Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:33 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsret View Post
Ok, I have no problem accepting that Police are ONLY #12 on the Most Dangerous Jobs List, none what so ever.

On that list, the other occupations, with the exception of Taxi Drivers, are usually injured or killed due to accidents. The difference is our Law Enforcement Officers (LEO) are usually injured or killed at the hands of a criminal... and then the usual accident.

Many here seem to think LEOs are over paid and underworked, but, how many would and/or have done their job? Better yet, how many of you would actually be a LEO for minimum wage? Be honest, wouldn't it take at least a BIG SALARY & BIG RETIREMENT to entice you to be a LEO?

I'm sure we will continue to have a bunch of replies in the negative, especially from those that have never been nor ever would ever be a cop, but, won't admit it.
OK... I'll jump in...

My High School has a high number that go law enforcement in the SF Bay Area... no less than 12 from my class. Most from my class have retired except for the ones that are now Police Chiefs, Assistant Chiefs or Lieutenants.

Of these, almost all took administration of Justice 2 year programs at community college and many worked as campus patrol while pursuing their AA degrees.

I decided to wait and finish a double major and get my Bachelor of Science. In the 3 years extra it took me, there were a number of consent degrees that came into effect where Bay Area Departments agreed to actively seek out and provide special consideration to female and minorities...

One of my classmates, a female officer that made it the hard way before the consent decree really resented the lower physical standards... she was proud to compete toe to toe with all the other cadets and now felt she would be looked at as one that only made it because of lower standards.

I tested at 3 Bay Area agencies, Oakland had over 3000 applicants and the academy ended up being cancelled. At the same time, Oakland was sending recruiting teams to Atlanta, Chicago and other large cities to recruit minority applicants for future academy classes

The Chief of Police of San Leandra candidly told me my timing was off and that his department was only recruiting minority lateral transfers from other agencies to save costs and meet the consent decree. A minority Officer, especially a female minority Officer could write their own ticket back then (no pun intended)... the demand was so great.

The personnel Officer at another agency had only hired two non-minority rookie officers that year and both had payed their own way through the Police Academy... saving many thousands of dollars to the department in training costs and cadet wages...

My point is even back in the 80's and 90's there was no shortage of people wanting to go into law enforcement and from those I know, the compensation and prestige were great motivating factors.

I've gone on many ride alongs and still keep in touch with my LEO friends... almost all said they were in the right place at the right time... Had dinner with one the other night... he did 20 years, mostly on motors and retired at 41... got married, started a family and loves being Mister Mom... in his spare time, he takes care of a couple rentals he picked up during his career and he says life is good

My uncle was killed in the line of Duty as a Deputy Sheriff and my Father was a Nevada special deputy for a brief period... Dad said the job had it's perks, but back then a basic deputy didn't earn enough to support a family... so he went into teaching and eventually started a business.

Lots of the older retired officers can't believe how the profession has changed and even they admit that there's nothing comparable in the private sector in terms of benefits...

I don't think they are under-worked in the least... I do believe they are very well paid for what they do and the retirement is second to none...

I don't think I would do ANY job for minimum wage at this stage in my life... but I've had several minimum wage jobs starting out and they taught me a lot about the business world.

I do know first hand from my local city manager that her biggest problem is how to fund the police and fire fighters in her city... it's not the salary so much, it's the benefit packages with golden retirements for these agencies forcing some CA cities to consider bankruptcy.

Police Officers in CA are paid so much because they are good at what they do and have a very active PR wing of the Union that spends buckets of money everytime a measure is before the public... The voters in my city consistently approve property tax measures solely to put more officers on the street and then it never happens

As a citizen, I think it's wrong that I have to pay for golden retirement packages for life for someone that can retire in their 40's for a job that I am willing to do for less

One of my retired LEO friends summed it up best at his retirement party... He said, "I was nothing more than a high paid cab driver with a gun... I'm going to miss you guys and the department as I'm sitting at my favorite fishing hole"

Thirty years as a Bay Area LEO and never drew his weapon on duty...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-16-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 11:38 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would question them as well. Even cops, working for years, unless they have top administrative jobs most do not make anywhere near $100,000 per year or none of our friends do. This might be an average, we all know what average means. Take a police officer at the very top (capt, etc) and average in his salary and yes, the salaries will seem higher. Average is a word I rarely put much into.

Nita
Nita... it's quite the norm for Officers in SF Bay Area... Last time I looked into it... starting pay was 70k for a Rookie Officer and that was several years ago.

Here's a link showing entry level officers up to 90k and new cadets in training over 60k

http://www.opdjobs.com/oakland-police-department-salaries-and-benefits.htm (broken link)

Young couple, High School sweethearts... they make over 200k a year and their both 24... He's a police officer and she's a registered nurse... California is truly the land of opportunity!

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-16-2009 at 11:48 AM..

Old 05-16-2009, 11:46 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Even cops, working for years, unless they have top administrative jobs most do not make anywhere near $100,000 per year or none of our friends do.
I know one cop (friend of a friend) who was making over $100K, but that included overtime. He wasn't in administration. His department was L.A.P.D. Perhaps police are paid less in your area.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I know one cop (friend of a friend) who was making over $100K, but that included overtime. He wasn't in administration. His department was L.A.P.D. Perhaps police are paid less in your area.
actually I am talking about friends in So Ca. I guess with overtime and enough seniority the salary is there, but more, was thinking of the basic patrol cop. Again, the average is always misleading. i have no idea what our cops make, I would guess nowhere near what they make in California. Of course we have no crime either. Most of them spend their hours stopping people from speeding around the curves in the roads, picking up stray dogs, and occassionally a really bad accident or a crime..

We do have a friend in So Calif who has a son that makes well over $100,000 with the fire dept but he is a captain with about 25 years experience. Another guy is about to retire from L.A.P.D with 30 years experience. He too is really up there but certainly doesn't make as much as someone with an advanced degree as mentioned a few posts ago. Yes, the unions have a lot to do with the salaries and benfits.

In Albuquerque, when we left last year, the starting salary for a cop was about $20,000, less in some of the small counties.

Nita

Old 05-16-2009, 02:35 PM

My friend (of a friend) was near retirement, and he was kind of senior but didn't have any supervisory duties. In fact he might have retired and then hired back, double dipping. I can't explain the details because my conversation with him was 5-6 years ago.

Thought experiment: Let's say we could hire 50,000 police officers for LAPD at $400K salary each (they're real super-cops), and that it would make all LA residents almost perfectly safe. Would that be a good idea?

My point is that economics does have to come into it, and no matter how safe we are it doesn't justify such a huge salary as in my thought experiment. Economics are important, our budget is important, paying reasonable taxes is important, but it's unreasonable to pay exorbitant salaries no matter how safe it makes us. The City of LA has to live within a reasonable budget just like taxpayers have to live within a reasonable budget, and it's unreasonable to pay our police officers far more than in other cities.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:12 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,604,477 times
Quote:
In Albuquerque, when we left last year, the starting salary for a cop was about $20,000, less in some of the small counties.

Nita
Says here that only after one year, APD base salary is 48,152. Before all of the benifits and such. (and there are TONS of them)

APDonline.com - Benefits & Salary

Old 05-16-2009, 03:34 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
LOL Waaaa Waaaaa I highly doubt the majority of your typical low to no crime suburb cops have more injuries and accidents than anybody else. Back injury of office workers is the # 1 reason why people take off from work.

You really believe that cops in the suburbs chase suspects through alleyways daily? even weekly? Cops in Oakland get ridiculous overtime, i'm sure they'll work a 12 hour shift for an extra 20-40 grand.
I told you like it is. You ae not required to believe the truth. You, being a know it all with all the answers, choses not to believe me. Good for you. Continue to spout off on a subject you have no clue about.. Perhaps you will find someone you can impress...
You must be very popular around the watercooler...

Old 05-16-2009, 05:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Says here that only after one year, APD base salary is 48,152. Before all of the benifits and such. (and there are TONS of them)

APDonline.com - Benefits & Salary
absolutely not true unless things have changed in only 6 months. With benies, I am not going to say, as I do not know..I guess this is why we need to take these stats with a grain of salt, which I do all these things. Beleive me, post this on the NM board and see what you get..

Or, lets put it this way, if what you have read is true than the ABQ cops are not telling it the way it is.

Nita

Old 05-16-2009, 07:20 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
During my days as a peace officer and with seniority, especially as a sergeant, I could easily receive overtime checks that were larger than my paycheck for the same month. In the eight years I served before I got tired of working narcotics and dealing with the scum of the earth, I drew my weapon with every intention of using it exactly four times - twice at dogs, once at a partner who startled me during a drug bust (he drew on me too - scared the hell out of both of us) and once on two suspects. The only caps I ever popped were on the range!

For the record, today I'd really feel over-compensated.

Thank the unions and the mincing politicians in thrall to them!

Old 05-16-2009, 07:27 PM

Curmudgeon, thanks for that honest post.

I guess you know that I take curmudgeonness seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California