Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 01:01 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,910,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021
I say just straight line cut it.

Cut 16$ billion from education (k-12 to higher education)
Cut 10$ billion from health and human services
Cut 4$ billion from criminal justice (police, jails etc)
Cut 10$ billion from all the rest of the programs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Wishful thinking: that will never happen in pro-union California.
Then California is doomed. Said it before, and I'll say it again, jacking up tax rates right now (property, sales, income, whatever) will result in LESS revenue, not more in a recession. So yeah, just get that simple majority and raise tax rates (like sales) through the roof, that will work, right?

Sorry, state unions are going to HAVE to work with less.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 AM

341 posts, read 689,423 times
I think I could respect a politician who voted for a spending cap without making it contingent on me giving him more money to do it. I just can't go with "If you give me more money I'll quit spending so much" Considering their past record I cannot believe them.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4beanie View Post
I think I could respect a politician who voted for a spending cap without making it contingent on me giving him more money to do it. I just can't go with "If you give me more money I'll quit spending so much" Considering their past record I cannot believe them.
You sure got that right! That's my objection too. It pisses me off when I'm being gamed.

If a spending cap is a good idea, and it is a good idea, then let the legislature pass that part alone.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:21 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,399,986 times
All we have to do is cut all programs EXCEPT public safety by 20%. Most of those programs provide minimal value to the citizenery in the first place.

VOTE NO NO NO NO NO NO (6 TIMES)!!!!

Old 04-24-2009, 12:24 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
All we have to do is cut all programs EXCEPT public safety by 20%. Most of those programs provide minimal value to the citizenery in the first place.

VOTE NO NO NO NO NO NO (6 TIMES)!!!!
Right, education provides minimal value to society.

It just amazes me how people are willing to cut education but let the prison system have all the money they want. That is so backward imo.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:34 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,614,733 times
I don't understand all the moaning vote against the initiatives & the legislature\ governor will increase taxes anyway. BUT, by passing the initiatives, a cap will be set on spending\ tax increases. Is that too confusing to understand & see the benefits for the state?

Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I don't understand all the moaning vote against the initiatives & the legislature\ governor will increase taxes anyway. BUT, by passing the initiatives, a cap will be set on spending\ tax increases. Is that too confusing to understand & see the benefits for the state?
I agree.

B/c it involves an extension of the current tax increase that is all people are focusing on and complaining about.

Do people realize how volatile our revenue stream is? Sales Taxes and Income Taxes is where the majority of CA's revenue comes from. Those tax revenue swing wildly from year to year and there is little in place to mitigate that. This is a FUNDAMENTAL problem with CA's budget process and I don't get why people don't want to fix this FUNDAMENTAL problem that causes us the same headaches every year with budget deficits.

People act like the only problem is too much spending when its only part of a bigger problem with how volatile our revenue stream is. We spend too much in good years, don't put anything aside for bad times, then when an recession hits this is what happens. It's happened before under Davis and Wilson and will happen again under the next governor unless something is done about it.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:56 PM

341 posts, read 689,423 times
Quote:
As of April 1, I am being taxed more and I refuse to vote to let them extend it any longer. Nothing will ever change unless we stand up together and let the politicians know we won't give than any more money. They need to work with what they have which is plenty. If we keep giving them more they will never need less. And I don't care if they try to intice me with a spending cap. There should already be a spending cap it's called DON'T SPEND MORE THAN YOU HAVE. That's what we do at my house it's called a budget.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:03 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,136,825 times
Quote:
There should already be a spending cap it's called DON'T SPEND MORE THAN YOU HAVE.
Wow! Beanie is a genius compared to our state legislators.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
As of April 1, I am being taxed more and I refuse to vote to let them extend it any longer. Nothing will ever change unless we stand up together and let the politicians know we won't give than any more money. They need to work with what they have which is plenty. If we keep giving them more they will never need less. And I don't care if they try to intice me with a spending cap. There should already be a spending cap it's called DON'T SPEND MORE THAN YOU HAVE. That's what we do at my house it's called a budget.
Well they just raised your taxes, what's going to stop them from doing it again if these props fail? Please enlighten me to how voting NO prevents lawmakers from raising taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California