Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:54 AM

24 posts, read 52,143 times

Advertisements

Please don't send the transplants back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 08:03 AM

24 posts, read 52,143 times
Happy Cells, In my Not So Humble Opinion (?) The "liberal / progressive idealists" are the ONLY real problem we have here in California. They have caused this economic mess, at least IMHO. Now if we could just encourage them all to move to Indiana... think of how wonderful California would become! We would be solvent again! (sorry if this offends, not meant to... more just humor... a tug on your chain)

Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I'll move ANYWHERE in the U.S. if it can be guaranteed that illegal aliens will never invade the area. There are a lot of places that appeal more to me now than CA -- they're called red states.
Come on over to AZ.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
Quote:
Do you muse non-stop about Gary (which makes Oakland look like paradise) and Terre Haute as well?
Terre Haute for the fine cuisine and culture. Gary for the good times.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:07 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
I understand where your coming from. I am 32 btw. It has been my dream since i was a kid to live in California and all I have got so far is a handful of visits, some extended to a few weeks. I love it out there but I dont know many people there so it's hard to try to move there. My main complaint is our midwest weather. It's June 3rd and it's been raining for over a week. The last 7 months it was cold and gloomy and wet. It seems we never get to go outside and when the sun comes out the humidity skyrockets and the mosquitos attack like savages. I just hate it here because eveything you try to do gets foiled by weather. Thats why I "California Dream" so much, of a life where I can step outside and be comfortable.
If it is a dream of yours, then by all means move there to experience the CA of today. It was a far better place decades ago, but that is no matter to you. There are still pockets of good there, you just have to find them. If you have a high paying job that is secure and you do not mind endless progressive taxes and welfare programs, go and enjoy yourself.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:11 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,475,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
If it is a dream of yours, then by all means move there to experience the CA of today. It was a far better place decades ago, but that is no matter to you. There are still pockets of good there, you just have to find them. If you have a high paying job that is secure and you do not mind endless progressive taxes and welfare programs, go and enjoy yourself.
I know I know, it's not the California I dreamed of as a kid watching ET, the Brady Bunch and all those other great movies and shows that made California look like the place to be. Today it's different, I know. Seems like decades ago people there were really laid back and had fun. Now everything is so plastic and money driven. I should have been born in 56 instead of 76 then I could have spent the 70's having a blast in CA! Ha, shoulda woulda coulda...
...Sooooo, is there any state today that is similar to the California of the past?

Old 06-03-2009, 04:37 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
I personally encourage all Californians to STAY in CALIFORNIA.....You won't like Indiana or the Midwest. It's white picket fence...white bread and WHITE....Conservative, hick, bubba-ville.
If you don't dig football, NASCAR and "traditional values"...you'll have a hard time in Indiana, or any other Midwestern state. If you have to leave CA go to another liberal / progressive state....
This is gibberish. I was born and raised in California and have lived in the rust-belt. Yeah its white, except where its not. The big cities in the rust-belt have diversify, perhaps not as much as say Los Angeles, but its in no sense "WHITE". The smaller cities in California are either white, Hispanic or a mix of the two. That to me is not diverse.

Conservative? The rust belt states usually vote Democrat and the larger cities are rather "liberal". Hicks? California has tons of them too, simply visit the number small inland communities or the northern coast. Football? Yeah, they are more into football there. So what? People in California are more into their cars and things like motocross. I'll take the raving Steeler, etc fans over the guys that insist on raising their trucks to the moon any day. Nobody cared whether I was into football or not when I lived in the rust-belt, here and there I would be asked if I watched "the game". Big deal.

I personally encourage all Californians to consider leaving California.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:02 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,152 times
Cars and motocross? Not where I'm from. Actually people being into what kind of car someone drives is something I hear folks from the Central Valley talk about. That seems to matter to them more. But on the coast here? People don't give two $&!ts what someone drives or the clothes they wear. Just an observation.

I think one of the LAPD detectives heavely involved in the OJ Simpson matter retired to Indiana.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,079,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
Cars and motocross? Not where I'm from. Actually people being into what kind of car someone drives is something I hear folks from the Central Valley talk about. That seems to matter to them more. But on the coast here? People don't give two $&!ts what someone drives or the clothes they wear. Just an observation.
Cars and motocross are popular throughout Southern California and to a lesser extend Northern California. The central coast? Hardly anybody lives there, that is a rather small part of Californians population. Yes, I'm sure grandma and grandpa in the central coast are not tricking out their cars or riding motorcycles.

If you think all coastal communities are like, what are essentially retirement communities, on the central coast than I suggest you have gotten around much. The coastal areas of Southern California and the Bay area are some of the most expensive and materialistic areas around.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,654 times
Goodness did people jump on this OP or what. I think it just boils down to different strokes for different folks. I can understand needing more space from your neighbors, a bigger yard, etc. My biggest complaint about California is the lack of yards (unless you're rich, and even then). My favorite show on television used to be Landscapers Challenge and I always dreamed about turning a place with a backyard into a real wonderland, but here in California, sometimes there are no yards at all and when there are, a lot of times they have HOA's or you're living in an area where you probably don't have the money or desire to put that type of money into a yard.

That being said, nice houses aren't quite as expensive as people in the Midwest seem to believe. The market tanked so hard that in decent areas you can find some real steals. In fact, condos right now back in my hometown of Akron, Ohio are on the whole more expensive than condos in the Bay Area. Part of the reason is that the Bay Area is simply loaded with condos and when they were overvalued, there were alot of foreclosures. It's certainly not bleak if you just want to own property - although we get overtaxed heavily with sales and income, we do make more money for the same jobs and property taxes are 45th lowest in the United States.

California definitely isn't for everyone. There are so many cities. I mean, Long Beach is the 31st largest city in the U.S., for god's sake. There are multitudes of cities with more than 100,000 people and when you factor in that you're just not getting your space, it can be tough to handle. On the bright side, because developers and cities don't allow people to just hi-jack the land for themselves, California still has some of the most amazing scenery ever while driving on its interstates. The hills of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, and Solano counties are just breathtaking - saying nothing of southern or extreme Northern California.

And if you wanted cheaper housing and more space to yourself, just go north! The only forseeable issue is the employment issue -- but hey, many people have found their niche and you'd be surprised how you can make it without the best jobs. Some of us just don't want to live like John and Kate. I see their house, their yard, their neighborhood and just think -- wow, I'm so glad I don't live there while others probably watch the show, living vicariously through it.

Breaking News: We're all different!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California