Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 07:23 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,053,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
When I say Quebec French I am talking about the French spoken in Quebec. Whether spoken by a newscaster or a guy on garbage man. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't understand why you seem offended by the fact that Quebec has its own version of French. Would you prefer if I call it Canadian French? American French? What term should I use to avoid offending you? Or would you prefer we pretend French in Quebec is the same as France French or Haitian French? It is time to be more secure in our identity. Quebec is different and that should be celebrated, not covered up.
You really don't get it.

Please write out a little of bit of what you consider to be "Quebec French" for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 07:42 AM

428 posts, read 451,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You really don't get it.

Please write out a little of bit of what you consider to be "Quebec French" for us.
I have never clamed that Quebec French is written differently, although some non-official versions are. The accent in Quebec is very different from the French most people are used to. The truth is that outside of Canada Quebecois must modify their accent to be understood by French speakets, and 2nd language speakers of French hardly understand the Quebecois when they come to Quebec. I had a situation were a fluently bilingual friend came from France to Quebec (city) and the waiter asked him what he wanted to order and my friend said "oh I dont speak English". It was embarrassing and and i had to explain that the waiter did speak French. We still laugh about it today.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:45 AM

261 posts, read 275,953 times
I don't modify my accent to be understood by French speakers outside Canada.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernrebel View Post
I have never clamed that Quebec French is written differently, although some non-official versions are. .
Why don't you write something out as it is spoken in "Quebec French" then? (I am not looking to analyse spelling or grammar BTW.)

Old 02-10-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
I don't modify my accent to be understood by French speakers outside Canada.
I don't either, though I do avoid most colloquialisms from home, but sometimes drop some in just for fun...

I also purge my language of certain (North) Americanisms in English when I am in the more purely Commonwealth countries as well.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:25 PM

542 posts, read 503,690 times
Quebec is lenient and tolerant of anglophones. They enjoy full equality before the law and have appropriate political representation. If speaking the official language is too much to ask, there is no one stopping them from moving to one of the other nine provinces.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:23 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,865,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Must be frustrating ViveLeQuebecLibre, to see that through hard work and dedication Quebec has made itself into its own country over the last 60 years yet taking the last step to realize the dream of independence is illusive,particularly frustrating when your own French culture waffles on their dedication to a true French homeland and instead prefers to just go
on and on about how Anglos/ROC dont have Quebecs best interest at heart etc etc.Perhaps in the near future PKP can get the job done
Jambo can you share your experience as an Anglo Montrealer? Namely the difference between now and 20-30 years ago or before? I think you are the only Anglo Montrealer poster who lives there now so you have a unique perspective to share. I tried watching the documentary "Angryphone" but it seemed like propaganda.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
My posts over time should give you the idea where i'm coming from but to encapsulate my feelings i find it tough to live in a place where linguistic rules and regulations are the order of the day,language police are there to make sure linguistic rules are complied with, watching my Anglo culture being systematically legislated out of existence,watching Anglo street and town names being renamed to French,Watching all my friends and family move away, feeling the general loathing toward the Anglo culture, and even though i speak french i'm never accepted as a Quebecker, always an outsider,one of les autres.
And with a mere 8% of the Anglo culture remaining and no representation and absolutely no threat to the francophone cultures existence still more linguistic rules and regulations are required and the threat of separation is never far away.
And because i have a problem with this course of events i'm labeled an angryphone,a maudit Anglaise, some one who has a gall to actually speak up on the issue.
Probably most francophones dont see it as these laws/rules/regulations and attitudes arent directed at them,they'd certainly get the idea if there were an ROC equivalent of Bill101 and the OQLF and French was being actively legislated out of existence.

Last edited by jambo101; 02-13-2015 at 08:48 AM..

Old 02-13-2015, 10:20 AM

542 posts, read 503,690 times
Quote:
My posts over time should give you the idea where i'm coming from but to encapsulate my feelings i find it tough to live in a place where linguistic rules and regulations are the order of the day,language police are there to make sure linguistic rules are complied with, watching my Anglo culture being systematically legislated out of existence,watching Anglo street and town names being renamed to French,Watching all my friends and family move away, feeling the general loathing toward the Anglo culture, and even though i speak french i'm never accepted as a Quebecker, always an outsider,one of les autres.
And with a mere 8% of the Anglo culture remaining and no representation and absolutely no threat to the francophone cultures existence still more linguistic rules and regulations are required and the threat of separation is never far away.
And because i have a problem with this course of events i'm labeled an angryphone,a maudit Anglaise, some one who has a gall to actually speak up on the issue.
Probably most francophones dont see it as these laws/rules/regulations and attitudes arent directed at them,they'd certainly get the idea if there were an ROC equivalent of Bill101 and the OQLF and French was being actively legislated out of existence.
Oh, how dramatic. English isn't being legislated out of existence. French is being secured. There is still much work to be done in Montreal. Look at the anglo mansions in Baie d'Urfé. Look at McGill. Look at our bilingualism. Does that look like the state of a minority under siege? If anglos choose to leave Quebec that is their choice. They are treated better than francophones are outside of Quebec. They have nine provinces to choose from. Quebec encourages diversity and tolerance, but not anglo domination.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:52 AM

692 posts, read 957,946 times
Quote:
except that for a very long time, this was the reality for most Francophone Canadians both within and outside of Quebec. Sorry but not sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada