Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 12:59 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,513,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
True, society is just more peaceful in today's age.
That may be true, but when gun related murders/deaths happen its generally on a far worser scale than at any point in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 01:42 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
"Unwanted" or "unplanned" children are more likely to live in poverty and commit crimes? I dunno... but I've heard this mentioned several times.
that's not necessarily true. but children with single parents, or with parents who are not ready to be parents, definitely are more likely to live in poverty and commit crimes.

Having a child should be the result of careful long term planning based on need and financial resources available, not the result of cheap sex in the back of a car or the dormitory, in which case, of course the children are less likely to be a well functional member of the society. With mature and irresponsible parents who are hardly financially independent, what can you expect from the kids?

Old 04-27-2015, 02:10 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's not necessarily true. but children with single parents, or with parents who are not ready to be parents, definitely are more likely to live in poverty and commit crimes.

Having a child should be the result of careful long term planning based on need and financial resources available, not the result of cheap sex in the back of a car or the dormitory, in which case, of course the children are less likely to be a well functional member of the society. With mature and irresponsible parents who are hardly financially independent, what can you expect from the kids?
That's more what I meant.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:32 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,175,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Interesting point but unnecessarily graphic. How about shagging in the back of my Mercedes CLA? Is that cheap?

Old 04-27-2015, 02:41 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Interesting point but unnecessarily graphic. How about shagging in the back of my Mercedes CLA? Is that cheap?
cheap = meaningless, not in terms of monetary value!

girl becomes pregnant from having expensive sex with bostonkid in his expensive Mercedes, when bostonkid doesn't want to be a father .. girl gives birth to the baby, your baby, and his rich but irresponsible dad doesn't take care of them because he was "shagging"more girls, so the baby ends up not finishing grade 6 and becomes one of those street kids - torontokid

Old 04-27-2015, 03:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
From what I understand the correlation between access to abortion relates to crime,is not so much because of the access to abortions, but because countries that have an attitude that a women's body is her own also have much better attitudes to sex and sex education in particular. Meaning, less unwanted pregnancies.

I read somewhere that Canada has less abortions per capita than the US, where many states are restricting access to abortions. In Canada abortions are generally covered ( hospital vs clinic, New Brunswick only pays for hospital abortions ) by our healthcare plan, making access available.

In Canada, I've read that PEI is one place where access is harder than in the ROC.

Funding | Abortion in Canada

Old 04-28-2015, 12:46 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
That may be true, but when gun related murders/deaths happen its generally on a far worser scale than at any point in the past.
Not really, Gun related murders were through the roof in the mid 90s and went way down by 2000 in the United States, i assume a similar pattern is also happening elsewhere

Old 04-28-2015, 04:16 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Google away my friend, Tons of stuff out there on the reduction in crime and a lot of it mentions aging.
An aging population does not necessarily lead to less crime: example and another example. Engaging in criminal activities is a mindset which does not necessarily disappear with age, if you're stealing at 8 you will probably still be stealing at 80. The odds of getting busted probably do increase with age.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:53 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
The crack epidemic in many US cities also contributed to the high murder rate. The rate went down when the epidemic abated.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:31 AM

3,867 posts, read 5,292,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
From what I understand the correlation between access to abortion relates to crime,is not so much because of the access to abortions, but because countries that have an attitude that a women's body is her own also have much better attitudes to sex and sex education in particular. Meaning, less unwanted pregnancies.

I read somewhere that Canada has less abortions per capita than the US, where many states are restricting access to abortions. In Canada abortions are generally covered ( hospital vs clinic, New Brunswick only pays for hospital abortions ) by our healthcare plan, making access available.

In Canada, I've read that PEI is one place where access is harder than in the ROC.

Funding | Abortion in Canada
Not sure I understand your point (The connection between paragraph A and B). The abortion rate in the US per capita is on par with Sweden, Australia and New Zealand. You know the same Sweden that has made sex education mandatory since 1956. Google the "Swedish dancing penis and vagina video" Its actually pretty funny, but they are hardly behind the times on sex education.

Here is the most up to date abortion map. Yes the countries in the "Green" section tend to be safer Western countries for the most part, but there are some outliers with higher murder rates like the US, Guyana, etc..There are also Islamic countries on the other end of the spectrum that have very low crime rates, but very restrictive policies towards abortion rights.

http://www.reproductiverights.org/si...sheet_2013.pdf

Of course once again this comes down to demographics, not sure what else needs to be broken down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada