Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 11:32 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,074,312 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, Sacramento's large number of people employed with the state government may make it the last of the Central Valley cities to recover from the recession. State furloughs and job losses are going to take their toll.

The economic forecasts say Bakersfield will be first out of the recession in the Valley and beat most of the rest of state out of the recession also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 03:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIFRE View Post
Hot is relative. It's all in what you are used to. upper 80's to mid 90's is usually the summer norm here, with a few exceptions. And as i mentioned...it's a dry heat..and it's tolerable.

The Southern part of the valley tends to be hotter than the North, i.e. Fresno. The Modesto/Turlock area is more temperate.

Your location is listed as Hell, Ca. It's much cooler than that here
Ya, compared to Phoenix and Death Valley, Fresno isn't "hot". Compared to pretty much every place else, it is hot as he**! Tolerable if you stay inside in the AC, I suppose. I do miss Fresno summer nights. When I was younger, and often out late at night, that was the most pleasant part of the day. Still warm enough to never need a jacket, and not usually oppressively hot at 11 pm.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Ya, compared to Phoenix and Death Valley, Fresno isn't "hot". Compared to pretty much every place else, it is hot as he**! Tolerable if you stay inside in the AC, I suppose. I do miss Fresno summer nights. When I was younger, and often out late at night, that was the most pleasant part of the day. Still warm enough to never need a jacket, and not usually oppressively hot at 11 pm.
You forgot Houston in August, that was one of the worse I've seen, hot and humid. Although New Orleans was bad in summer too.

But seriously, look at Phoenix, Vegas, Palm Springs, and other places in the southwest. They stay over 100 degrees all summer without a break. I have to laugh at people who say Fresno is too hot but then move to those cities.

Fortunately Fresno averages only about 35 or 36 days per year over 100 degrees.

I look at it like people look at cold, snowy, icy winters elsewhere. There are a few weeks of heat in Fresno that you just have to work around.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 PM

314 posts, read 1,218,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
But seriously, look at Phoenix, Vegas, Palm Springs, and other places in the southwest. They stay over 100 degrees all summer without a break. I have to laugh at people who say Fresno is too hot but then move to those cities
They move to those cities (the first two, not the last one) for better opportunities and a social life. Fresno has the worst quality of life in the nation. There is literally nothing to do. A quick glance at weather.com paints a different weather picture for Fresno--105+ the next 7 days. What a shock. It's routinely over 105 and into 107-110 in the summer. That really sucks. There's no point in arguing between humid hot and dry heat when it's 105+.

I would seriously counsel anyone NOT to move to Fresno, actually.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:51 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarndyce View Post
Fresno has the worst quality of life in the nation.

Really? You have proof of this? I mean actual proof... not just your opinion posted as a fact on a message board.

If you can't back up the statement you posted as a fact, you need to word your posts more carefully as in, "IMO...." that way you don't come off as a liar when the facts are proven that places like, let's say, Fresno indeed are proven to NOT have the worst quality of life in the nation.

I would think it safe to assume that people living in poverty and squaller, say, in the hills of Appalachian, would GLADLY trade places with people in Fresno. And I'm just using that place as an example because the poverty level in that area, as sad as it is, is widely known about.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:53 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
In reply to one poster. . . .

There isn't anything to do? Doesn't Fresno have it's fair share of the typical stuff people do? Libraries and bookstores? Movie theaters and some performing arts? Cultural arts and events? Sports? Parks? Biking?

And it's a short drive to the coast and some good hiking choices. Not everyone can be lucky enough to live at the beach, or own a big retreat in the mountains. But the accessibility is certainly there with the help of a car or alternative transportation.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:49 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,949 times
They have plenty of that stuff...not as much as the Bay of course, but not bad for a city of that size. Personally, I've always found plenty to do there.

Have lived in Tucson and Fresno....Fresno's heat can get up there, but nothing compared to Arizona.

I like the lower cost of living and it is much less hectic than Silicon Valley, which I have finally given up on.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:03 AM

764 posts, read 2,037,178 times
Quote:
Fresno has the worst quality of life in the nation. There is literally nothing to do.
How long did you live in Fresno?

Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
They move to those cities (the first two, not the last one) for better opportunities and a social life. Fresno has the worst quality of life in the nation. There is literally nothing to do.
Better opportunities also exist in Fresno, a search here will show you threads from people moving to Fresno for good job offers. It goes both ways.

LOL, Nothing? Absolutely nothing to do?

OK, lets look at just a very few things going on in Fresno just this current weekend (summer is slower for events because many people are on vacation):
** The California State University Summer Arts programs with college students from all CSU campuses. The public can also attend the lectures and performances.
CSU Summer Arts

** Woodward Park Shakespeare
Woodward Shakespeare Festival

** Concerts - Last night was Keith Urban, tonight its Counting Crows, Tuesday night it will be Il Divo doing their mix of classical, opera, and pop.

** Nightlife: This is a posting of flyers for nightclubs around Fresno showing this weeks music and club events. If you click the link give it time, they have a lot of flyers to load.
Post No Bills: Fresno Fliers for 7/17 - fresnobeehive.com (http://fresnobeehive.com/2009/07/post_no_bills_f_99.html - broken link)

** BMX - Fresno just opened the largest concrete BMX park in the US (with a 19 foot cradle for loops) and also just opened what is currently considered one of the top 5 dirt BMX race tracks in the US. They have been drawing professional riders from around the country.

** Plus there are the River Parkway for canoeing/kayaking, sports events, theater events, fundraisers for charity, museums, the zoo, waterparks, etc, etc, etc.

Quote:
A quick glance at weather.com paints a different weather picture for Fresno--105+ the next 7 days. What a shock. It's routinely over 105 and into 107-110 in the summer. That really sucks. There's no point in arguing between humid hot and dry heat when it's 105+.
Again it is only over 100 degrees for an average of 35 or 36 days each year in Fresno.

That just means you limit afternoons outside for part of the summer, there are still mornings and evenings that are nice. Other cities like Phoenix never cool during most people's awake hours.

Fresno so far has had 14 days over 100 with a 2 week break in the 90s in between the last heat wave and this week. So there was a week over 100 then a 10 day break, now another week to 10 days will be over 100 then they expect another break.

Other cities see no break in the 100+ temps all summer.

And yes, humidity does make a difference, high humidity hits you even in the shade or when temps are only in the 90s. I've stepped outside at 7am in high humidity in the south and my shirt was quickly soaked. Unless someone experiences it, they may not understand.

Lets look at the next few days in other places using weather.com:
Phoenix - 115 today 113 tomorrow with night lows of 92 (it has not been below a high of 100 since June 26)
Las Vegas - 113 today 111 tomorrow (June 26 was also their last day of highs under 100)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
How long did you live in Fresno?
And also at what age? Teens and early 20s look at places differently than someone in their 30s and older.

Old 07-18-2009, 02:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIFRE View Post
Great place to live and work. Affordable Homes, Semi-Rural, Great Weather, Centrally located to the Coast and the Mountains. And best of all...friendly people. Check it out....
hotter than hell in the summer, but oh how wonderful it is to see the farm land, what still exists.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California