Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:19 AM

230 posts, read 599,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I wonder how his Latina wife is being treated in rural Indiana.
I'm disappointed in you, majoun. I thought you were better than this. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 01:30 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
I'm disappointed in you, majoun. I thought you were better than this. Oh well.
Well, I do wonder, considering how many people badmouth rural Indiana, including people from there. It did have the largest KKK of any northern state back in the day.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:36 AM

230 posts, read 599,803 times
Quote:
Well, I do wonder, considering how many people badmouth rural Indiana, including people from there. It did have the largest KKK of any northern state back in the day.
Thanks, next time I'm there I'll look up the family I still have living there and find out if they're closet Klansmen.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:46 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,607 times
Quote:
Zip up. Your democrat is showing.
This is part of the reason I'm leaving California.
The smug and superior moralists.

Wasn't California one of the few states to put
helpless minorities into concntration camps?

Old 06-03-2009, 01:59 AM

241 posts, read 940,187 times
don't know but guess some people might be tired of leaving in california maybe partly cause they lived here all there life.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:47 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,668 times
I personally encourage all Californians to STAY in CALIFORNIA.....You won't like Indiana or the Midwest. It's white picket fence...white bread and WHITE....Conservative, hick, bubba-ville.
If you don't dig football, NASCAR and "traditional values"...you'll have a hard time in Indiana, or any other Midwestern state. If you have to leave CA go to another liberal / progressive state....

...you won't like Indiana.....

...and if you have progressive ideals....and you live in one of the "red states".....seriously consider moving to California....I would encourage everyone who is open and tolerant of alternative lifestyles to move to California.....

...best of all....the weather is much MUCH better.....MILD winters.....and easy summers.... The Midwest in the winter can be frigid cold....buried in snow....and in the summer the HUMIDITY.....and the HEAT....Well...let's just say....90'F and 90% HUMIDITY....

....think about it....do you REALLY want to live in THAT?.......

Last edited by Happy Cells; 06-03-2009 at 03:55 AM..

Old 06-03-2009, 06:18 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,480,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
You know, people like you are the reason California's reputation is getting worse all the time. The attitude will be even less warranted, and more obnoxious, when the federal bailout of this insolvent state comes and people from Indiana and Iowa are paying to subsidize our asses. It amuses me to no end to see the shocked and threatened Californian ego react whenever it encounters people who've sampled the state and decided they don't need it.

All this talk about Indiana has me dreaming too.... of small towns, open fields, and quieter life. (Things I can't find anywhere in the vast, ugly swath of concrete that makes up the L.A. metro area.) One side of my family comes from Indiana. I've been there a few times, and it is beautiful. The endless fields, the leaves in autumn.... If money weren't an issue, I could see myself living in a tiny, charming place like Greentown, IN. I have a soft spot for Kokomo, too; it's seen better days, but then so has southern California.

To the OP: The reason I asked your age is that most younger people don't appreciate things like this. Posts from twentysomethings with stars in their eyes about living in "Cali" are a dime-a-dozen on City-Data; being where the action is, where the parties and people are, are all that's important. When the check comes, however, the price is very high, in many ways, and for many, the older one gets, the less appealing the California "lifestyle" -- at least, the one America's been sold for all these decades; and listen to David Aguilar when he tells you the reality of life in CA is not that bright and shiny -- becomes, and the better places like the Midwest start to look. I have an aunt who recently left southern CA after sixty years for Gulf Shores, Alabama. She was fed up with the strain of living here and she loves it over there.

By all means, experience California if you're dead-set on it and can possibly afford it; there is much wonder and beauty here. But there are many Californians who could stand to broaden their horizons a little, and who might find the trail of wonder and beauty bursts through the borders of the state and finds its way into every corner of this vast country.... to places like rural Indiana.
I understand where your coming from. I am 32 btw. It has been my dream since i was a kid to live in California and all I have got so far is a handful of visits, some extended to a few weeks. I love it out there but I dont know many people there so it's hard to try to move there. My main complaint is our midwest weather. It's June 3rd and it's been raining for over a week. The last 7 months it was cold and gloomy and wet. It seems we never get to go outside and when the sun comes out the humidity skyrockets and the mosquitos attack like savages. I just hate it here because eveything you try to do gets foiled by weather. Thats why I "California Dream" so much, of a life where I can step outside and be comfortable.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I'll move ANYWHERE in the U.S. if it can be guaranteed that illegal aliens will never invade the area. There are a lot of places that appeal more to me now than CA -- they're called red states.
Our area WAS invaded...but with the factory jobs leaving the illegals are too

Old 06-03-2009, 06:28 AM

Quote:
That's weird, because studies have shown the Midwest is the only region of the US that is still sending more of its people to California than it is recieving Californians.

I have a feeling many of those "Californians" are originally Indianans who moved out west.
What? Indiana is not "sending" any of it's citizens to California. I don't know where you got that. If you know something I don't please do tell, I would love to jump on the train that's heading that way.

The bank manager at my bank is from the Bay Area. He moved here a few years ago due to COL in CA. He was born and raised there.
A 40 something guy in my neighborhood is from Reseda, born and raised in OC, moved him and his family here for a "better life for the kids" yeah some better life stuck inside all year.
When I was at the Unemployment office Tuesday for more interviews there was a lady in her 30's or so from Los Angeles. She said after spending her whole life there she was due for a change...so she crawled into our humble abyss and was never seen again! She got that change she wanted, bye bye sunshine.

Not to mention I've seen a decent amount of cars with CA plates.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
I personally encourage all Californians to STAY in CALIFORNIA.....You won't like Indiana or the Midwest. It's white picket fence...white bread and WHITE....Conservative, hick, bubba-ville.
If you don't dig football, NASCAR and "traditional values"...you'll have a hard time in Indiana, or any other Midwestern state. If you have to leave CA go to another liberal / progressive state....

...you won't like Indiana.....

...and if you have progressive ideals....and you live in one of the "red states".....seriously consider moving to California....I would encourage everyone who is open and tolerant of alternative lifestyles to move to California.....

...best of all....the weather is much MUCH better.....MILD winters.....and easy summers.... The Midwest in the winter can be frigid cold....buried in snow....and in the summer the HUMIDITY.....and the HEAT....Well...let's just say....90'F and 90% HUMIDITY....

....think about it....do you REALLY want to live in THAT?.......
BINGO! We have a winner! I live in it so I can agree that you are pretty dead-on as to how it is here in the rust belt. Good accurate post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California