Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 11:00 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
complete horse crap...im not a troll
We spent OUR memorial day weekend at the pinery provincial park, like we have for over a decade (we missed last year)...and it was different...I listed extreme cases...I have no reason to troll this forum

it wasn't just me...everyone in our group of 11 couples felt like we were looked down upon
we are older, all have nice rv's, we don't get drunk or loud as we have a ton of kids...we keep clean camp sites...

But why would you assume that in Canada they take US dollars? I and few friend from Philly visited there Canada a number of times and we never even thought to use US dollars. I don't get that part of your story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 11:05 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
11-12 couples walking around a campsite after dark toting boxes of alcohol and you are surprised the cops made an issue out of it?, sounds to me like several of the campers probably called the cops on a rowdy bunch of drunks wandering through the campsite.I think you guys got off lightly as by what i'm seeing on American media had this occurance happened in the USA it would have involved dozens of cop cars,much small arms fire with several cadavers being the result.

Oh please what an exaggeration. The millions of Canadians flooding down here to real beaches with decent water temps don't seem to fear being shot by police. Quit believing the over hyped stories on stupid news networks down here. Millions and millions of Americans are roaming around camps and parks all summer long with nary an incident with police. Jeez.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:48 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
oh please what an exaggeration. The millions of canadians flooding down here to real beaches with decent water temps don't seem to fear being shot by police. quit believing the over hyped stories on stupid news networks down here. Millions and millions of americans are roaming around camps and parks all summer long with nary an incident with police. Jeez.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:16 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,405,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
But why would you assume that in Canada they take US dollars? I and few friend from Philly visited there Canada a number of times and we never even thought to use US dollars. I don't get that part of your story.
Based on my experience in retail in Canada, there are a number of Americans who assume that any country that is not the USA is just dying to get their hands on US dollars. Our store took US dollars, but at a horrendous exchange rate (e.g. if the bank rate was 20%, we'd pay 10%--US currency was a PITA when we deposited the day's receipts at the bank; might as well make Americans who insisted on using US dollars pay for the privilege).

Interestingly, a bank was right next door to our store in the plaza. Some Americans who used US dollars complained about our exchange rate. We told them to go next door and exchange their American dollars for Canadians ones, at the bank rate. A better deal, no question.

"But then I'll have Canadian dollars! And what will I do with those?"

Old 05-30-2015, 05:00 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
I do appreciate the OP coming back and apologizing. I understand it was a rant, and you were pissed.

I apologize for my fly off the handle reply.

So, you had a bad experience. Come back up and try it again.

Last edited by Magnatomicflux; 05-30-2015 at 05:08 AM..

Old 05-30-2015, 05:26 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Canadians & Canadian banks call them ABMs (Automated Banking Machines) because ATM (T for teller) implies a narrower scope of just 'teller' transaction capabilities.
Thank you. I knew there was a language such as "Canadian" but my kids keep calling it "English."

Old 05-30-2015, 11:14 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Here's an example of how Canadians are treated by people from the US when traveling abroad: My son was recently at a resort in Mexico where he met several travellers from the US. When they asked him where he was from, he first mentioned a Canadian city ... blank stare. Then he mentioned a Canadian province ... blank stare. He then mentioned Canada. Yes, the US travellers had heard of Canada. After a few days of this, he decided to mimic that reaction. When he asked US travellers where they were from and they said Los Angeles or Austin, he gave them a blank stare. When they said California or Texas, he gave them a blank stare, and when they said the US, he gave a smile and said that he'd heard of the US.

This experience should enlighten people from the US. Mutual respect is what is expected. My son's impression was that people from the US expect others should know about their country, but they clearly have no interest in knowing about someone else's country. Can I go to the US and use Euros at the grocery store? Why not? Should I be upset that I can't use my chosen currency in the US?

Old 05-30-2015, 12:07 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Here's an example of how Canadians are treated by people from the US when traveling abroad: My son was recently at a resort in Mexico where he met several travellers from the US. When they asked him where he was from, he first mentioned a Canadian city ... blank stare. Then he mentioned a Canadian province ... blank stare. He then mentioned Canada. Yes, the US travellers had heard of Canada. After a few days of this, he decided to mimic that reaction. When he asked US travellers where they were from and they said Los Angeles or Austin, he gave them a blank stare. When they said California or Texas, he gave them a blank stare, and when they said the US, he gave a smile and said that he'd heard of the US.

This experience should enlighten people from the US. Mutual respect is what is expected. My son's impression was that people from the US expect others should know about their country, but they clearly have no interest in knowing about someone else's country. Can I go to the US and use Euros at the grocery store? Why not? Should I be upset that I can't use my chosen currency in the US?
Wow.

Look, I get that it's mildly annoying to encounter people when travelling who know little to nothing about Canada. I've experienced it, too. But to resort to passive-aggressive tactics to get back at someone for their lack of knowledge of Canada (which has nothing to do with "respect," btw)- is childish and petty.

If you're gonna get angry whenever you meet people who don't know enough about Canada to suit you, then be prepared to spend a heck of a lot of precious time upset, because there are LOTS of people everywhere who know very little about Canada. If you think Americans are clueless, gosh, talk to people from other countries. They make the average American look like experts on Canada. Canada is, simply, a little-known entity. I have no idea why that is so, but it is what it is.

And if I ever meet your son on my travels, however, I'm going to tell him I'm from Salcoats or Ardrossan. If there's no flicker of recognition in his eyes, then I'll play dumb when he tells me he's from Kitchener or White Rock. He'll have it comin' for showing so little respect.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 05-30-2015 at 12:21 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 12:09 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post

That post is not fair at all.

I was at Club Med Cancun in October 1989. I met a Manitoban. I asked him what city and he said I had probably never heard of Manitoba. I told him, jokingly, that I came from Churchill and shot polar bears for a living. He was amazed I was aware that Churchill was known for polar bears; even though I would venture to guess that 98% of Americans know that.

My knowledge of Canada is admittedly spotty. I can name by heart the PM's only from Laurier (around the turn of the last century) forward and I often forget who followed Macdonald, Canada's first PM. I can't name the GG's prior to the current one, David Johnston and his predescessor, Michelle Jean. Sometimes I remember the one immediately before (the CBC woman) and do know of Byng and Vanier. Other than that my knowledge is limited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Wow.

Look, I get that it's mildly annoying to encounter people when travelling who know little to nothing about Canada. I've experienced it, too. But to resort to passive-aggressive tactics to get back at someone for their lack of knowledge of Canada (which has nothing to do with "respect," btw)- is childish and petty.

If you're gonna get angry whenever you meet people who don't know enough about Canada to suit you, then be prepared to spend a heck of a lot of precious time upset, because there are LOTS of people everywhere who know very little about Canada. If you think Americans are clueless, gosh, talk to people from other countries. They make the average American look like experts on Canada. Canada is, simply, a little-known entity. I have no idea why that is so, but it is what it is.

And if I ever meet your son on my travels, however, I'm going to tell him I'm from Salcoats or Ardrossan. If there's no flicker of recognition in his eyes, then I'll play dumb when he tells me he's from Kitchener or White Rock. He'll have it comin' for showing so little respect.
Further to my post above, most Canadians do not really appreciate Americans that do know about their country.

I do not know if this is "passive-aggressive" or not, but one guy I met in Canada assumed that Americans are dumb about their own history as well as that of Canada.

This guy, who I met in the bar in Niagara Falls, watching the Mapleleafs' playoff hopes die again, challenged me to ask him "any question on American history" for a beer. I asked him "which U.S. presidents were elected in the House rather than the usual way" (meaning by the Electoral College). The right answer is Jefferson (over John Adams) in 1800 and John Quincy Adams (over Andrew Jackson) in 1824. He guessed "the Roosevelt-Taft election." I said "that was the one where the Republicans were outpolled by an independent party, much like happened to the PC in 1993 when Reform and Bloc outpolled them."

He said "I give up, you know more about Canada then I do about the U.S." I reminded him I advised him against the bet.

Can I possibly be unique? I doubt it.

Last edited by jbgusa; 05-30-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 12:20 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Wow.

If you're gonna get angry whenever you meet people who don't know enough about Canada to suit you, then be prepared to spend a heck of a lot of precious time upset, because there are LOTS of people everywhere who know very little about Canada. If you think Americans are clueless, gosh, talk to people from other countries. They make the average American look like experts on Canada. Canada is, simply, a little-known entity. I have no idea why that is so, but it is. It is what it is.

I don't think anyone is "angry" that people in the US are ignorant about how things are in other countries ... but apparently it is entertaining from a youthful perspective to toy with people from the US when they presume that people from other countries know all about the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada