Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 11:28 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You'll see this materialism we wrote about above in Lone Tree and Highlands Ranch (aka "Little California") - but you'll see it at $150/sqft.
Cherry Creek North in Denver averages 550 psf..Boulder 300 psf..

Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Cherry Creek North in Denver averages 550 psf..Boulder 300 psf..
I knew Boulder was up there. The Cherry Creek numbers sound extreme.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:52 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Charles, if i may ask, what income does a family of six require in Huntsville to sustain a reasonable standard of living?
Houses range from
Medium quality (middle of the San Fernando Valley 1970s era level) maybe $70/sqft to

Nice (Thousand Oaks level) around $120/sqft to

Luxurious at $150/sqft.
Work this:

www.valleymls.com

Salaries for engineers are about 6% less apples-apples than California. (And they're begging for engineers in Huntsville.)

The rest of the math is up to you.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:55 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Im definitely not leaving. In fact I've just purchased another house here.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:57 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,814,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I knew Boulder was up there. The Cherry Creek numbers sound extreme.
That is Cherry Creek North--small Denver district--known as Rodeo of the Rockies..They have some new condo developments starting at 1 million plus..

Old 01-16-2009, 03:06 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,662 times
I'm sorry but I simply can't agree with the argument that materialism among kids in OC is the same in any other region that has above-average income-levels. And btw, the median income in OC, last I heard, was only around $80k or so...I've been around plenty of teens in Anchorage, AK (where I'm from) and while they do want RockBand and guitar hero and this and that, they simply are NOT like the teens here. Every other word is not "like", etc. The make-up worn is far less. I appreciate the feedback, but I stand firm in my belief that materialism in SoCal is far worse than any other place except maybe Miami.

Old 01-16-2009, 03:06 PM

309 posts, read 427,898 times
Default guess it depends on your sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
That's not what I said. For one thing, it's a well known fact that people tend to move to warmer climates rather than colder ones ... which is why Colorado, for example, only has five million people. I personally hate snow so to me, moving to Colorado would be crazy.

And, in fact, Colorado doesn't even make the top five of migration states. No surprize there.

Domestic Migration by State (http://mcdc2.missouri.edu/data/popests/Reports/dmig_report_states - broken link)

If people can afford it ... they tend to go with moderate climates that don't have either cold or heat extremes. Sure, there are always a few exceptions but, generally, that's where the migration patterns go.

This is also why the California out migration has dropped by half in the last two years... since housing prices have dropped by 40 percent in that same time period.

I guess it depends on your sources.
REALTOR® Magazine-Daily News-Moving: Where to and Whence We're Wandering

http://www.realtor.org/rmodaily.nsf/...3?OpenDocument

[Here’s the list of the 10 fastest-growing states

Utah, 2.53 percent
Arizona, 2.31 percent
Texas, 2.03 percent
North Carolina, 2 percent
Colorado, 2 percent
]Idaho, 1.85 percent
Wyoming, 1.8 percent
Nevada, 1.79 percent
Georgia, 1.71 percent
South Carolina, 1.7 percent

Source: Forbes, Lauren Sherman (12/22/2008)

Last edited by SDBorn; 01-16-2009 at 03:19 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 03:15 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,662 times
There is so much more to life then "great" weather. Some people actually enjoy weather that changes, rather than feeling like they live in the Groundhog day movie. Some people actually like to have snow in the winter, crisp autumns, warm summers, and cool springs. Not the same thing EVERY SINGLE DAY. People that like snow and cold climates aren't crazy. There are far worse things to deal with than cold weather, like being house poor and surrounded by concrete and illegals.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:40 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
I am a 4th generation native California, and I never thought I'd see the day that I'd want to leave. We're heavily taxed, the state is broke, its too crowded, no one can afford a home, so many rules & regulations, mis spent funds, more and more of our $ going to prison health care. It's bad when the prisoners have it better than a lot of the people on the outside, and better health care. Have you ever left CA for a road trip and seen the beautiful rest stops and areas outside the state. They are plentiful and beautiful always open and clean. Then come back to CA. You're hardpressed to find an open rest stop, they are filthy and unattractive. I have great memories of the CA of my youth, but I'm ready to try something else. There are 50 other states. Maybe its just wanderlust, but I'm ready to look for something else... probably TX. Can't be too much warmer than central CA, I know.. its a dry heat.
Exacty..I'm so sick and tired of paying for all these prisoners in our jails. Lets not BS here. The system is not working. Cali got gangs up the a** in some cities. The gangs end up building even more power in the prisons in our state. And with these liberal a** laws, half these dudes are getting off, and going right back to the hood to create more problems and havoc. Man.. Salinas, Stockton, Fresno, Oakland,Compton, East LA, South Central..and many more..We have a lot of hoods. Somethings gotta give. I dont wanna see these kids growing up with no direction, then turning to the streets. I been there,done that. The s*** out here just seems like were going backwards in this state nowadays.. Real talk.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:46 PM

398 posts, read 1,331,733 times
Sorry to be so negative. I can only tell you what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California