Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 09:36 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,025,682 times

Advertisements

Excellent analysis Coffeelovr. Although I'd love to be able to find a home where the prices are cheaper, as someone who relies on public transit, I could never be happy living in a state that has limited transit options and where you have to drive for miles just to get basic essentials such as groceries much less specialty stuff. I also doubt that I could obtain a new job easily in the less dense areas either as there aren't as many businesses as you'd find in Southern California. Finally, I'm just not a "small town" type of person and doubt that I could ever be comfortable living amongst those with a small town mentality as I usually find them less accepting of those who are different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelovr View Post
Sir,
You sound so arrogant, if I may say so. Who are you to decide what is "over population" anywhere; and further, how dare you, to believe that a certain amount of people is too much in a particular area?! So, who do you wish to be eliminated/told to leave from the CA population, Hmmm?? Do tell, sir! Do you want the poor, lower income persons???? What other "undesirables" do you want eliminated??? You sound like an over-intellectual elitist!

Let me tell you mr., there is room for EVERYONE if they are law abiding, and most Californians are!! Get out of your ivory tower university and try being humble!
Amen!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdogfrog3 View Post
I, too, am a native of CA and had the "grass is greener" syndrome about 15 years ago. I left family and friends and moved to a southern state (Louisiana). I had friends there, had visited many times, etc. etc. I even spent a month there to make sure I would like it. Still, after moving there, it was nowhere near what I had previously experienced. I expected everyone to be like the people in CA. WRONG! I took CA, and all it has to offer, for granted. Most Californians are progressive thinkers. I met very few people like that in the South. Though I came from a middle/lower class background in CA, I had trouble relating to the same in LA. I even experienced prejudice at my workplace. Other coworkers actually told me I made them look bad because I worked too hard. Quite a few of them hated me just because of where I was from. Decent produce, which is everywhere in CA, was hard to get and very expensive. Salad bars? They thought it was a joke. Stand up for your rights? You've got to be kidding. I finally came back to CA and swore I'd never leave again. But I guess I forgot about all this until your post, Coffeelvr. I work for the State of CA, and with all the furloughs and pay cut mess, I have been thinking of leaving. Your post reminded me of why I came back, so thank you. My mind is made up. I'm staying.
I've been told this by coworkers in my previous governmental job in California so slackers exist everywhere! Haha! Excellent post by the way!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Hey Jay100,

Look, just in the last 4 years within a 5 mile radius of our "quiet" hamlet in WI; there have been four murders (of adults); the killing of an infant; a few rapes, one child kidnapping; many, many robberies; two out of control arson fires; etc. etc. And the population of that 5 mile radius is less than 1,000 people! These crimes actually happened! Oh, and I'm not including the DWI's of folks drunk while driving; and meth and other drug problems in the area.

I can only imagine how hard life in a third world nation is: Lack of clean water is common; food is scarce; etc. And I am sure there are some in third world countries who are criminal because there are people like that everywhere! But Sir, there are also people like that in small town America! Let's not get smug and think just because God in His mercy has blessed our nation in various ways that we assume it's because we "deserve it" because we don't -- that's why it's called "mercy." And we should not look down on other nations who live in more dire circumstances. As the old saying goes, "If not by God's grace, so goes I."
Exactly! Best post of the week!

Old 07-28-2009, 04:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
37 million people in one state is too many...WAY too many. There isn't any technology or political solution imaginable that can make that kind of population density sustainable or healthy. No overpopulated geopolitical entity of any size has ever escaped spiraling down to Third World levels of livability. California won't either. Only the very northern third of California still has the space, water and resources to support continued growth. The rest is on an irreversible overshoot and collapse trajectory.
There's plenty of space in the state for 37 million people. You must not be very familiar with the geography of California or its population distribution. There are vast areas of rural and sparsely-populated land in California, even in the southern part of the state.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:52 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregJ View Post
So who's picking on firefighters? I missed something. I used to be one. We're talking about their unions when they exploit their status and popularity of their members for purposes that are contrary to the best interests of the state. You don't see police unions doing that kind of stuff.
Actually, I see it with both. I don't think it's picking on either group to ask them to take the same pay cuts other public sector workers are making. But that is not happening. And as I said, most get larger % raises year in and year out compared with other public sector workers.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,685 times
Quote:
Many are not open to "new" ideas in general! "Change" is not a positive word in Wisconsin's vocabulary. I realize CA is extremely open to "the next big thing," be it electronics or music or whatever. That is also not always wise though. But at least Californians are willing to give new ideas a try!

Sigh.

This, right here, is the root of why the OP is unhappy. Folks outside of CA really don't want you trying to recreate that state in their home towns. Try having a little respect for other people and other places. You might also reflect on how California's values are related to California's current travils.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:51 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I have lived in California and in NY. I think that they both have lots of advantages over other places.
Agreed.
But property taxes... Folks... You ain't seen nuthin' till you see NY, CT and NJ. Nuthin', I tell ya.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:38 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Agreed.
But property taxes... Folks... You ain't seen nuthin' till you see NY, CT and NJ. Nuthin', I tell ya.
Which is maybe part of why we fly to MO on Tuesday to start looking at houses our realtor has lined up for us; property taxes running from about $550 to about $800 a year.

If we felt we could afford to remain in CA and have a carefree life financially we might just do that but that's not the reality for a couple of state retirees, even with a safety retirement portion of my pension since half of it, plus some, was lost in divorce.

CA is decidedly a unique state in many ways and we will both leave with some happy memories. But a great portion of them will be the ones we've forged together in our 12 years of marriage. Those will go with us and increase wherever we settle.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:16 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,705,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Which is maybe part of why we fly to MO on Tuesday to start looking at houses our realtor has lined up for us; property taxes running from about $550 to about $800 a year.

If we felt we could afford to remain in CA and have a carefree life financially we might just do that but that's not the reality for a couple of state retirees, even with a safety retirement portion of my pension since half of it, plus some, was lost in divorce.

CA is decidedly a unique state in many ways and we will both leave with some happy memories. But a great portion of them will be the ones we've forged together in our 12 years of marriage. Those will go with us and increase wherever we settle.
I look forward to hearing your report of the area Curmugeon and to see what you find in terms of potential new diggs.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California