Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 07:54 AM

2,978 posts, read 3,925,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
God Love Her. Spoil her, love her, and cuddle her. Memories are not the same..........
^^^ This. We had our Benny until age 20. For a couple of years, he was on the "all-you-can-eat" feeding plan, meaning that if he wanted any food, we'd give it to him. Did we waste a lot of food? Yes. Do I regret any of it? Nope. I'd do it over again in a heartbeat.

Please pet your kitty for me. Senior kitties are special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 08:07 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
A neighbor of my parents had a cat that started getting picky in her "older years". When they put her food down and she wouldn't eat it, it was put up and the same bowl of food was put in front of her every time she wanted to eat. If she didn't want that food, she didn't get anything else. By time for the night time feeding, she decided that food wasn't as bad after all.

Old 08-07-2023, 08:50 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,049,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
A neighbor of my parents had a cat that started getting picky in her "older years". When they put her food down and she wouldn't eat it, it was put up and the same bowl of food was put in front of her every time she wanted to eat. If she didn't want that food, she didn't get anything else. By time for the night time feeding, she decided that food wasn't as bad after all.
This exactly.

Old 08-07-2023, 10:30 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
[quote=Bungalove;65656333]I can empathize with you, Marino. I have a Russian Blue who is the same way. In fact, I rarely see her eat. I know she eats Blue Buffalo grain-free kibble, but it's always at night. Occasionally if I'm awake in the middle of the night she'll indicate she wants wet food and I go through the same routine of trying to figure out which flavor of Fancy Feast she might want. I give her a taste on my finger first, and if she licks it up I offer her the bowl. Sometimes she'll lick my finger but refuse the bowl and I try another flavor. I'm always thrilled when she really chows down and eats because it's so rare. My two feral cats outside eat very well! [/quote]

Yes, the equivalent of starving children in China. There's always a hungry cat somewhere to help you out.

Old 08-07-2023, 11:37 AM

7,597 posts, read 3,254,071 times
My boy cat will not eat his cat food if it has been refrigerated. He will not eat it if it was refrigerated and reheated. He will not eat it if the can was sitting on the can opened for a couple of hours. It has to be a fresh can of food each time. He will eat the same thing all the time and after trying 50 kinds of canned food this is the only thing I could get him to eat.

My girl cat switched herself off dry food onto wet food a couple of years ago. So, now we waste less food. I leave dry food out all the time and now there is pretty much wet food out all the time.

My girl cat decided not to eat for quite a while. Now, I am cooking organic chicken breast and freezing it in small portions. This is now what I have to do to get her to eat. She goes into a death spiral if no human food is on offer. She is stage 2 kidney disease. I told my vet that I can only get them to eat what they will eat. I think she'd rather die than live without her human food. My boy cat could give a rip about human food. Due to the kidney thing I now feed them "cat water" also.

They are all So Different Many of them are spoiled like this. Don't feel like you are alone.

Old 08-07-2023, 03:54 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Get her the nutri paste- It gets the calories and nourishment in to attend to her health/ wellness.

Then allow her to be purr-snickety.

Found that the overall goal was nourishment and if the paste saw us thru the phase of obstinance, so be it.

Old 08-07-2023, 04:16 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,435,653 times
Have you tried the obvious solution of buying her cat food pouches instead of cans? It's less food, for sure.

If that doesn't work, you could buy a food sealer. Open a can and separate it into small pouches (as much as you think she will eat at a a time) and seal the food separately, so she can't tell it was ever opened. Then just open each pouch individually. You will save money this way.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...itchen/1090768

Old 08-07-2023, 04:19 PM

7,597 posts, read 3,254,071 times
I tried the pouches of Instinct and it's really not the same as the can. I buy the mini cans. I hope OP is buying mini cans at least.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:25 PM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Get her the nutri paste- It gets the calories and nourishment in to attend to her health/ wellness.

Then allow her to be purr-snickety.

Found that the overall goal was nourishment and if the paste saw us thru the phase of obstinance, so be it.
Thank you for the suggestion. Nourishment isn't an issue. She eats enough throughout the day to stay healthy and she might even be a little chubby. My only issue was the amount of food I waste opening up usually 4 cans a day so she can eat what she feels like eating of different flavors

They are the small cans but cost a little more than the big cans of the other less expensive food, but with the small cans at least I don't waste as much. I don't have any feral cats outside to feed and putting the cat food outside will only attract raccoons.

Old 08-07-2023, 05:32 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
I was lucky with the cat I had where I used to live. He was satisfied with, I think, Friskie's dry cat food. At that time (little over 20 years ago) the box cost $1.29 and it came with a 25 cent coupon. Our grocery doubled coupons up to 50 cents so I got the box of food for 79 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats