Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
It is strange, but OTOH if I had a kitty who had a mild case of CH (which I had never heard of before this thread), I might very well just think the kitty was clumsy (as am I!). Maybe the foster mom is embarrassed at not figuring it out? Who knows.

Hopefully if the siblings/mom DO have it, their new parents will figure it out, as you did.

In the meantime ... more pictures please! I am in the midst of grading (ugh) and kitty pictures are such a nice break!!
I had never heard of it either other than a couple of posts here about it. I have had so many kittens growing up, etc, and none did that.

I have actually seen it but I never knew what it was called. I have seen it in a video. What I saw was much more severe. Charlie has a mild case, but it is not clumsiness.

I am going to do a meet and greet with Charlies siblings on Sunday and see if any of them have any tremors or twitching, etc. Everytime I have seen them they have either been sleeping or bathing each other.

This foster mother had to notice unless she just had them caged all the time. The rescue told me she has teenagers in and out of her house and has been doing rescue fostering for 15+ years. She had to notice something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
You mentioned in an earlier post that you were concerned about Charlie falling & hurting himself, & that would certainly be a worry. Don't know what you could do about it, other than carpet/rugs as you mentioned. It'll probably be impossible to keep him on the floor all the time. Something else to think about are sharp corners/edges on walls, furniture, etc.. Some time ago I read a story about a cat that had a pretty bad case of CH, and was being fostered. The people that were taking care of him went through their entire house covering everything they thought might hurt him with bubble wrap (the foster parents ended up adopting him BTW). Not saying you need to go to that extreme or anything like that for Charlie. Just a 'heads-up in case you hadn't thought of it already.
Well you are right. That kitty is not staying on the floor. Despite his falling over left and right, he gets around and he does a lot of climbing. He does not do much jumping up, he normally climbs up, but he does jump down. He just doesn't normally land on his feet all the time.

I will do a walk around the house. I don't think I have any sharp edges, unless they are in the basement and I don't know about them.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:06 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
You know, it's kind of ironic that the most famous Cerebral Hypoplasia cat of all is also named Charley.

Surely this video has been posted here before?

This Is Charley - YouTube

Old 06-29-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
You know, it's kind of ironic that the most famous Cerebral Hypoplasia cat of all is also named Charley.

Surely this video has been posted here before?

This Is Charley - YouTube
I am not sure if it has. I have been seeing a cat named Roxie and a few others, but I don't know about this kitty but thanks for posting!

Charlies gait is not that bad. I would say his worse problem is balance and falling. He has been doing a lot of running and getting around and these days...he is just my little kitty.

I have learned that he likes early Saturday morning bed parties.....

Old 06-29-2013, 04:47 AM

We have a camera set up outside of the guest bedroom door set to detect motion and then take video. Kitty Katty seems to have been much more interested in little Charlie much earlier on than we thought. =)

This morning we are taking him to his vet visit, will let you all know how it goes!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:16 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
We have a camera set up outside of the guest bedroom door set to detect motion and then take video. Kitty Katty seems to have been much more interested in little Charlie much earlier on than we thought. =)

This morning we are taking him to his vet visit, will let you all know how it goes!
Looking forward to an update! So happy that Kitty Katty and Charlie are getting along so well. And pictures...we NEED more pictures!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:38 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post

Heh. Cats are sneaky that way. Don't want to give in too easily you know.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Heh. Cats are sneaky that way. Don't want to give in too easily you know.
They sure are!!! So has decided that little Charlies proper name should be Charles Xavier after that character on XMEN, I think it was.....because of his CH..... Oh goodness.

Off to the vet. He got his own new zebra carrier this morning!

Old 06-29-2013, 08:55 AM

"Get away Charlie!!! You smell like the VET!"

"Don't worry KK, I'm taking a bath right now!"

Vet visit went good. Charlie does not like being caged up for sure. I let him out of the carrier on the way to and from the vet and he just sat on my lap.

The vet checked him over and he was de-wormed and got his boosters. I let him know he came from a litter of kittens where the queen had panleukopenia and he got this look on his face and told me that sometimes when this happens, the kittens may have brain damage and be wobbly, etc.

I told him he did and told him what he did. Charlie was a perfect boy at the vet. He didn't try to get away, didn't cry during his shot, and he took the de-wormer.

The vet wanted to see him walk so we put him on the floor and he walked perfectly with not one fall. LOL. =)

We didn't have to pay for the exam, he gave us a no charge. Then we had a credit we didn't know about. KKs urinalysis that was sent out cost nearly 200.00 and they took that off and credited our account. We had no idea, but that was cool, we still have quite a credit.

Little Charlie just climbed up my leg and is laying next to me at the computer....

I liked the vet ok, he really specializes in ferrets, and I didn't get the reaction I thought I would as per the rescue.

When I told him about the mother he told me the kittens may have been affected. I did not bring it up first.

All in all, a good visit and he is due back in 4 weeks and I have to bring a poo sample.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:06 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,373,958 times
You know, I'd like to think there's a slim chance that Charlie's balance issues might improve a bit as he gets older. Cats (and dogs) seem to adapt and compensate for disabilities quite well some times. Brain damage is what it is, but if his is minimal, then maybe he'll learn to 'adjust' for it. Here's hoping anyway.
Glad his vet visit went well, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats