Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 08:45 PM

8 posts, read 27,015 times

Advertisements

Hi... I live in Canada ... Victoria BC and it is a beautiful city but getting busier all the time!
Not sure what I could tell you but ... just ask! If you would like to see some pics of BC I can send some!
Take care
MzTee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 09:01 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,170,377 times
I seriously looked into moving to Canada in 2000 on election night! I still think about it once in a while, but I think it's too cold there. Am I wrong?

Old 02-03-2007, 11:38 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,869 times
My husband was born in Canada became a US citizen when he was 19. He has alot of family there. His grandmother needed a knee replacment waited almost a year for the surgery. The schools are not so great. He would never live there again. However we love to go visit. Very pretty place.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:47 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,751,602 times
Default Hmmmm.... What's Too Cold?

Sunday's National Weather Service forecast for Phoenix: H 69-74, L 38-48

Sunday's Environment Canada forecasts:

Vancouver (The Banana Belt): High 46, Low 37 with rain

Edmonton: High 10, Low 5

Winnipeg: High -15, Low -35

Toronto: High 5, Low 9

Present conditions at my location: 12 degrees, winds 15mph gusting to 40 mph with blowing snow giving near zero visibility.

All degrees in Farenheit.

Overall, I'd say the Canadian forecasts are a little chillier than the one for Phoenix.

Seriously, though, except for the northern regions of Canada, the climate of any Canadian city will be very similar to the area of the US immediately adjacent to it. For example, Vancouver has weather similar to Seattle's.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:24 AM

266 posts, read 1,195,821 times
eddiemills,

Great post. I agree with what you say. It seems like Canada is viewed as some kind of homogeneous "whole" - that the entire country is the same. having lived both East and West as you did, I know that the diversity you talk of is definitely there! As well as the facade of the perfect government etc. that even most Canadians won't admit to.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:31 AM

8 posts, read 27,015 times
Hi..
Here in Victoria .. we have some snow once in a while, we have more rain than snow... but Vancouver has more rain than us! This year we have had snow for about a week and a big wind storm!
The wind storm is not a usual thing but all over the world has been changing with different weather everywhere!
I have lived in Victoria for 37 years and I do enjoy the summers ... though winters are not too bad here ... winter is not my favourite season!
Victoria seems to be getting real busy as many are moving here! It is known for retiring!
Spring and summer are very beautiful and we have many lakes, beaches, mountains and scenery!
Now... Alberta to Ontario are COLD! Also the coldest places in BC are like Courtney, and Kelowna and the Okanagan area though it is a dry cold and get more snow, and Vic and Van is a wet cold! This being so close to the water! The Okanagan is although very HOT during the summer months!
What else can I tell anyone!? Ummm.. one thing like most places houses are not cheap!
I love Victoria and the only thing I do not like is the fact that to get off the rock ... you have to take the BC ferries(or plane) and these are getting real expensive too!
I would not live in Vancouver as when I went to visit it is so busy car wise... it scares me to drive anywhere!
Hope all are having a great weekend!
Cheers!

Last edited by MzTee; 02-04-2007 at 09:53 AM..

Old 02-04-2007, 08:19 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Personally, I'll take cedar itch over the fire ants, killer bees, flies, mosquitoes, West Nile virus, and various poisonous spiders found in the warmer climates of the US.

But hey, to each his or her own!
We have flies, mosquitos, West Nile virus and probably at least one variety of poisonous spider in southern Ontario, and probably British Columbia too... Just no fire ants or killer bees.

*It's almost laughable that you think you'd get relief from mosquitos in Canada.

Some places they get so thick you can't breath without ingesting a few of those suckers. While vacationing in the Carolinas in August, I was impressed with how they seemed to have less mosquitos and other annoying bugs, even though they're surrounded by so much forest. I live in a big city and we still have more mosquitos most summers than you'd see in Myrtle Beach.

The only relief you might notice from here is when it's too cold for them. We have mosquitos from the time the first leaf buds open until autumn when the leaves are almost gone. Expect a mosquito season from April or May until September or October. Generally, the only time there can't be mosquitos is when it's cold enough to need at least a coat.

The Okanagan (cities like Kamloops) has the warmest/hottest summers in Canada normally, but this is not like Arizona desert heat. The hottest July average high is like 85 F, not 105 F like in Phoenix or Las Vegas...

However, parts of the Okanagan get up to 105 F at least one day a year in most summers, while the "hottest" part of Ontario sees days at 95 F with about the same frequency.

While it has the hottest high temp, it's not the warmest overall.

Kamloops might average 85 F in the day, but it averages 54 F as an overnight low.
In Toronto, we average about 80 F day and 60 F overnight.
Southernmost Canada (like Windsor) averages 82 F day and 65 F overnight.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 02-04-2007 at 08:32 PM..

Old 02-04-2007, 08:33 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,989,349 times
My mom's best friend is a Canadian from Vancouver. My parents met her and met her husband while sailing in their sailboats in the South Pacific and they immediately hit it off and they planned their voyages around together so they'd run into each other at predictable times. The Canadian woman is hilarious, a ton of fun and my mother becomes a teenage girl out for fun when they get together as they are SHAMELESS! But Val, the Canadian lady, was just in Africa with her husband and finally became concerned enough about what looked to be skin cancer on her shin to come home to British Columbia to take advantage of the Canadian medical system. She arrived in December and can't get an appointment until sometime in late Feb. or early March. If the cancer is basel cell or squamous cell carcinoma, it'll be fine and just a cosmetic issue. If it turns out to be Melanoma, she could lose most of the muscle in that part of her leg and if it has gone too long, it could metasticize throughout her body and lymph nodes and kill her in six months to a year.
We rail about American health care and it's true that tens of millions of us are uninsured, but most Americans are insured and I can speak from skin cancer experience with extensive MOHS surgeries that I was seen and tended to with expert care immediately upon having been examined. And I never had to wait more than a week for an appointment. I also never paid the approximately $75,000 spent so far on my cancer surgeries. I've paid only the co-payment which is $20 a shot and also for minor cosmetic acid treatment on veins in my nose left over from healing from another cancer surgery which the insurance company would not cover ($200).
I think the grass isn't always greener elsewhere, especially when your life depends on it.
If I were Val I'd come to the U.S. and just get it done, unfortunately, she can't enter the U.S. now because her passport is expired and she's trying to get that renewed too and there's a huge backlog.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:34 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,816,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
And I never had to wait more than a week for an appointment.
WOW! That's unheard of here!

Anyone who's life isn't threatened typically has to wait 1-3 months for a doctor's appointment around where I live. The shortest wait time I recall is about 3 weeks for a doctors appointment.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:05 PM

11,556 posts, read 53,199,057 times
We have several neighbors here in Wyoming who are Canadian citizens.

They own their Canadian properties and homes ... one is a 100+ acre ranch in BC ... free and clear.

They have the ability to exercise freedom of choice as to where they'd rather live.

I find it interesting that they choose to live here, South of the Border.

I've not discussed the details of their choice with them ... but as glowingly as they speak of the natural beauty of their homes, forests, rivers and lakes ... they prefer to live and work here, rarely going back to Canada.

Their family members come here to visit them in the USA, too, rather than my neighbors going back to Canada for family gatherings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada