Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:01 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times

Advertisements

A couple of weeks ago, Fluffy went in for a dental cleaning.
It turned out she had lesions on her molars and needed them extracted.
The vet said that she would probably feel a lot better now.

That turned out to be an understatement.
After about a week‘s recovery, she turned into a new cat.
She runs, wrestles, and plays with the other cats like she had suddenly become six or seven years younger.

Before the extractions she was grumpy a lot of the time and liked to be by herself.
We thought it was because she was getting up in years, but it might have been because her teeth were bothering her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:44 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
Default Any who's had a toothache

Anyone who's had a toothache can understand why your cat acted the way she did. Endless pain wears any creature down, not just us humans.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:18 PM

320 posts, read 1,069,932 times
I think a $300 cleaning is extremely excessive. I usually pay around $120 or so when all is said and done (procedure + anesthesia, antibiotics, etc). My cats usually go about two years between cleanings.

The first cat I owned had many problems with her teeth and ended up with about half of her teeth extracted over her lifetime....I don't even think I paid $300 for an extraction. The same vet has tended to 4 cats since then and done many cleanings but no extractions, so I know she wasn't just dipping into my pockets unnecessarily then.

So, in my opinion, cleanings are worthwhile (you can see when their gums get red and inflamed) but whereever you are going is just ridiculously overpriced. Get on your local area forum and ask for some references to a more reasonable yet still caring vet.

Good luck!

Old 03-15-2010, 11:18 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,069 times
Here is what Fluffy’s recent dental treatment cost.
Because she is thirteen years old, she got a blood test before the treatment.

Pre-Treatment Blood Panel 139.00

Cleaning and Polishing 149.00
Extractions 95.00
Fluids 28.00
Metoclopramide Injection 32.03
Metacam Injection 29.52
Cefovecin Injection 50.58
Metacam Syringes (3) 37.32

Discount 27.80
Tax 3.13

Total 535.78

Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,355 times
I had my cat, Otis's teeth cleaned about a year ago. The dr. actually showed me the condition of the teeth (lots of tartar and bad smell). They thought he would need some teeth pulled while under the anesthesia to clean the teeth but would not be sure until they took the xrays. I think they take the xrays while the cat is under sedation. It turns out that he did not need any teeth removed (thank goodness). If I remember correctly, the xrays and cleaning was $400 and if any other teeth would have to be removed it would be like $200 per tooth or something. After a year, his breathe still smells good and his teeth are doing well too. Although, I do try to brush them once in a while. It's hard with cats to brush their teeth but Otis lets me. We use poultry flavored toothpaste which I purchased from my vet.

I was really happy he didn't need any teeth pulled b/c it would have cost so much more $$. BUT after the anesthesia, etc...he developed a bad cold and that cost us a lot of $$. The main thing is he's doing well today. I would definitely get the teeth cleaned if your vet is recommending it. They say it supposed to be healthier for them so things don't go into their bloodstream and make them sick or even fatal. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:35 PM

9,411 posts, read 11,156,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
We do have one cat that used to like to get up on bathroom sinks and chew on toothbrushes which is kind of funny...... as long as the toothbrush isn't yours.
Hahahahaha! Too funny.

Me can haves toofbrushes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Ha! You can give the Hershey bars to me instead!

Just FYI, unless the teeth are so bad that they're falling out, there is nothing easy about tooth extractions. Frankly, they suck. You'd have to be crazy to offer to a client unless the patient really needed it.
You will have to pry those Hershey bars out of my cold, dead fingers, pal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
I had my cat, Otis's teeth cleaned about a year ago. The dr. actually showed me the condition of the teeth (lots of tartar and bad smell). They thought he would need some teeth pulled while under the anesthesia to clean the teeth but would not be sure until they took the xrays. I think they take the xrays while the cat is under sedation. It turns out that he did not need any teeth removed (thank goodness). If I remember correctly, the xrays and cleaning was $400 and if any other teeth would have to be removed it would be like $200 per tooth or something. After a year, his breathe still smells good and his teeth are doing well too. Although, I do try to brush them once in a while. It's hard with cats to brush their teeth but Otis lets me. We use poultry flavored toothpaste which I purchased from my vet.

I was really happy he didn't need any teeth pulled b/c it would have cost so much more $$. BUT after the anesthesia, etc...he developed a bad cold and that cost us a lot of $$. The main thing is he's doing well today. I would definitely get the teeth cleaned if your vet is recommending it. They say it supposed to be healthier for them so things don't go into their bloodstream and make them sick or even fatal. Good luck with whatever you decide.
So where can I get some of that Hershey bar flavored toothpaste...for me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats