Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:08 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Goodness did people jump on this OP or what. I think it just boils down to different strokes for different folks. I can understand needing more space from your neighbors, a bigger yard, etc. My biggest complaint about California is the lack of yards (unless you're rich, and even then). My favorite show on television used to be Landscapers Challenge and I always dreamed about turning a place with a backyard into a real wonderland, but here in California, sometimes there are no yards at all and when there are, a lot of times they have HOA's or you're living in an area where you probably don't have the money or desire to put that type of money into a yard.

That being said, nice houses aren't quite as expensive as people in the Midwest seem to believe. The market tanked so hard that in decent areas you can find some real steals. In fact, condos right now back in my hometown of Akron, Ohio are on the whole more expensive than condos in the Bay Area. Part of the reason is that the Bay Area is simply loaded with condos and when they were overvalued, there were alot of foreclosures. It's certainly not bleak if you just want to own property - although we get overtaxed heavily with sales and income, we do make more money for the same jobs and property taxes are 45th lowest in the United States.

California definitely isn't for everyone. There are so many cities. I mean, Long Beach is the 31st largest city in the U.S., for god's sake. There are multitudes of cities with more than 100,000 people and when you factor in that you're just not getting your space, it can be tough to handle. On the bright side, because developers and cities don't allow people to just hi-jack the land for themselves, California still has some of the most amazing scenery ever while driving on its interstates. The hills of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, and Solano counties are just breathtaking - saying nothing of southern or extreme Northern California.

And if you wanted cheaper housing and more space to yourself, just go north! The only forseeable issue is the employment issue -- but hey, many people have found their niche and you'd be surprised how you can make it without the best jobs. Some of us just don't want to live like John and Kate. I see their house, their yard, their neighborhood and just think -- wow, I'm so glad I don't live there while others probably watch the show, living vicariously through it.

Breaking News: We're all different!
Thanks Puddy

John and Kate, I don't pay much attention to the media these days, it's all kinda sickening to me these stars and how the world holds so much envy for them. They are gonna die someday too, period. I really am going to spend a couple days in the Fresno area on my drive out to visit California. People warn me that it sucks but I have to see for myself because the rent there is the same as here in Indiana...minus the 6 months of winter. So I have to see it for myself. Could be me lucky rainbows pot of gold at the other end!FRESNO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:39 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
I personally encourage all Californians to STAY in CALIFORNIA.....You won't like Indiana or the Midwest. It's white picket fence...white bread and WHITE....Conservative, hick, bubba-ville.
If you don't dig football, NASCAR and "traditional values"...you'll have a hard time in Indiana, or any other Midwestern state. If you have to leave CA go to another liberal / progressive state....

...you won't like Indiana.....

...and if you have progressive ideals....and you live in one of the "red states".....seriously consider moving to California....I would encourage everyone who is open and tolerant of alternative lifestyles to move to California.....

...best of all....the weather is much MUCH better.....MILD winters.....and easy summers.... The Midwest in the winter can be frigid cold....buried in snow....and in the summer the HUMIDITY.....and the HEAT....Well...let's just say....90'F and 90% HUMIDITY....

....think about it....do you REALLY want to live in THAT?.......
Yep, loving it in Texas!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
What? Indiana is not "sending" any of it's citizens to California. I don't know where you got that. If you know something I don't please do tell, I would love to jump on the train that's heading that way.

The bank manager at my bank is from the Bay Area. He moved here a few years ago due to COL in CA. He was born and raised there.
A 40 something guy in my neighborhood is from Reseda, born and raised in OC, moved him and his family here for a "better life for the kids" yeah some better life stuck inside all year.
When I was at the Unemployment office Tuesday for more interviews there was a lady in her 30's or so from Los Angeles. She said after spending her whole life there she was due for a change...so she crawled into our humble abyss and was never seen again! She got that change she wanted, bye bye sunshine.

