Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you move from Vancouver to Seattle if you could live in both Canada and the US without any res
Yes 38 55.07%
No 31 44.93%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
So far, it didn't prove anything yet.
Over 50% of yes so far....do the math....

Quote:
Like I said in my previous post, Vancouver is a perfect mix of nature and urbanity. On the other hand, Seattle is a collection of suburbs (a.k.a "neighbourhoods" ) disconnected from each other. Seattle doesn't feel like a city at all. Seattle is a suburbia, and this is it's major flaw as far as I'm concerned. Vancouver is urban. Seattle is suburban. I much more prefer urban to suburban. Vancouver is urban, but at the same time, the access to outdoors is readily available at its doorsteps. The nature is right there, within city limits.

Oh, and don't bother to explain me anything point by point. It's not like you know more than everybody else. You got no points.
Quote:
Is that a joke? Seattle has no public/accessible waterfront, which is a shame for a city with such great geographical location. Shame, I said.
Quote:
Seattle is to work. Vancouver is to live. It's as simple as that.
Quote:
Save yourself time. You won't impress me, trust me. I spent enough time in Seattle to know better. I know all I need about Seattle.
Evidently I do need to explain to you point by point since from your replies you do not know much about Seattle...maybe you visited few times but without much spirit of observation I should say....

You never explained to me in what way Van is more liveable....what better recreation/activity it does offers....

I understand you do not like the vibe or whatever, ok to each his own...but when you say "it is more liveable, it offers more recreation", these are somewhat objective points which are simply not true

Quote:
Of course, there also a couple of Vancouverites,
A couple??!!!

Quote:
I don't like Seattle, period. It depresses the hell out of me
Ditto for me about Vancouver....

Seattle is not ideal for me, my long term goal is to move to San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 10:07 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
The US healthcare system is not a role model (for a lot of reasons beyond what we are discussing here)

But the Canadian one is neither....it pales in comparison with France for example...

But one undisputable fact is that the US remains one of the major source of healthcare innovation in technologies and procedures (very expensive R&D). which are exported to other countries...someone has to pay for it (granted there is A LOT OF waste too in administrative costs)

The US is not for everyboy....if you aspire to a 9-5 job is not for you....
Do most people overwork in the States comparead to in Canada?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:14 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Depends on the persons work ethic.
some people overly complain about working too much and take all their vacation days.
some people work overtime and don't even take all their vacation days and are happy with that.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:48 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
How can it be a cliché if that's what I saw everywhere I looked?
Bear in mind that I'm comparing my big city with your big cities, not little hamlets.
Sure, life can be really great if you're wealthy, and you can insulate yourself from all the crime and poverty.
However, scratch the of the "coloured lights that hypnotize", and you see a whole lot of misery.
I wonder how many people reading this know where it's from??????

That song just about sums up for me just why I would never live in the USA.

" I don't need your war machines.
I don't need your ghetto scenes.
Coloured lights can hypnotize
Sparkle someone else's eyes".

Old 05-15-2013, 10:58 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Seattle is not ideal for me, my long term goal is to move to San Diego.
All the best to you. I'm glad, you found a place that you like.

Overall, I think, this thread went in a wrong direction. Many posts are confrontational and for the most part, off-topic. This is not what I indented at all when I started the thread. I wished, people would just vote and not post anything at all, if there is no way to have a meaningful discussion.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 05-16-2013 at 12:06 AM..

Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,293,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Lol! You mean the law that hasn't even kicked in yet?
I'm a nurse, not a psychic.
Please do not ever open a business. Your ability to forecast is pretty much non existent.

While we are at it, you better cancel those dinner reservations for this weekend, how on earth would you know for sure if the restaurant will actually open without psychic abilities??

Quote:
Sigh.....no, it's not. Again, I'm comparing my big city with your big cities.
Do you need me to send you a map? That is exactly the point I was making.

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 05-16-2013 at 09:17 AM..

Old 05-16-2013, 11:18 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I presume you came to that conclusion from the many years spent directly dealing with the "US Healthcare system" or perhaps you are an expert in the field of healthcare and are well versed in the new Healthcare law. Specifically what part of the law is so off putting to you?
The cost. I am retired at 55. I would have to purchase healthcare coverage if I lived in the U.S. With getting old the 10 years before I could use Medicare could be very costly especially if I get sick, which according to my family history is probable.
I have seen my family members in Canada go through brain tumours, breast cancer, hip replacements, AIDS, and throat cancer. All still alive. All did not have to pay extra money out of pocket. Another friend who did have brain cancer did die, but again worrying about costs was not an issue.
My father also spent 10 days in the Palm Springs hospital. Thankfully he had extra coverage for out of country healthcare. They mis-diagnosed him. I suppose it can happen anywhere, but the mis-diagnosis under estimated his health. When the insurance company here had him flown back on a air ambulance, the doctors here discovered the real issue. He did not survive. I always wondered if they hadn't mis-diagosed him if he'd be alive. It kind of leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.
A friend from Spokane, Wa. had what he though was great coverage, until he needed it for a complicated knee injury. $25,000 dollars out of pocket, WITH COVERAGE. Other friends in L.A. self employed pay hundreds in premiums a month.
No thanks.

Last edited by Natnasci; 05-16-2013 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-16-2013, 11:43 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Labour laws in Canada are stronger. Mandated holiday time is one. It varies from province to province but since we are comparing ( or suppose to be comparing ) Vancouver with Seattle I'll give you examples.
In Washington state, from
Holiday, Vacation, Sick or Bereavement Leave
"An employer is not required to give workers paid holiday, vacation, sick or bereavement leave.
Paid leave for holidays, vacation, sickness or bereavement following the death of a close family member are considered “benefits” that may be paid by the business under a policy, written agreement, personal contract, oral agreement, collective bargaining agreement or other form of agreement. There are no state laws requiring that such benefits be given.
If the business agrees to give these benefits and then does not do so, workers may sue the business in a private legal suit in small claims court or through a private attorney. L&I does not enforce these agreements."

In B.C. from Government of B.C., Labour & Citizens' Services, Employment Standards Branch, Annual Vacation Factsheet

"The Employment Standards Act provides that employees are entitled to take time off for annual vacation and to be paid vacation pay."

In BC after working 12 months you are entitled to 2 weeks vacation, after 5 years you get 3 weeks. Companies differ but most keep increasing vacation after 10 years, 25 years etc.

Also in Canada there is paid maternity leave which comes out of the Employment insurance premiums that you have paid into. It can be as long as 65 although I think most, if they qualify, take 50 weeks. The employer can not fire you, but must have your job or a job of equal value when you return.

Maternity, parental and sickness benefits - Service Canada

As for hours of work there are all sets of rules depending on your job. Obviously some jobs require more hours in a day, week etc.

Overall though, people do get more time off in Canada. That is why I roll my eyes over reports that say Americans are more productive than Canadians. All it means is Americans put in longer hours, they are not more productive on a day to day basis.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:58 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Like I said in my previous post, Vancouver is a perfect mix of nature and urbanity. On the other hand, Seattle is a collection of suburbs (a.k.a "neighbourhoods" ) disconnected from each other. Seattle doesn't feel like a city at all. Seattle is a suburbia, and this is it's major flaw as far as I'm concerned. Vancouver is urban. Seattle is suburban. I much more prefer urban to suburban. Vancouver is urban, but at the same time, the access to outdoors is readily available at its doorsteps. The nature is right there, within city limits.
Now this is funny. Considering that once you step outside of the West End or downtown core of Vancouver--it feels and looks pretty average and suburban for the extent of the city. Just as much as anywhere in Seattle(or Portland). And Seattle's core feels about as urban as Vancouver for the most part with the exception of maybe the shiny condo towers in the West End and Yaletown--y'all do have a lot more of them purdy towers...

Quote:
Is that a joke? Seattle has no public/accessible waterfront, which is a shame for a city with such great geographical location. Shame, I said.
Wait, all those piers along the waterfront or Alki Beach aren't publically accesible? Could've fooled me...

Quote:
So what? Everybody works at Microsoft.
Maybe you're not familiar with Starbazonoeingintendo--I believe that's the name of the other small company in the Seattle area that people occasionally work for.

I love Vancouver and Seattle, but both cities have more than a few residents who insist on hilarious levels of hyperbole to tell the rest of us how amazing their cities are. The surrounding natural landscape of both cities is what makes them exceptional, though in terms of urban amenties--they're nice, but they aren't as impressive as some make them out to be. Outside of the downtowns or a few denser neighborhoods they feel pretty quiet with nice single family homes or even suburban(not that there's anything wrong with that).

Old 05-16-2013, 12:22 PM

230 posts, read 536,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Labour laws in Canada are stronger. Mandated holiday time is one. It varies from province to province but since we are comparing ( or suppose to be comparing ) Vancouver with Seattle I'll give you examples.
In Washington state, from
Holiday, Vacation, Sick or Bereavement Leave
"An employer is not required to give workers paid holiday, vacation, sick or bereavement leave.
Paid leave for holidays, vacation, sickness or bereavement following the death of a close family member are considered “benefits” that may be paid by the business under a policy, written agreement, personal contract, oral agreement, collective bargaining agreement or other form of agreement. There are no state laws requiring that such benefits be given.
If the business agrees to give these benefits and then does not do so, workers may sue the business in a private legal suit in small claims court or through a private attorney. L&I does not enforce these agreements."
Labour laws are stronger in Canada regardless of province, you're correct about that. Having said that, many employers in the US go above and beyond what is required - or more appropriately, what is not required - by law by granting bereavement, sick, vacation, and holiday time, though typically it's much less generous than in Canada. Additionally, where I was working in the States we were given 'Paid Time Off,' which are essentially discretionary days to use as you wish (unrelated to the above). That's all but non-existent in any Canadian workplace I've worked in (3 to date, and all have been 'good' jobs), where you have to use your sick days if you want a day off here and there.

Since we're discussing quality of life as it relates to the workplace in both countries it's also important to point out that I've found US workplaces to be typically more effectively managed and less covertly hostile than Canadian ones. Because of the higher rates of unionization here the relationship between staff and management is usually tense at best, and also I've been left puzzled more than a few times at the coworkers I've had that quite simply would NEVER last in a comparable workplace in the US. It's less of a true meritocracy than in the States, and it shows. All of that absolutely does affect quality of life.

Quote:
In B.C. from Government of B.C., Labour & Citizens' Services, Employment Standards Branch, Annual Vacation Factsheet

"The Employment Standards Act provides that employees are entitled to take time off for annual vacation and to be paid vacation pay."

In BC after working 12 months you are entitled to 2 weeks vacation, after 5 years you get 3 weeks. Companies differ but most keep increasing vacation after 10 years, 25 years etc.
Again, most (good) employers in the US offer this as well, but it's on a voluntary basis.

Quote:
Also in Canada there is paid maternity leave which comes out of the Employment insurance premiums that you have paid into. It can be as long as 65 although I think most, if they qualify, take 50 weeks. The employer can not fire you, but must have your job or a job of equal value when you return.

Maternity, parental and sickness benefits - Service Canada
You're correct only in theory. More than a few unfortunate new moms I know have returned to work after being on mat leave only to be laid off within days, and that in fact can happen legally while on mat leave.

Quote:
As for hours of work there are all sets of rules depending on your job. Obviously some jobs require more hours in a day, week etc.

Overall though, people do get more time off in Canada. That is why I roll my eyes over reports that say Americans are more productive than Canadians. All it means is Americans put in longer hours, they are not more productive on a day to day basis.
You're right, there's a much better work-life balance in Canada and on average, Canadians get more time off than Americans. I just wanted to bring some balance to the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada