Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 05:45 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I was lucky with the cat I had where I used to live. He was satisfied with, I think, Friskie's dry cat food. At that time (little over 20 years ago) the box cost $1.29 and it came with a 25 cent coupon. Our grocery doubled coupons up to 50 cents so I got the box of food for 79 cents.
Under full disclosure, my cat was feral for many years. I mean really feral, never someones pet and avoided all people. She lived off the land. I rescued her about 7 years ago. Back in those days, she would have eaten anything I gave her without question.

She knows all about eating anything she can find when necessary. But now she's a house cat, a retired senior and expects better things in life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 05:58 PM

6,850 posts, read 4,847,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I have had enough pets to know, if they are really hungry, they will eat whatever is in their bowl. Especially if it's the same food they have been eating for years.
Yes. I find they are fussier in the summer, too. Also, most cats, mine included, weigh more than they need to. The should be svelte.

Old 08-08-2023, 05:53 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Have you tried the obvious solution of buying her cat food pouches instead of cans? It's less food, for sure.

If that doesn't work, you could buy a food sealer. Open a can and separate it into small pouches (as much as you think she will eat at a a time) and seal the food separately, so she can't tell it was ever opened. Then just open each pouch individually. You will save money this way.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-...itchen/1090768

There is a sealer on an infomercial on one of the channels. Not sure if it was the food network. It was on between 5am and 7am every day when I watched that channel. It looked pretty cool, it will double seal in one spot so you can seal without wasting bags, the pouches are close together, the double seal was about an inch wide. I googled, it is a duonutra by a chef and some other woman. I suggest people also google reviews, then complaints as some have issues with it. I have a kitchenaid that stinks to use. I was ready to buy a duo after seeing the commercial.

I wonder if her cat would eat Freshpet which is real food. The honest company also makes a natural cat food from what I read. Would be nice if the OP knew someone that uses them to try it before ordering it.

I'm surprised the cat can't "tell her" which food it wants such as put a can on the ground, say it's name. She responds favorably with a meow or something or ignores the question if it's not what she wants. I have a gold fish who tells me it's hungry when I ask. She was "dance" that looks like when a dog wags it's tail end. She also "tells me" when her water needs changed by staying vertical like she's trying to get air. She did it yesterday but her water didn't look bad so I didn't change it. By night I was changing it because it needed it. We had two other gold fish that ended up dying who used to tap on the glass when they were hungry. I'm not sure where the first to do it learned it from. The tank mate then also did it. The first one died because she ran into the glass while I had my headset on. They were on my desk to the left of my head. I didn't hear the tapping until it was a big bang. That's how we got this other fish, for the big gold fish who then ended up dying. I've debated buying a mate for the one left, I'm also debating finding a person with a filtered tank. I really don't want to raise fish any more.

If fish can tell me they want to eat or change their water, why can't a cat be taught to respond about the food? I'd think if you put the can on the ground with a smallish taste of it so she learns the flavor name by taste and the look of the can. Eventually she would just have to look at the can to say "yes" so food isn't wasted.

Here is that sealer. You can forward it to see the bags that resemble the flavor ice, ice pops.

duonutro food sealer reviews and complaints

Keep Your Food Fresh up to 5x Longer* with this Vacuum Sealer | PowerXL Duo Nutrisealer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6CI...hannel=PowerXL

YouTube honest review - POWERXL DUO NUTRISEALER USER REVIEW first try New as seen on TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmOU...nel=boompowzap

Old 08-08-2023, 05:58 AM

351 posts, read 285,237 times
I have a very fussy elderly cat that loves ad Hill's urgent care dog and cat food that is formulated to help pets in recovery, when they have a loss of appetite. My vet suggested it and to my surprise my cat loves it, it's kept him going for years. It is by prescription only, but your vet can have you purchase one can to see if your cat will like it before buying more.

Old 08-08-2023, 06:43 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Well of course, LOL. That isn't the point. If she were younger, sure I might let her go for a day without food until she was ready to eat it, similar to what people would do to their kids when I was growing up.

I don't feel good about doing that to an elderly cat about 19 years old. She needs to eat to stay healthy and maintain her bodily functions.
My vet told me cats can get pancreatitis if they go without food for too long. How about those small cans that come two in a container? I think it's a little over 1 oz. of food.

Old 08-08-2023, 08:45 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
I have a very fussy elderly cat that loves ad Hill's urgent care dog and cat food that is formulated to help pets in recovery, when they have a loss of appetite. My vet suggested it and to my surprise my cat loves it, it's kept him going for years. It is by prescription only, but your vet can have you purchase one can to see if your cat will like it before buying more.
I believe you're referring to Hills A/D. It's a very palatable food for sick kitties. However, I believe it's not nutrtionally complete or meant for longterm feeding, so you don't want to feed this exclusively.

Old 08-08-2023, 10:52 AM

14,766 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Have you tried any of the perfect portions by sheba? They are really small, but enough for a cat in one setting.
Link
Iams makes some also
Iams link

Old 08-08-2023, 10:57 AM

^I also keep treats around for a snack, for times when they might meow for food, but you know they have already ate enough. You can order them online from places like Amazon, Chewy or Walmart.

Old 08-08-2023, 01:07 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
There is a sealer on an infomercial on one of the channels. Not sure if it was the food network. It was on between 5am and 7am every day when I watched that channel. It looked pretty cool, it will double seal in one spot so you can seal without wasting bags, the pouches are close together, the double seal was about an inch wide. I googled, it is a duonutra by a chef and some other woman. I suggest people also google reviews, then complaints as some have issues with it. I have a kitchenaid that stinks to use. I was ready to buy a duo after seeing the commercial.

I wonder if her cat would eat Freshpet which is real food. The honest company also makes a natural cat food from what I read. Would be nice if the OP knew someone that uses them to try it before ordering it.

I'm surprised the cat can't "tell her" which food it wants such as put a can on the ground, say it's name. She responds favorably with a meow or something or ignores the question if it's not what she wants. I have a gold fish who tells me it's hungry when I ask. She was "dance" that looks like when a dog wags it's tail end. She also "tells me" when her water needs changed by staying vertical like she's trying to get air. She did it yesterday but her water didn't look bad so I didn't change it. By night I was changing it because it needed it. We had two other gold fish that ended up dying who used to tap on the glass when they were hungry. I'm not sure where the first to do it learned it from. The tank mate then also did it. The first one died because she ran into the glass while I had my headset on. They were on my desk to the left of my head. I didn't hear the tapping until it was a big bang. That's how we got this other fish, for the big gold fish who then ended up dying. I've debated buying a mate for the one left, I'm also debating finding a person with a filtered tank. I really don't want to raise fish any more.

If fish can tell me they want to eat or change their water, why can't a cat be taught to respond about the food? I'd think if you put the can on the ground with a smallish taste of it so she learns the flavor name by taste and the look of the can. Eventually she would just have to look at the can to say "yes" so food isn't wasted.

Here is that sealer. You can forward it to see the bags that resemble the flavor ice, ice pops.

duonutro food sealer reviews and complaints

Keep Your Food Fresh up to 5x Longer* with this Vacuum Sealer | PowerXL Duo Nutrisealer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6CI...hannel=PowerXL

YouTube honest review - POWERXL DUO NUTRISEALER USER REVIEW first try New as seen on TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmOU...nel=boompowzap

Great post. I hope the OP takes some of these posters advice. They are all very good.

Old 08-08-2023, 01:10 PM

^You could also try moving the can or food around....I have one cat that doesn't want to eat it's food on the floor!
It wants to eat it on a table or raised surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats