Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Shania - country?
If you talking Canadas eastern culture its more like Great Big Sea, Stomping Tom Connors or the now defunct Rankin Family country .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 01:23 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Okay, Fusion, let's look at what's happening in Toronto.

When I lived there, I played music with a loose agglomeration of musicians that appeared in local pubs and bars. We played mostly Celtic/Maritime/Appalachian/Ottawa Valley music, with a lot of traditional instruments--fiddles and guitars, of course; but also tin whistles and bodhrans and spoons and bones and other instruments. We tried to turn every gathering into what Maritimers would call a "kitchen party," or if we were lucky, they'd call it a ceildlh (KAYED-lee)--an even better kitchen party.

On my trips to the Maritimes, I've played in Halifax with buskers on the docks, in jam sessions in a Halifax pub (and been invited back), and even joined in with the band in a St. John's pub and on the ferry between North Sydney NS and Argentia, Nfld.

But here in the west, nobody has heard of that stuff. I played Stan Rogers' "Mary Ellen Carter" for a group of local friends recently, and none had ever heard it. They loved the story that the song told, and a few were even inspired by it, but they all had no idea that the song even existed. Same for the Barra McNeils' work, for Tanglefoot's, for that of the Irish Descendants, and so on.

What they did know was country (Shania Twain, Terri Clark, and so on), oldies from the 60s, 70s, and 80s that their parents listened to, and local country artists. They are young people, so rap and hip-hop are also known. And some local bands of all stripes that appear weekly at various venues. But they had no idea of the music produced by eastern Canada.

Why is this? Why do Alberta's young people know nothing of the music of eastern Canada? At the same time, why hasn't eastern Canada embraced Alberta's country music (outside of international artists, like Terri Clark), or that of other western provinces?

What binds us? What divides us? Music seems to divide us; what else does?
Is the fiddle historically less popular in western Canada?

Old 05-13-2015, 04:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Okay, Fusion, let's look at what's happening in Toronto.

When I lived there, I played music with a loose agglomeration of musicians that appeared in local pubs and bars. We played mostly Celtic/Maritime/Appalachian/Ottawa Valley music, with a lot of traditional instruments--fiddles and guitars, of course; but also tin whistles and bodhrans and spoons and bones and other instruments. We tried to turn every gathering into what Maritimers would call a "kitchen party," or if we were lucky, they'd call it a ceildlh (KAYED-lee)--an even better kitchen party.

On my trips to the Maritimes, I've played in Halifax with buskers on the docks, in jam sessions in a Halifax pub (and been invited back), and even joined in with the band in a St. John's pub and on the ferry between North Sydney NS and Argentia, Nfld.

But here in the west, nobody has heard of that stuff. I played Stan Rogers' "Mary Ellen Carter" for a group of local friends recently, and none had ever heard it. They loved the story that the song told, and a few were even inspired by it, but they all had no idea that the song even existed. Same for the Barra McNeils' work, for Tanglefoot's, for that of the Irish Descendants, and so on.

What they did know was country (Shania Twain, Terri Clark, and so on), oldies from the 60s, 70s, and 80s that their parents listened to, and local country artists. They are young people, so rap and hip-hop are also known. And some local bands of all stripes that appear weekly at various venues. But they had no idea of the music produced by eastern Canada.

Why is this? Why do Alberta's young people know nothing of the music of eastern Canada? At the same time, why hasn't eastern Canada embraced Alberta's country music (outside of international artists, like Terri Clark), or that of other western provinces?

What binds us? What divides us? Music seems to divide us; what else does?
lol - i can't answer all your questions Chevy but I can tell you the music has changed in Toronto since you were fiddle didling here The guy with Rob Ford in the video I posted is Joel Zimmerman aka Deadmau5... He is one of the worlds top progressive house DJ's.. He's certainly has been one of the most prolific global DJ's in the world over the last decade or so.. Not only is he a T.O native he still lives and produces most of his stuff here. This vid below is of him in Camden UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuQXsaB7wT4

Drake of course is part of the U.S money machine but still a Toronto born Rapper, still has residence here and raps about T.O quite a bit..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_(rapper)

Now i'd say in T.O there's alot more homegrown Indie musicians than representing the above genre's but still - we're doing our part in this day and age

Anyway, I think many of us know what binds us... What divides - I'd say a sparsely populated country with great distances between anglo regions.. I posted this in the other thread to AJ - look at Southern Ontario - the most densely populated part of Ontario by far and actually the most densely populated part of Canada (almost the same number of people live in the Golden Horsehoe as in the entire population of B.C and Alberta) yet look at who borders us - Michigan, New York State and Quebec... NOt that i'm complaining about that but Quebec isn't exactly going to reinforce our Anglo culture and well - Mi and NY are American.. The closest western city to us longitudinally with over a million people in western Canada is Edmonton - like that is far away... Even the Maritimes are cut off from us.. I don't think this tells the whole story but it does explain some things from where i'm standing.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-13-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 05-13-2015, 05:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
I'm with Fusion2, I'm kind of worn out on this topic from the other thread.

I will repeat this though. Just because a lot of the English Culture, is regional, doesn't make it less Canadian. If other countries can claim something regional as being part of their culture, so can we. Is Los Angles less American because it's not like Seattle?

Also First Nations culture. Haida Gwaii and coastal B.C. has is own unique culture, and is part of the fabric of BC cultural identity.
Again, if people can think of the Maori and New Zealand as one, we can too. Same with Aboriginals in Australia, same with the US.

I can repeat over and over again about our singers and artists etc, but some here shoot those things down because , god forbid, they speak or sing in the same language as our neighbours south of us. Apparently they have to be standing on their heads or something before we are allowed to claim them as part of English Canadian culture. I wonder what Rita Macneil would of done

Should I start informing Americans that apple pie is NOT American, and that cowboys...well they have them in Australia, Argentina and even Mexico so they really aren't your culture? Of course not, because these things become PART of a culture. All cultures borrow and blend.

Truly, if people don't know what English Canadian culture is, do some simple research. Look up the many authors, actors, singers etc. Heck in Vancouver we have the Vancouver Chamber Choir. Respected around the world, performs around the world.
They are the ONLY choir to have been requested to perform in front of the Emperor and Empress of Japan in a private concert at a private home at the request of the Empress. She was given a CD while in Vancouver, and obviously loved it. They cover all the great composers of course, but for those who are starting to rant that choirs aren't Canadian and Bach isn't Canadian, relax, they perform a lot Canadian written works as well.

Happy hunting.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm with Fusion2, I'm kind of worn out on this topic from the other thread.

I will repeat this though. Just because a lot of the English Culture, is regional, doesn't make it less Canadian. If other countries can claim something regional as being part of their culture, so can we. Is Los Angles less American because it's not like Seattle?

Also First Nations culture. Haida Gwaii and coastal B.C. has is own unique culture, and is part of the fabric of BC cultural identity.
Again, if people can think of the Maori and New Zealand as one, we can too. Same with Aboriginals in Australia, same with the US.

I can repeat over and over again about our singers and artists etc, but some here shoot those things down because , god forbid, they speak or sing in the same language as our neighbours south of us. Apparently they have to be standing on their heads or something before we are allowed to claim them as part of English Canadian culture. I wonder what Rita Macneil would of done

Should I start informing Americans that apple pie is NOT American, and that cowboys...well they have them in Australia, Argentina and even Mexico so they really aren't your culture? Of course not, because these things become PART of a culture. All cultures borrow and blend.

Truly, if people don't know what English Canadian culture is, do some simple research. Look up the many authors, actors, singers etc. Heck in Vancouver we have the Vancouver Chamber Choir. Respected around the world, performs around the world.
They are the ONLY choir to have been requested to perform in front of the Emperor and Empress of Japan in a private concert at a private home at the request of the Empress. She was given a CD while in Vancouver, and obviously loved it. They cover all the great composers of course, but for those who are starting to rant that choirs aren't Canadian and Bach isn't Canadian, relax, they perform a lot Canadian written works as well.

Happy hunting.
Great post as usual and I miss Rita!! She was a beautiful soul!!

Old 05-13-2015, 09:04 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Is the fiddle historically less popular in western Canada?
As a violin used in symphony orchestras, no. It is also used in country music (which is popular out here), but most often in the "hurtin' and cheatin'" stuff. But used as it is in places like Cape Breton by people like Natalie McMaster? We rarely hear that kind of fiddle playing out here.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:09 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Shania - country?
When she started, she was country--see, for example, "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?" But she's kind of crossed over into pop now.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:10 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Great post as usual and I miss Rita!! She was a beautiful soul!!
Though she would have had trouble standing on her head! (cf previous post)

Old 05-13-2015, 09:24 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Why does it even matter? How does a cross-country celtic music fan legion make a country more legitimate? It's all just baggage that starts international pissing contests. Imagine being the first place to not be like 'well we do this!'.

If I had to narrow it down to something, I wouldn't choose a random semi-ubiquitous activity anyways. I would describe the political values because that's really all that matters to me. I don't care about organized sports or canoe trips. Most people don't, and why would they anyways when already half + an increasing segment of the population is a recent arrival in Canada?

Old 05-13-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Though she would have had trouble standing on her head! (cf previous post)
Huh lol - what am I missing..?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada