Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 01:01 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times

Advertisements

I love my old cat. She's awesome at about 18-19 years old. She's super affectionate, still has pep and lives a happy carefree life totally indoors.

She's so picky about wanting to eat what she feels like when she feels like it. I know it's my fault. It's only me and her in the house. I'm spending almost as much on her food as I do my own and i'm not exaggerating. I have to buy all the flavors because I can't repeat a flavor for several days or she doesn't want it.
I open a can for her early in the morning. If I'm not out of bed, she'll remind me that she's being neglected lol. She eats it gradually and leaves about 3/4 to half the can in the bowl. A few hours later, I need to open a new can for her because she won't touch what was left. This repeats about 3-4 times a day.

The worst part is that I have to read her mind and know what flavor she wants. Sometimes its beef, or chicken or fish. Lately she's been big on the fish flavors. This morning, I made the horrible mistake of giving her beef flavor. She wouldn't touch it. Any other day she would have loved to have the beef.

About 2 hours later, she still wouldn't touch it. She sat there by her bowl and let out little pitiful meows. I threw away the entire can and gave her fish flavor which she ate, not a problem.

On a daily basis I probably throw away at least half of what I feed her. I'm going through about 25 to 30 cans a week for one elderly cat.

It is what it is. I just had to rant about it a little bit. When she's gone, at least I won't feel bad that I didn't try to accommodate her expensive eating habits. Like I said, she's awesome and very loved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 03:53 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I love my old cat. She's awesome at about 18-19 years old. She's super affectionate, still has pep and lives a happy carefree life totally indoors.

She's so picky about wanting to eat what she feels like when she feels like it. I know it's my fault. It's only me and her in the house. I'm spending almost as much on her food as I do my own and i'm not exaggerating. I have to buy all the flavors because I can't repeat a flavor for several days or she doesn't want it.
I open a can for her early in the morning. If I'm not out of bed, she'll remind me that she's being neglected lol. She eats it gradually and leaves about 3/4 to half the can in the bowl. A few hours later, I need to open a new can for her because she won't touch what was left. This repeats about 3-4 times a day.

The worst part is that I have to read her mind and know what flavor she wants. Sometimes its beef, or chicken or fish. Lately she's been big on the fish flavors. This morning, I made the horrible mistake of giving her beef flavor. She wouldn't touch it. Any other day she would have loved to have the beef.

About 2 hours later, she still wouldn't touch it. She sat there by her bowl and let out little pitiful meows. I threw away the entire can and gave her fish flavor which she ate, not a problem.

On a daily basis I probably throw away at least half of what I feed her. I'm going through about 25 to 30 cans a week for one elderly cat.

It is what it is. I just had to rant about it a little bit. When she's gone, at least I won't feel bad that I didn't try to accommodate her expensive eating habits. Like I said, she's awesome and very loved.
I think that's the most important thing. It actually made me happy to read your post and hear about how much you love her and want her to have a happy life. It would be easier if we could speak the same language and she could maybe give you an explanation for her actions. lol

Old 08-06-2023, 03:55 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Have you tried the treat toppers they make? In my old cat’s last couple of years that’s all he would eat except for a bit of kibble. I never could break him of the kibble habit. I would try fancy feast and any number of the tiny expensive cans, and he usually would just lick off the gravy and leave the rest.
Eventually I would just give him the gravy topper stuff and let him eat just that.

Old 08-06-2023, 06:04 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
I would sometimes give our old cat real tuna as a treat, but I'm afraid OP's cat might end up insisting on that only.

Old 08-06-2023, 06:15 PM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

Ah, that's great that you love her so much and treat her so well.
Cats can be very finicky, especially as they get older. My cats really love the poultry, but the fish is usually their favorite.
My cat Pippa sounds a little like your little lady. She meows to be fed a lot!

Sometimes she (and also the other cats) can be finicky and just refuse to eat.
(When mine won't eat there's I put the can outside for the feral cats (there are only a few ferals, Save our Strays has a feral colony in the neighborhood that they watch over.)But that wouldn't work if you don't have a feral colony there, in your neighborhood.
I am sure that she can tell how much you love her, by the way you care for her.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:01 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Only put a little bit in the bowl. Put the rest in the refrigerator, covered of course. Then when she's hungry again, microwave the remaining food to slightly warm and give her some more. That's what I do to keep from wasting a lot of food.

Old 08-06-2023, 07:09 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
That's only par for the course insofar as what we're willing to do for those we love, especially as they age. As long as you can afford it, it's fine. Better that she eats than not, right?

Old 08-06-2023, 08:58 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Only put a little bit in the bowl. Put the rest in the refrigerator, covered of course. Then when she's hungry again, microwave the remaining food to slightly warm and give her some more. That's what I do to keep from wasting a lot of food.
That's what we do. Put the can in a ziploc bag for the next day. Our cat gets dry food for breakfast and wet food for dinner.

Old 08-06-2023, 09:44 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
Not only are my cats like the OP's (fussy and make me try several cans sometimes) they also turn their nose up to leftovers

Old 08-07-2023, 02:54 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
I have had enough pets to know, if they are really hungry, they will eat whatever is in their bowl. Especially if it's the same food they have been eating for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats