Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 11:15 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And also what matters to the U.S. border agents who ask you "have you ever been arrested?" in this age of database sharing guess what happens if you answer incorrectly to that one?

Getting thrown into cells overnight because you got caught speeding near Piapot Sask in 1962 at night on a souped up Triumph T120 Bonneville with no money for hotel expenses and assessed a $30 dollar fine by a sympathetic 1957 ex-judge-advocate-general member of the RCN does not excuse you from answering 'yes' to that query and once you explain the details and all attendant have a good chuckle; you're on your merry way, but god forbid you lie about that 'arrest' thingy.
Exactly. It's almost a test of trust. If you lie about that, why should they believe anything else you have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 11:36 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
If you were arrested as a teenager before turning 18, Do you still have to tell them about it?

Old 09-01-2016, 01:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
If you were arrested as a teenager before turning 18, Do you still have to tell them about it?
I would still tell them since they are asking if you've EVER been arrested. They should be following this though.

"Crimes that Shouldn’t Prevent Entry to the U.S.
Not all crimes will result in being denied entry to the U.S.

Crimes that are not considered moral turpitude include where the individual has committed only one crime of moral turpitude, and:
the crime was committed when the individual was under 18 years of age and the crime was committed more than five years ago
the crime did not exceed one year of imprisonment
if the individual was convicted of the crime, but the individual was not sentenced to imprisonment for a term greater than six months
Offences like fail to appear, causing a disturbance, common assault and impaired driving are not ordinarily considered in determining your admissibility to the country. In addition, multiple convictions involving crimes which are NOT classified as crimes involving moral turpitude ordinarily do not block your entry."

Crimes that will make you inadmissible to the U.S. – ezbordercrossing.com

Old 09-01-2016, 01:28 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Looking back at my comments, I phrased some in a way that might lead to the conclusion that I'm Canadian talking about crossing into the US. I live close to southern US border, in the US, and was referring to crossing into Canada from the US.

Not surprised, however, that US Border Patrol Agents look for a similar sort of criminal history.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:08 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Americans can get a criminal record for the most minuscule offenses. I have VERY few friends (even within my professional circle) who have never been to jail, at least for a few hours. It's ridiculous.

I know of only 2 people in my circle of friends and acquaintances (obviously ASAIK) that have a criminal record of sort.

One got drunk as a skunk at 17 and went on a shop window breaking tirade with a group of teen friends and this came back to haunt him few decades later when he tried to get a NEXUS card (he got denied).

Another, years ago, foolishly did not check for an empty chamber in his Glock and re-casing the gun back from the range accidentally let one round rip through the wall of his apartment (unfortunately, despite its popularity with law enforcement and civilians, the Glock is extremely prone to accidental discharge by human mistake, I would never own one for this very reason) and he got charged with illegal discharging of a firearm....he never got physically arrested nor he lost his gun rights but there is something there in his record.

If you do not do stupid things and pay your taxes is not that easy to get a criminal record in the US.....most of the problem with "normal" people having criminal record has always been substance abuse ...stay away from alcohol excessive consumption and drug and you eliminate 99% of the chances you may land in jail sometimes.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:24 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,750 times
The OP has already answered his own question; Canada doesn't constitute enough of a culture shock for adventurous travel fiends. I'm no exception. It's not *that* different from the US, and I've been to Canada several times. It's not identical, but it's pretty similar. It's essentially a very cold US with metric speed limit signs. I harbor no ill will towards Canada. I've met numerous Canadians, and they were pretty cool people. I wouldn't say no to another trip to Canada, but if given the choice, there's about 100 other countries I'd rather visit.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:52 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Thanks for the reply Nat

Old 09-01-2016, 04:49 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,821,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
The OP has already answered his own question; Canada doesn't constitute enough of a culture shock for adventurous travel fiends. I'm no exception. It's not *that* different from the US, and I've been to Canada several times. It's not identical, but it's pretty similar. It's essentially a very cold US with metric speed limit signs. I harbor no ill will towards Canada. I've met numerous Canadians, and they were pretty cool people. I wouldn't say no to another trip to Canada, but if given the choice, there's about 100 other countries I'd rather visit.
I agree. Fellow NoVa-er!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:19 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Americans can get a criminal record for the most minuscule offenses. I have VERY few friends (even within my professional circle) who have never been to jail, at least for a few hours. It's ridiculous.
That's interesting. I can't think of anyone in my wider entourage who's been to jail.

The comments about DUI-DWIs being very common also surprise me. I also don't have anyone even somewhat close to me who's had one. And almost everyone I know drinks.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:49 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's interesting. I can't think of anyone in my wider entourage who's been to jail.
I've met many who have been or are in jail. Of course, I'm representing them.

Quote:
The comments about DUI-DWIs being very common also surprise me. I also don't have anyone even somewhat close to me who's had one. And almost everyone I know drinks.
DWIs are very common. On any given day, I can walk into the local courthouse, and see at least a dozen matters involving DWIs in the criminal court, and this is in a city of just less than 100,000. In a circuit court within the same judicial district (which sits one day a week), there will be about six per week.

That being said, I can only think of two people I know--not close friends--who have been convicted of DWI. Maybe it's because my close friends are sensible enough to plan ahead: designated drivers, taxis, etc.; and I imagine that yours are too, AJ. Sadly, not everyone plans ahead, like you and me and our friends do, and they end up facing DWI charges in court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada