Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 12:45 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times

Advertisements

but those just bother you for a short time if at all, my kids were in tears and itching for 3 days, an 8 month old with it , it was horrible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2006, 07:51 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,397,267 times
I've thought seriously about moving to Canada in the past and wouldn't rule it out in the future. My only misgiving about doing so is the weather. Well, that and the accents.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:19 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,088,653 times
Question Complaints....

I thought it was just Florida that people complained about! I guess a lot of people are unhappy no matter where they live. They must have that "Jimmy Carter Malaise".
In case you want to read up on his speech.
http://www2.volstate.edu/socialscience/FinalDocs/1970s&beyond/malaise.htm (broken link)

Old 10-27-2006, 09:06 AM

108 posts, read 374,489 times
Thank you so much everyone for your replys,

I live in Florida, yes, fire ants I plan to live without very soon. It sure would be nice to have a picnic and play in the grass with my son again!!!!
I am originally from Ohio, nice state, very much so, moved down here cause my husband is down here...but moving to NC or SOMEWHERE soon!!

Old 10-27-2006, 09:12 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,674,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teressah View Post
Thank you so much everyone for your replys,

I live in Florida, yes, fire ants I plan to live without very soon. It sure would be nice to have a picnic and play in the grass with my son again!!!!
I am originally from Ohio, nice state, very much so, moved down here cause my husband is down here...but moving to NC or SOMEWHERE soon!!
I just moved from NC to AZ, LOTS of fire ants in NC as well as mosquitos and snakes!!

Old 02-03-2007, 01:27 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,821 times
I think I am probably the first Canadian to post here.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone does realize that Canada has summers that can be just as warm, if not warmer than some US states?

The winters are not that different from any of the Northern US - I always kind of find it a bit funny that people assume once you cross the border things radically change weather-wise. Of course the further North you go it will get colder, but it is a much more gradual change than people seem to realize.

As much as I do love Canada, I have to warn everyone that the health care system (which used to be GREAT) is starting to crumble. It may be free, but people are having a hard time even getting a doctor, especially in more rural areas. Then if you do have one, good luck getting an appointment! I did have wonderful physicians during childbirth, and times when you REALLY need the care... but trust me, you don't go to the dr. for a sniffle there!

I'm happy to answer any questions... I have lived in the west (Saskatchewan), my parents live near Ottawa Ontario (very familiar with that area),visited Alberta, BC, Manitoba, been to most of the major cities across the country and/or have friends that live there. I plead total ignorance when it comes to the Maritime provinces, however!

Old 02-03-2007, 03:22 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,387 times
I've seriously considered moving to Canada. I've been to Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, and Quebec City and I loved them all.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:13 PM

571 posts, read 2,530,556 times
There's a webpage somewhere on an official Canadian government website that has a little immigration questionaire you can do to see if you'd be a good candidate for getting a "green card" in Canada. A lot of it has to do with your education, job and language skills, etc. and if your charactaristics match up to fields that are in high demand there. I don't remember exactly where I found it, but it would be worth a google search if you're interested.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:42 PM

10 posts, read 25,128 times
Both countries are great and each have their issues. (good and bad)
I'm an American that has been living in Canada for the past 15 years.
The Canadian medical system is not free. We pay high taxes to cover these cost. Basic care is accessable though to everyone which is great. It is excellent for everyday issues, but if have something seriously wrong then it's another story. You would much prefer to be in the US assuming that you have health care!
Canadians can not deduct interest from your mortgage, but we are not taxed on the capital gains for your primary residence. Our typical mortage is for 4-6 year and not 25 -30. I still don't really understand why that is, although I have quite a high one myself.

I would not say or see any evidence that Canada is any more friendly to the enviroment.

Immigrating is not that easy although we need people.

It seems like the grass is alway greener. Canada is a big and diverse country as the US is. Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouer are not the same as any of the US cities or regions are not.
I think that most people in both countries have a real lack of understanding and knowledge for each others country.

Old 02-03-2007, 06:15 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,144,115 times
Hi there
I was born and raised in Alberta and lived there up until 6 years ago when I moved to the US to get married.
I must agree that the healthcare system is beginning to crumble and is definately not superior to the US. The healthcare I have received here (having two babies and an appendectomy) has been absolutely top notch. Yes it is extremely expensive if you don't have insurance (which we didn't) but there are ways of getting help with that. For my first baby I was able to get emergency Medicaid to pay for the hospital. For my appendectomy I applied for financial help and was eligible for the majority of it to be written off by the hospital. For my second; we did have to pay although the price was cut in half because of our circumstances. The medical system in Canada is definately not free it is just hidden in taxes. Yes it is wonderful to be able to go to the clinic and receive help just by showing your healthcare card but Canadians pay over 50% of their paychecks in taxes for that healthcare system. I guess I can only speak about the quality where I live but the quality here is in my opinion superior because it is privatized. (not that you won't recieve good care) Yes it is expensive but is quality and your personal health worth that? Ok enough ranting.
Environmentalism seems to be a bigger thing in Canada but I agree that I didn't see anything really that made Edmonton more environment friendly. Just as many people drive cars in Edmonton than any city with the same population.
Any questions you may have I would be happy to give my humble opinion on.

P.S. Thanks for the laugh dullnboring, eh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada