Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 04:06 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times

Advertisements

I think the toppers are a great idea. But I don’t understand why you you are giving her the whole can of food? Why can’t you give her, like, a quarter of a can of food? I either use covers or tinfoil for a partial can, then put it back in the fridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 05:01 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I think the toppers are a great idea. But I don’t understand why you you are giving her the whole can of food? Why can’t you give her, like, a quarter of a can of food? I either use covers or tinfoil for a partial can, then put it back in the fridge.
Because the rest will have to be thrown out anyway. If refrigerated then warmed up, she won't eat it especially if she's already had that flavor in the last day or two.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I have had enough pets to know, if they are really hungry, they will eat whatever is in their bowl. Especially if it's the same food they have been eating for years.
Well of course, LOL. That isn't the point. If she were younger, sure I might let her go for a day without food until she was ready to eat it, similar to what people would do to their kids when I was growing up.

I don't feel good about doing that to an elderly cat about 19 years old. She needs to eat to stay healthy and maintain her bodily functions.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:06 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Nothing wrong with catering to an old lady marino. Her clock is ticking, and your time with her is limited.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:09 AM

Quote:
She does the same thing with anything new, even tuna and boiled chicken. She will eat some of it and then not want the same thing again for several days.
That's why I buy several different flavors of cat food available.

I know she's just spoiled. I know it's my fault. I accept it. My post was just a small rant.

This morning she did good. I picked the right flavor and she ate about half the can.

Last edited by marino760; 08-07-2023 at 05:22 AM..

Old 08-07-2023, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Nothing wrong with catering to an old lady marino. Her clock is ticking, and your time with her is limited.
Agreed, one of these days she'll be gone and I'm going to wish I took better care of her if I don't do my best now.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:15 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Because the rest will have to be thrown out anyway. If refrigerated then warmed up, she won't eat it especially if she's already had that flavor in the last day or two.
So, she won’t eat refrigerated food? Really? Wow. I know that is pretty common with cats but, in combination with the other stuff, that’s a whole lotta picky.

I am assuming that you have ruled out medical issues….? I ask because my 19-year-old has CKD for which he is prescribed Cerenia to combat nausea. I wonder if her finickiness is not due to nausea that she feels when she eats….

Old 08-07-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
So, she won’t eat refrigerated food? Really? Wow. I know that is pretty common with cats but, in combination with the other stuff, that’s a whole lotta picky.

I am assuming that you have ruled out medical issues….? I ask because my 19-year-old has CKD for which he is prescribed Cerenia to combat nausea. I wonder if her finickiness is not due to nausea that she feels when she eats….
Thank you for asking, but she's quite healthy for her age. She's just super picky and has a sense of smell when it comes to food that could probably rival a dog's. I swear she can smell if a food has been refrigerated and reheated. I can't put any medication whatsoever in her food for that reason. She will smell anything different immediately, LOL. Yes, she's a whole lotta picky and become more so with age. She has no problem eating as long as it's what she's hoping ends up in her bowl.

Old 08-07-2023, 07:42 AM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times
God Love Her. Spoil her, love her, and cuddle her. Memories are not the same..........

Old 08-07-2023, 07:44 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
I can empathize with you, Marino. I have a Russian Blue who is the same way. In fact, I rarely see her eat. I know she eats Blue Buffalo grain-free kibble, but it's always at night. Occasionally if I'm awake in the middle of the night she'll indicate she wants wet food and I go through the same routine of trying to figure out which flavor of Fancy Feast she might want. I give her a taste on my finger first, and if she licks it up I offer her the bowl. Sometimes she'll lick my finger but refuse the bowl and I try another flavor. I'm always thrilled when she really chows down and eats because it's so rare. My two feral cats outside eat very well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats