Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 05:58 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
^Those sealers have peaked my interest now!

That duo sealer really looks great. I'm still so tempted to buy one but will wait for now. I'm not sure how long it's been out. Some people can't get it to work like the commercial, apparently the 2nd video I posted, will give the fix.

I really loved the "ice pop sealing" so that you're not wasting bags. The ability to seal close to the last bag really sold me, plus the ability to seal multiple bags next to each other because it is a slim line sealer unlike mine which you can't seal like that due to the rear of the machine being "closed". I think those slim sealers look like one of the best inventions since my sealer was bought about 10 years ago.

I also love the small size compared to my huge sealer which is a pain to store. It would be one thing if it worked all of the time but it doesn't. I also hate the waste of bags where you have to leave about two or three inches of bag in order to seal it.

Since posting about the cat "learning" what the cat food can looks like along with a taste of food so she learns by smell and taste too, I bet the cat could be taught. Cat's are pretty smart animals. I'm pretty sure my mothers two cats used to do it. They too were spoiled cats. One, a black cat named Twinkie because that's how I caught him, using Twinkies which he seemed to love, was a smart cat, so was the long haired cat Muffin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 04:45 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I have had enough pets to know, if they are really hungry, they will eat whatever is in their bowl. Especially if it's the same food they have been eating for years.

Absolutely false when it comes to cats. A cat can become ill very quickly without eating, after 24 hours, the organs will begin to shut down. And once they start feeling ill they are not going to eat something they already rejected, or anything else at all, without veterinary intervention

I would do the same as the OP and have done.

Last edited by catsmom21; 08-10-2023 at 05:45 AM..

Old 08-10-2023, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Because the rest will have to be thrown out anyway. If refrigerated then warmed up, she won't eat it especially if she's already had that flavor in the last day or two.

I f you offer smaller portions she may be more inclined to try a nibble. A large amount of food may be overwhelming. Just put a blob down. If she eats it, put another blob down. Same way you feed a kitten.

Old 08-10-2023, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Nothing wrong with catering to an old lady marino. Her clock is ticking, and your time with her is limited.

Old 08-10-2023, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
She does the same thing with anything new, even tuna and boiled chicken. She will eat some of it and then not want the same thing again for several days.
That's why I buy several different flavors of cat food available.

I know she's just spoiled. I know it's my fault. I accept it. My post was just a small rant.

This morning she did good. I picked the right flavor and she ate about half the can.

No, she is NOT "spoiled". She's a cat. An elderly cat who deserves every comfort and bit of catering you can offer. You're doing everything right.

Old 08-10-2023, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My vet told me cats can get pancreatitis if they go without food for too long. How about those small cans that come two in a container? I think it's a little over 1 oz. of food.

The liver goes first, it's called feline hepatic lipidosis, fatty liver disease. Overweight cats are especially at risk. Kidneys, pancreas, and the rest will follow.

Old 08-10-2023, 06:33 AM

17,346 posts, read 11,289,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
No, she is NOT "spoiled". She's a cat. An elderly cat who deserves every comfort and bit of catering you can offer. You're doing everything right.
Thank you for the words of encouragement. As I already stated, she's doing very well for her age, is not malnourished and eats enough to stay at her current weight which is a good weight for her. She has an appetite and eats about 4 times a day as long as the food in her bowl is the flavor she wants to have, and the food is not the same flavor she ate a few hours ago or even yesterday. I went to the store yesterday and bought another 30 cans of about 7-8 flavors. She does get happy and excited when she hears a new can being open even when she has plenty of food left in her bowl from her last feeding.

I'm not going to change anything. If it's not broke, don't fix it. I just hated throwing away all the food she doesn't eat and the expense, but I can afford it. It's all good. Her health comes first.

Last edited by marino760; 08-10-2023 at 06:44 AM..

Old 08-22-2023, 02:59 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
I spent more money on Puck's food in his last year or two of life than my own. He didn't like refrigerated food and the second he would eat an entire can of one kind of food, I'd stock up and then he'd never touch it again. It got particularly bad when he got to the point with his IBD that he could only eat the Rx food or else he'd have explosive diarrhea. He went off of the prescription food completely in his last 6 months, and I suspect that contributed to his loss at 16. Any other foods just made him so miserable and he couldn't connect the food with what happened in the litter box.

Before we got to that point, a trick I had was mixing in hot hot hot water with his refrigerated food. I always put a silicon topper on the can and then put it in a plastic bag to try to keep the fridge smells at bay, too. The hot water turned the food the right temp and it made his food more "gravy" like, which he enjoyed. Not to mention the extra water was good for his kidneys. Even as the rest of his body failed thanks to IBD and (likely) lymphoma, his kidneys were always perfect!

Old 08-22-2023, 08:36 PM

7,602 posts, read 3,260,039 times
Thank you for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats