Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:59 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times

Advertisements

What is your take on living in Canada vs US? From what I see the US is becoming so corrupt(big brother) and crime ridden(shootings everywhere,like the wild west). Those are my major concerns,aside from health care and economy(is yours going downhill as well?)...

Old 06-18-2013, 08:29 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,861,703 times
It's more peaceful and safe here. I used to live in South Jersey and for a family with kids, there is no comparison. Much more family oriented here in Southern Ontario. I feel comfortable letting my kids outside to walk to school or play. There are crossing guards during school breaks (kids are free to leave during break) and before and after school. Less violence. It's not like South Jersey where each town has its own school district and one town can be excellent (Haddonfield) while the next town can have horrible schools (Camden). Stuff is more expensive here, eating out, buying just about anything at the store, etc. but utilities are about the same. Less of a police state too, fewer cops.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
It's more peaceful and safe here. I used to live in South Jersey and for a family with kids, there is no comparison. Much more family oriented here in Southern Ontario. I feel comfortable letting my kids outside to walk to school or play. There are crossing guards during school breaks (kids are free to leave during break) and before and after school. Less violence. It's not like South Jersey where each town has its own school district and one town can be excellent (Haddonfield) while the next town can have horrible schools (Camden). Stuff is more expensive here, eating out, buying just about anything at the store, etc. but utilities are about the same. Less of a police state too, fewer cops.
Oh,well the south Jersey/Philadelphia area is probably one of the worst in the country and probably not the average for the US in general...so yes it probably is like black and white

As far as expenses,does it even itself out...like are earnings higher or anything or is the Canadian economy getting as tight as the US?...

Old 06-18-2013, 09:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
What is your take on living in Canada vs US? From what I see the US is becoming so corrupt(big brother) and crime ridden(shootings everywhere,like the wild west). Those are my major concerns,aside from health care and economy(is yours going downhill as well?)...
Good luck with this thread.

Not many Canadians here know what its like to live in the United States.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:51 PM

484 posts, read 1,286,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

And not many Americans here know what it's like to live in Canada.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:35 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:

This is true of some of us, I know I'm quite ignorant of what it's like to really live in the US, I mostly know it from some trips there, a lifetime of TV, movies, statistics and news, as well as hearing about it from American immigrants. I won't try to compare because all I have is book knowledge and second hand accounts. I will say that they're both huge countries and there's going to be massive regional and situational differences within the countries that make comparing difficult. An accountant living in rural Mississipi vs. Boston vs. Montreal vs. suburban Edmonton is going to have a pretty different life in all of them.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I lived in St Pertersburg Fla for a major part of my earlier years in the 60's and 70's and when i immigrated to Canada i didnt really notice much difference other than there was just more of everything in the USA.
That similarity has changed over the years,while Canada has remained somewhat the same IMO America seems to be going through a major crisis financially,politically and culturally.rightwing talking heads such as Limbaugh,Beck and the likes of FOX media are stirring the pot of hate/hysteria vigorously on just about every news story, looking through the Canadian section on the CD forum shows the general laissez faire attitude of most Canadians about the general events of the day, look then at the American politics section and its immediately obvious something's come off the rails down there (USA)..

Old 06-19-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I lived in St Pertersburg Fla for a major part of my earlier years in the 60's and 70's and when i immigrated to Canada i didnt really notice much difference other than there was just more of everything in the USA.
That similarity has changed over the years,while Canada has remained somewhat the same IMO America seems to be going through a major crisis financially,politically and culturally.rightwing talking heads such as Limbaugh,Beck and the likes of FOX media are stirring the pot of hate/hysteria vigorously on just about every news story, looking through the Canadian section on the CD forum shows the general laissez faire attitude of most Canadians about the general events of the day, look then at the American politics section and its immediately obvious something's come off the rails down there (USA)..
Thank you...so it's not just me seeing this;

Old 06-19-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:

I was asking what it's like living in Canada in general,as maybe also opposed to what they've heard about the US...

Old 06-19-2013, 07:31 AM

47 posts, read 65,363 times
Both great, lets look at positives and ditch the negatives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada