Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 06:45 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,334 times

Advertisements

Hello! I was away from the computer on a little road trip today...just wanted to let you all know Sidney is wonderful! Playing with the other two cats, chasing his tail (which always cracks me up!), playing with cat toys and eating like a champ. When not sleeping, eating and playing, he is checking every square inch of the house out...I feel like I am baby proofing my house as I follow him. I will try to get a picture and upload it tomorrow...he is actually getting a little belly on him, its amazing what a few days will do and what we have been through together in just one short week. I found a young adult cat who looks a little like Sidney and I am wondering if it is momma. I cant get close enough to know if it is a boy or girl, but gave "it" some kitty food and water a short while ago. Makes me wonder if someone just dumped them...I dont know but my mind is racing...I dont think any of us like to see any furry friend homeless and hungry. Oh goodness...I need about 5 acres and a farm....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:52 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Hello! I was away from the computer on a little road trip today...just wanted to let you all know Sidney is wonderful! Playing with the other two cats, chasing his tail (which always cracks me up!), playing with cat toys and eating like a champ. When not sleeping, eating and playing, he is checking every square inch of the house out...I feel like I am baby proofing my house as I follow him. I will try to get a picture and upload it tomorrow...he is actually getting a little belly on him, its amazing what a few days will do and what we have been through together in just one short week. I found a young adult cat who looks a little like Sidney and I am wondering if it is momma. I cant get close enough to know if it is a boy or girl, but gave "it" some kitty food and water a short while ago. Makes me wonder if someone just dumped them...I dont know but my mind is racing...I dont think any of us like to see any furry friend homeless and hungry. Oh goodness...I need about 5 acres and a farm....
You are a saint! God Bless You, and I mean that with all my heart.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:01 AM

Thank you Big Daryl....

Old 07-11-2009, 07:57 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
How is Sidney doing today?

The entire week I've been checking and cheering his progress.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
How is Sidney doing today?

The entire week I've been checking and cheering his progress.
Sidney doing great...I posted an update last night after getting home. He is playing well with the other kitties, eating very well and showing us that he is going to be a hand full! He is a sweetie, loves to be cuddled & purr's like a champ--he does however get very nervous when someone walks into the room but we are working on that. If he was a feral kitten, I am MORE than impressed with his acceptance to being inside and around people...but he does get nervous at times. Just this morning he was climbing up my end table and jumping on the cat (snarf) below him. We were cracking up. Munchkin still likes to give him baths and Sidney seems to enjoy it. I'm very relieved that they are all getting along so well together...I guess everyone likes Sidney..

As for the other kitty I posted about, fed HIM again this morning. Definately a young male, does not appear to be neutered. He did let me pet him and doesnt appear to be fearful. Chatted away at me while I was outside watering the plants and having a yard sale. I'm going to ask a few people if he belongs to them and find out if he has been neutered since this house is almost full and the fear of finding more kittens is overwhelming.

Here is a picture from Sidney today...

Old 07-11-2009, 11:39 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
My dad and your husband sound alot alike as he was the one always saying they could not rescue every animal yet he always gave in and loved whatever animal it was.
Oh yeah, it's a guy thing. When a friend dropped by on December 4, 1992, only to open a big box and turn loose a pair of three-month-old kittens - wearing red bows around their necks - my reaction was to retreat to the couch and say, "I can't keep these damn cats. What were you thinking???" So, what did the cats do? They promptly ran over to the sofa, jumped up, and started purring away as they nuzzled me and each other. "Oh, all right, they can stay."
16.5 years later, the sister of the boy/girl pair is still here and not going anywhere soon.
My pair o' kitties, along with their siblings, had been left in a sealed (but ventilated) crate in an apartment-house lobby. Abandonment's the fate of far too many kittens & puppies whose owners didn't spay the mother. Then there are the mothers themselves, ditched when they start to "show" or after giving birth because "we can't afford a vet." No need to get started down that road; my point in bringing this up is that if Sidney's mom was dropped off along with him that'd be unusual. Most of the time it's the parent or the offspring, but not both, who find themselves homeless and on unfamiliar ground. Once kittens are weaned they don't want or need to be around their mother any more. My family, when I was in elementary school, thought one of our cat's litter would be happy to stay with us. Not so. He and his mom sometimes "had words with" or swatted each other, but mainly kept their distance for the entire rest of her life.
All of which is to say, if Hartwell Sid's mother - and maybe brothers and sisters - are in the neighborhood, by all means rescue them but locate homes for them elsewhere. Leave family reunions to the humans, not that those are always the best thing either.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 AM

Talk about a trouble maker....Sidney is a little ball of terror lol! He loves to play with the older cats and has us laughing at all he does. Munchkin is gentle with him, Snarf on the other hand just wants him to go away and play with someone else's tail for awhile.
I just want to say one final THANK YOU to all you who post on here. Watching Sidney who was so sick turn into a kitten full of energy makes us very happy. I just want to thank you to all of you!!

Old 07-13-2009, 03:51 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartwell Girl View Post
Talk about a trouble maker....Sidney is a little ball of terror lol! He loves to play with the older cats and has us laughing at all he does. Munchkin is gentle with him, Snarf on the other hand just wants him to go away and play with someone else's tail for awhile.
I just want to say one final THANK YOU to all you who post on here. Watching Sidney who was so sick turn into a kitten full of energy makes us very happy. I just want to thank you to all of you!!

Final thank you? Does that mean no more Sidney updates We've become Sidney fans, please, keep the updates coming, its like a favorite soap opera!

We want more Sidney!

Old 07-13-2009, 05:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
yeah, what she said!

Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 PM

659 posts, read 898,691 times
I usually avoid the cat forum because if I start reading a topic I have to read the whole thing and they tend to be long. And if they have a sad ending my heart breaks.

This one caught my attention and of course I read the whole thing. Because it was a really happy story, and because it reminds me of my kitties. I have a Sidney too. I adopted him in 2001. He's a big black and white cow cat, about 15 now and starting to slow down, but still in good health. I adopted his little brother Marley at 12 weeks old early in 2008, and by 6 months he was a full grown cat that looks very much like your Sidney, but with shorter hair. Neither had the health scares that your Sidney had but he just reminded me of each of mine. Marley is messing with my keyboard right now, so forgive any typos. The 2 have bonded so well sometimes I don't think they need me at all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats