Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 02:41 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,550,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Your skills will help you land a job in the food or oil industry, right now the oil side is still slow, there are always jobs in the paper for nurse positions.
i wouldn't worry about the ozone or smog or whatever but it does get HOT, this week it has been up to 108 and holdong in the 100 range.

Live up in the Hart Flat or Tehachapi area and just drive down to Bakersfield every morning. Heat problem solved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 12:06 PM

14 posts, read 39,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
On a light note, buy some Buck Owens albums before you move to Bakersfield, he used to run that town!
my grand father has a huge collection of LP,s of buck. i only found out that buck is from bakersfield when i went there.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Live up in the Hart Flat or Tehachapi area and just drive down to Bakersfield every morning. Heat problem solved!
i have no problem with heat as long as there is no snow and frigid temp @ -20 centigrade for 3months im ok.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:46 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,078,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piping engineer View Post
i have no problem with heat as long as there is no snow and frigid temp @ -20 centigrade for 3months im ok.
Taking the heat over that weather is completely understandable to me.

I've spent time in that kind of weather all the way down to -40 centigrade in northern Canada and Alaska.

Inhale and the inside of your nose instantly freezes, don't forget to plug-in the engine block heater on the car, etc.

Most Californians have no idea.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Taking the heat over that weather is completely understandable to me.

I've spent time in that kind of weather all the way down to -40 centigrade in northern Canada and Alaska.

Inhale and the inside of your nose instantly freezes, don't forget to plug-in the engine block heater on the car, etc.

Most Californians have no idea.
add the risk of falling when walking on ice..car accident is common on winters.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:45 AM

10,035 posts, read 9,522,751 times
Quote:
this info is very much appreciated..do you have inputs about nursing jobs, my wife is also preparing to pass the california licensure for nurse. she has 7 yrs hemo dialysis experience in canada.thanks.
That is the one job where she can go to any hospital and find work without little effort. No problem there, the nursing industry still has a shortage.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:13 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,078,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
That is the one job where she can go to any hospital and find work without little effort. No problem there, the nursing industry still has a shortage.
Just to clarify, experienced nurses particularly those in specialized areas are doing OK with finding jobs in California right now.

But hiring for newly graduated nurses has slowed in California. The reason seem to be mainly related to older, experienced nurses delaying retirement.

In other words, temporarily during this economy, a nurse needs to have a skill that is needed.

Old 07-03-2009, 08:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,519,674 times
Quote:
ive been to bakersfield once and i like the place..im considering to relocate there. im from ontario canada.what is the job prospect for piping/mechanical engineer?i can do any menial job if its necessary,i just want to get out of this cold freezing place.i have a 2 yr old daughter and my wife is a nurse.i would appreciate any comment.thanks.
I'm sorry! Having lived there for three years because of my employment at the time (narcotics agent) I would not recommend it. There are more comfortable and nicer places where your skills would be a bonus than the anus of California....ummm....Bakersfield.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:01 AM

130 posts, read 524,973 times
i have a question for the above post. i would like to know just how much crime is in southwest bakersfield vs. east bakersfield? cause, every night when watching the news its always the same same thing, east-east-east bakersfield is always making the news. to me its quiet and safe in southwest bakersfield? can u shed some light as to how bad the crime really is in southwest bakersfield? i just wonder if the news makes southwest bakersfield safer than it really is?

as long as u can get a job in your line of work, you will be fine. since your wife is a nurse she will not have a problem finding a job in bakersfield, there are plenty of hospitals here (mercy, mercy southwest, memorial, san joaquin, kern medical center, kaiser, to name a few). the trick is finding a job in your line of work. pretty much if u are in oil/gas or health industry u will do fine in bakersfield.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:35 AM

2,963 posts, read 6,270,180 times
Quote:
ive been to bakersfield once and i like the place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California