Not to mention I've seen a decent amount of cars with CA plates.
Don't believe anything you see posted here. CA has been sending more to other staes than it has been receiving for a few years now. The only growth in CA is the illegal influx. I have met hordes of people in TX from CA and many other states.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's funny, because I'm a CA native and I'm still meeting families who have relocated here from all over the USA. A family from Minnesota moved next door last month and my closest friend is from a Texas. Most people transfer here with their companies and don't want to go back, although there is always a shock at housing prices, even now that they are depressed. Small lots are common, it's just a different lifestyle. I guess it all depends on what you've had vs what you want, people like change and sometimes like to get away from the familiar.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's funny, because I'm a CA native and I'm still meeting families who have relocated here from all over the USA. A family from Minnesota moved next door last month and my closest friend is from a Texas. Most people transfer here with their companies and don't want to go back, although there is always a shock at housing prices, even now that they are depressed. Small lots are common, it's just a different lifestyle. I guess it all depends on what you've had vs what you want, people like change and sometimes like to get away from the familiar.
I agree. We lived in CA all our lives. Change is great and that was what we were looking for. I doubt we will move again unless it is to buy land and be out in the boonies. TX is growing in leaps and bounds. We moved to an area that was pretty remote although close enough to be in the big city is about 1/2 hour. Now there is a huge center 2 minutes from us and no stop in sight. If the economy recovers in the near future I expect the housing to go gang busters again. It kind of reminds me of OC 20-30 years ago. It has the potential to be over built also. I just hope it happens later than sooner.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Cars and motocross are popular throughout Southern California and to a lesser extend Northern California. The central coast? Hardly anybody lives there, that is a rather small part of Californians population. Yes, I'm sure grandma and grandpa in the central coast are not tricking out their cars or riding motorcycles.

If you think all coastal communities are like, what are essentially retirement communities, on the central coast than I suggest you have gotten around much. The coastal areas of Southern California and the Bay area are some of the most expensive and materialistic areas around.
I didn't say anything about the central coast, I didn't say anything about LA and SF coastal areas. You sound like a wack job. READ BEFORE YOU WRITE. I was talking about SLO Co. and the attitude and lifestyle here. You need to pop a pill and relax.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:10 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
although there is always a shock at housing prices, even now that they are depressed.
The housing prices in most areas are still rather high. Yes they are depressed from a few years ago, but they are still rather inflated from where they were in the 1990's.

Owning a house is out of the question for any family making less than 120~150k in the nice safe family friendly areas.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
I was talking about SLO Co. and the attitude and lifestyle here. You need to pop a pill and relax.
I made a comment about California in general and you counter it with people in a rather small area are not that way. Of course the state is not completely uniform, the rust-belt is not uniform either. But generally speaking Californians are into their cars, motocross and things of that nature.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:11 PM

24 posts, read 52,173 times
user.. I don't think I can agree to that. I feel we are pretty much spread around evenly in our interests. Maybe its your area or crowd you tag with maybe? My friends and associates are into sports, Radio Control models, drinking! (Yes, I'm Irish) and computer related stuff (games etc)... Just my opinion from Cam-A-Rillo FYI.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcrewof2 View Post
Maybe its your area or crowd you tag with maybe? My friends and associates are into sports, Radio Control models, drinking! (Yes, I'm Irish) and computer related stuff (games etc)...
I'm not talking about "my crowd", I don't care about cars or motocross. Nor is it my particular area, which at the moment is right next to you. Cars and motocross are very popular hobbies in California, especially Southern California. I'm not suggesting that everyone is into these things, but not everyone in the rust-belt is into football either.

Different regions tend to have different sorts of past times, obviously weather plays a role in such things. The rust-belt lacks big mountains and is pretty humid in the summer and as a result the ground is often not dry.

Regardless, characterizing the people in the rust-belt as a bunch of football crazed fools is just as accurate as characterizing Californians as a bunch of car obsessed out-door sport crazed fools. There is some truth to both, but many exceptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California