you say that if you live in TX or CO you must be poor or crazy.
That's not what I said. For one thing, it's a well known fact that people tend to move to warmer climates rather than colder ones ... which is why Colorado, for example, only has five million people. I personally hate snow so to me, moving to Colorado would be crazy.

And, in fact, Colorado doesn't even make the top five of migration states. No surprize there.

http://mcdc2.missouri.edu/data/popests/Reports/dmig_report_states (broken link)

If people can afford it ... they tend to go with moderate climates that don't have either cold or heat extremes. Sure, there are always a few exceptions but, generally, that's where the migration patterns go.

This is also why the California out migration has dropped by half in the last two years... since housing prices have dropped by 40 percent in that same time period.

Last edited by sheri257; 01-15-2009 at 04:36 AM..

Old 01-15-2009, 07:01 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,923,223 times
Quote:
This is also why the California out migration has dropped by half in the last two years... since housing prices have dropped by 40 percent in that same time period.
I look at this from a different angle. I think the loss of property value and the slow real estate markets is actually keeping people in CA who would have fled otherwise.
Quote:
I personally hate snow so to me, moving to Colorado would be crazy.
I thought the same thing. I spent a lot of work-related time in CO and found that I really didn't mind the weather here. The snow is much lighter than I thought. It can be moved quite easily and is so dry and powdery that it's hard to make snowballs or snowmen. At least once a week during the winter, it gets warm enough to ride my motorcycle, providing the ice has melted on the local roads. I guess I can only speak of the area we live. I have friends in Pueblo that ride all year and folks in the resort areas that can ride snowmobiles for 6 months. Like CA, the weather can vary all over the state. I am not saying the weather here is better than coastal CA, just different. I enjoyed the weather in SoCal while we were there, and now I'm enjoying, yes even the snow, the weather here. Put me in the "not in their right mind" category.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:11 AM

566 posts, read 1,940,131 times
If you are only going to make the comparison based on weather then CA wins. The problem is that while CA has the weather it has so many, many downsides. The last 15 years that I lived full-time in Ca I bellyached daily about the awful brown air, the horrendous traffic, the aggressive drivers, the dirty, littered streets, the illegals invasion and the one-party political system that made my vote worthless. Now I just keep a vacation home there for visits. After a few days I've had enough good weather (and enough bad stuff) and I'm ready to get out. But it is fun for afew days at a time.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
If you are only going to make the comparison based on weather then CA wins. The problem is that while CA has the weather it has so many, many downsides. The last 15 years that I lived full-time in Ca I bellyached daily about the awful brown air, the horrendous traffic, the aggressive drivers, the dirty, littered streets, the illegals invasion and the one-party political system that made my vote worthless. Now I just keep a vacation home there for visits. After a few days I've had enough good weather (and enough bad stuff) and I'm ready to get out. But it is fun for afew days at a time.
You aint seen aggressive drivers til you've moved to Texas. Especially if you still have your CA plates on your car.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:14 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,479,455 times
Hahaha! Sorry but i gotta tell you all that here in hickville USA most people back off from a car with CA plates because around here everyone thinks that if your from California your evil or your a drug dealer. Sad but true. But remember, those thoughts are coming from druids who choose to live in cold, depressing, nascar country.

...ok I think in that last sentence I just degraded myself. Well, I'm stuck here for other reasons.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Hahaha! Sorry but i gotta tell you all that here in hickville USA most people back off from a car with CA plates because around here everyone thinks that if your from California your evil or your a drug dealer. Sad but true. But remember, those thoughts are coming from druids who choose to live in cold, depressing, nascar country.

...ok I think in that last sentence I just degraded myself. Well, I'm stuck here for other reasons.
Texas is where I learned NOT to use turn signals - you never want to tip off the enemy to your next move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California