Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel?
POSITIVE - Thats so fascinating; I wonder what they could be doing here! 13 25.00%
NEUTRAL - Doesn't really think anything of it. 30 57.69%
NEGATIVE - America's govt causes too much problems in the world 9 17.31%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 05:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times

Advertisements

I know several things about them
The car approaching me is a clown car with creatures in it that act dress and behave like clowns- large gestures and very loud
They assume they are experts on other cultures languages and customs because they once took a college class of comparative cultures and ethnics studies taught by someone that read a synopsis about the subject Extracted from a few books written by someone that once did some over seas studies and had an advance degree in comparative cultures
The clowns themselves have never lived in a foreign country and speak no foreign language
As they approach you they radiate great confidence in their knowledge of your culture and language
Bring in the clowns

Old 06-08-2019, 07:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Very true. When I travelled through Europe when I was 21 -- many, many, MANY moons ago in 1986 -- we were told (I don't remember by whom) to get patches or stickers of a maple leaf to put on our luggage (and on ourselves) so that people would know that we were Canadian, not American.
Had you travelled overseas in the 60's and 70's you would have seen many, many Americans wearing Canadian identifiers.

It was almost comical when real Canadians were questioned as to their actual nationality because the overseas tourism/hospitality industry had become accustomed to all the "fake" Canadians.

It was not uncommon you'd meet some appearing as Canadians and within five minutes of discussion it became apparent they were "passing". Not a big deal as they garnered sympathy from those of us understanding the average American wanted no part of being in Vietnam which was sort of what brought all the anti-Americanism to the fore during that period.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:59 AM

613 posts, read 814,971 times
I'm actually surprised how often I have been spotted as a Canadian in other parts of the world. I don't normally wear anything that would point to my nationality and use local currency, or US dollars, but I have often been outed as Canadian almost immediately. It's happened in Europe, Africa, and most often in the Carribean.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:59 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, that's really interesting because as an American, I have wracked my brain and honestly cannot think of a single American that I know who is in their 50s or 60s and limps or uses a cane or a walker.

Maybe you're seeing people who are really in their 70s or older and who just look great other than their limp!
That post you responded to, was ridiculous. I'm developing a bias against Canadians, after reading some of these posts. Some of them really, don't have a clue.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:22 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,540,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
That post you responded to, was ridiculous. I'm developing a bias against Canadians, after reading some of these posts. Some of them really, don't have a clue.
Ahem.

One should also be aware that on the " internet " anonymous people are often not who they say they are.

I could choose a moniker like Nevadabob2, and really be from Minsk.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:37 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
My attitude is: I'm very glad to see them. We have lost so many visitors from the US since 9/11 because of the passport laws and just a fear of traveling into the unknown. Where they used to explore other countries, I find they are staying home and traveling the US instead.

Before 9/11, we used to see many American cars towing RV's coming through our town headed out to explore our wonderful country. Now, those numbers are cut in half at LEAST. They just stopped coming.

Don't blame it on passports: getting a passport is easy. Not that cheap for a large family, but people rarely have big families any more and besides, once you have them they last for 10 years.

Also, another thing they seem to fear is going through a border. What is the big deal? Nothing. It is easy as long as you tell the truth when they ask questions, and don't have a DUI even if it's 20 years old (which is ridiculously called a criminal offense IMO) or other criminal offenses. (which I totally agree with)

If they only realized that what they lose in gas money in Canada, the exchange rate more than makes up for it, especially in groceries, camping supplies, etc.

Maybe they don't like that they can't buy booze at corner (party) stores? dunno

Old 06-18-2019, 04:05 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,899,454 times
If its Kawhi Leonard after signing a contract to stay in Canada, I would feel very happy.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
I love going to Canada (though it has been years, now that I live closer to the other border) In addition to childhood camping trips up into the Maritimes, annual trips to Quebec with my French class in middle and high school, and years of canoe and kayak trips in Ontario, I barely noticed the border. While I certainly recognized Canada as another country, I considered us more like Norway and Sweden, more like cultural kin, than foreign neighbors.

I have met and chummed about with Canadians, both on this side and that side of the border, my whole life and nationality has never been an issue (with one weird exception*). Like literally, apart from the initial, 'Where are you from?' conversation, it never comes up again.

*Once, when staying at a hostel in Germany, I was chatting with my roomates who were a group of young Canadians backpacking Europe. After several minutes chatting, and after planning to join them on an excursion, one woman in the group asked where I was from. When I replied, "New York", she said, Oh... I thought I detected a Canadian accent..."

Then I got the cold shoulder from the whole group.

I ended up hanging out with three Irish girls instead. Not complaining :-)

Old 06-18-2019, 05:48 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
If its Kawhi Leonard after signing a contract to stay in Canada, I would feel very happy.
I wouldn't be holding my breath on that one were I you. No one could blame him for going where the money will be greater for the limited amount of time he has to enjoy being at the top of his game.

I certainly wouldn't fault the kid if some team in the U.S. bids an astronomical amount of coin for the guy and he accepts. He doesn't strike me as the type who'd be quick to purchase a Maseratti and 12 pounds of gold chains ….. but ...the siren song of incomparable wealth is hard to ignore.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:45 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,338,167 times
We have lived it over the last 35 years. The boss is a bi - though when you shake her down she is really a Santa Monican from Canada...but that part of Canada that is interesting. Born about 100 miles north of Montana. We go back periodically though it has now been a while. We are getting old.

Conversing with brother in law and neighbor in their yard on their little 6 section farm. Neighbor says "He will never be thought to be a Canadian farmer" "Cannot pronounce "Ehhh" correctly".

We spent a lot of time there over the years. Even a couple of weeks sailing up and down the inland passage. The crew was mixed American and Canadian...I would observe we were all foreigners when we got to False Harbor on Lesquite Island.

Niece and husband are grain farmers in Saskatchewan. Poor kids have to spend 3 months of the winter in Hawaii to deal with the Sask winter.

We found a long time ago we could pass if we wish. She acually can speak "great plain Canadian and I can speak standard English that no one can place.

A final one. Down in AZ we were in a tourist attraction with a couple of bus loads of agrarian tourists. From their speech we both thought they were Canadian plains farmers. - Northern Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada