Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 04:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I thought it was common knowledge that Katharine Hepburn had a relationship with Greta Garbo at some point, so she was at least bi.

There are rumors that Tom Cruise and John Travolta are gay (separately, not together,) and the Church of Scientology helps them cover it up.
Wrong. Kate and Greta formed a lifelong friendship after they met at Greta's request late in their Hollywood career lives but it wasn't a sexual relationship. Greta was increasingly reclusive and selective about who she associated with until the day she died and she had very few people in her life that were true friends and not users and social climbers. The only man that she was known to have had an ongoing romantic relationship with was her frequent co-star John Gilbert, with whom she lived for a couple of years in the mid 20's. Poor Greta, she was something of an outcast in snobby, stuck up Hollywood because of her Swedish openness and lack of taboos and she hated Hollywood and California in general and pined for her homeland. But she never went back home, she developed what is now known as Greta Garbo syndrome and became the most afflicted kind of shut in, in New York City in a penthouse suite overlooking Central Park.

From what I can tell the rumours about Cruise and Travolta have been going around for at least 40 years, but I think they're just rumours based in spiteful jealousy and a desire for public attention from the people who have made money from making such allegations in interviews.

How can anyone trust the words of profiteering social climbing attention getters like that who get paid to tell lies?

Both men have been married, Cruise 3 times and has 3 children and Travolta had one marriage to the same woman (recently deceased) that he loved deeply for 33 years until she died, and they had two children.

I think at times you just have to take rumours with a pinch of salt and do some research and fact-finding of your own about the truth without accepting salacious rumours at face value. Those rumours exist only for the purpose of making money out of salacious people who want to believe the worst of other people in order to feel better about their faults.

It's so easy to do in these days of internet accessibility to find out the facts for yourself. If you really want to know the truth, and not want to believe the lies.

Hollywood life is not easy on actors and actresses, it's downright vicious, sadistic, vindictive.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 11:59 PM

99,524 posts, read 4,489,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

As a matter of fact the only gay actor that I can think of for whom a Hollywood straight image was important was Rock Hudson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I'm sure there were many others. Raymond Burr comes to mind.

Also Tab Hunter, Van Johnson, Roddy McDowall, Dirk Bogarde, Robert Reed, just to name a few more.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:22 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,525,991 times
I knew a gay guy that got married to a female so he could stay in the country legally. Shockingly, the got divorced shortly thereafter.

Old 11-09-2023, 01:46 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times
I know people in Lavender marriages too.
If they aren't into sex, or maybe bi-, but otherwise enjoy each other company and stay together for other reasons (financial, insurance, common interests, hobbies, life goals, jobs, political, social pressure etc. ) then why not get married? The way the term is used in the present scenario, it has to be a mutual agreement and informed decision.
If they are fully informed about their personal preference before marriage, then I don't see any problem with that. Marriages of convenience work too.

However, I think that lavender marriages between celebrities became less common.

Old 11-09-2023, 02:24 AM

562 posts, read 677,232 times
110%certain there are thousands out there but personally, no. I have known and heard of quite a few where one was gay and the other one het. You can only get lighter shades of lavender when mixing white and lavender

Old 11-09-2023, 04:03 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Nonsense.

I've heard about those kinds of relationships but none of that kind of thing can be true about Katharine Hepburn. She was only married once in her life, in 1928, and that was to Philadelphia broker Ludlow Ogden Smith. Ludlow and Katharine divorced in 1934 so that he could marry another woman he was in love with, named Elizabeth Albers. Ludlow and Elizabeth had two children together, son Lewis and a daughter Katharine (named Katharine in honour of Smith's still very good friend and ex-wife Katharine Hepburn).

Katharine Hepburn had a brief affair with one of her agents, and another brief relationship in 1936 for 18 months with billionaire Howard Hughes who asked her to marry him but she refused. Katherine went into an open 26 years long deeply loving and intimate relationship with Spencer Tracy who she met and became involved with in 1941. They would have married but Tracy's long estranged wife, being a Catholic, would not grant him a divorce. Katharine and Spencer were in love and remained an openly involved couple until Spencer died in 1967. Katharine never became romantically involved with or married to any other persons after Spencer died.

So no Lavender marriages there. Which leads me to be suspicious of whatever source you got your information from about Katharine. She was a tomboy as a child and was a very strong proponent of suffragism and women's rights so that might have caused some people to choose to believe that she was a lesbian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Common gossip, maybe?

I think the whole "Katharine Hepburn was gay!" narrative stems from a "biography" written by one James Robert Parrish that seemed to contain a signficant amount of speculation, but not much substance.

I imagine Ms. Hepburn's preference for wearing pants and speaking her mind caused a lot of tongues to wag during her time in the spotlight; keep in mind that even now, those who deviate from societal norms are often designated as gay or whatever by the peanut galley.

As to whether I know anyone in a "lavender marriage," I haven't the slightest, and neither do I care. Domestic partnerships are domestic partnerships AFAIC, and whatever they do with themselves or with others behind closed doors isn't something that sparks my interest.

I've never been interested, either, in other people's love lives or domestic arrangements, and I'm not much of a movie buff or celebrity chaser, but of course even I know about the big Hepburn and Tracy love affair.

Old 11-09-2023, 04:12 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,026,930 times
Quote:
Nonsense.

I've heard about those kinds of relationships but none of that kind of thing can be true about Katharine Hepburn. She was only married once in her life, in 1928, and that was to Philadelphia broker Ludlow Ogden Smith. Ludlow and Katharine divorced in 1934 so that he could marry another woman he was in love with, named Elizabeth Albers. Ludlow and Elizabeth had two children together, son Lewis and a daughter Katharine (named Katharine in honour of Smith's still very good friend and ex-wife Katharine Hepburn).

Katharine Hepburn had a brief affair with one of her agents, and another brief relationship in 1936 for 18 months with billionaire Howard Hughes who asked her to marry him but she refused. Katherine went into an open 26 years long deeply loving and intimate relationship with Spencer Tracy who she met and became involved with in 1941. They would have married but Tracy's long estranged wife, being a Catholic, would not grant him a divorce. Katharine and Spencer were in love and remained an openly involved couple until Spencer died in 1967. Katharine never became romantically involved with or married to any other persons after Spencer died.

So no Lavender marriages there. Which leads me to be suspicious of whatever source you got your information from about Katharine. She was a tomboy as a child and was a very strong proponent of suffragism and women's rights so that might have caused some people to choose to believe that she was a lesbian.

Someone needs to read more Darwin Porter books, I just devoured 8 of them. All verified information/truths.

Howard Hughes, more homosexual than heterosexual, wanted to marry Lesbian Kate Hepburn as a Lavender Marriage. It would dispel all rumors either one of them were Gay. Then Kate could continue her Lesbian affairs with Laura Harding, Claudette Colbert or Joan Crawford, a true bisexual.

Spencer Tracy was tormented all his life with his homosexual exploits, and him and Kate would have created the perfect Lavender marriage. She could continue on with her Lesbian exploits and he could continue on with his pursuing young men.

Laurence Olivier was more homosexual than bisexual, and married to Vivien Leigh who knew all out his exploits with men and accepted it, but she was heterosexual to the core.

Steve McQueen and Paul Newman and Marlon Brando were the ultimate Bisexuals. All 3 of them were capable of having enjoyable sex with either sex.

Merv Griffin was 100% Gay but to dispel the rumors, he resorted to "arm candy" in public, notably Eva Gabor, and for years the public was wondering when they were going to get married. Never! It would have been one concealing Lavender marriage.

Michael Jackson also resorted to "arm candy" at times with Liz Taylor and married Lisa Presley to dispel the rumors.

Last edited by tijlover; 11-09-2023 at 04:28 AM..

Old 11-09-2023, 08:20 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,094,372 times
I think one can have "a love of their life" or simply "a love", and the relationship not be sexual. Everyone thinks any close relationship is "sexual", but for a very long time, just being very close friends was a thing. Not sure if that is true anymore, but I suspect it may well be.

Who really cares who is gay, lesbian, bi in a relationship or not. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors, and the majority don't care, unless it involves non-consenting adults or children.

Old 11-09-2023, 08:54 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Who really cares who is gay, lesbian, bi in a relationship or not. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors, and the majority don't care, unless it involves non-consenting adults or children.
Especially now. I don't know that a famous (or non famous) person necessarily requires a beard to get through in society.

That said, I do know a distant acquaintance who is from a wealthy family (the kind that has buildings named after them locally) As long as his father is alive, he is a "lifelong bachelor" even though most people who know him know the truth.

Old 11-09-2023, 02:30 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Someone needs to read more Darwin Porter books, I just devoured 8 of them. All verified information/truths.

Howard Hughes, more homosexual than heterosexual, wanted to marry Lesbian Kate Hepburn as a Lavender Marriage. It would dispel all rumors either one of them were Gay. Then Kate could continue her Lesbian affairs with Laura Harding, Claudette Colbert or Joan Crawford, a true bisexual.

Spencer Tracy was tormented all his life with his homosexual exploits, and him and Kate would have created the perfect Lavender marriage. She could continue on with her Lesbian exploits and he could continue on with his pursuing young men.

Laurence Olivier was more homosexual than bisexual, and married to Vivien Leigh who knew all out his exploits with men and accepted it, but she was heterosexual to the core.

Steve McQueen and Paul Newman and Marlon Brando were the ultimate Bisexuals. All 3 of them were capable of having enjoyable sex with either sex.

Merv Griffin was 100% Gay but to dispel the rumors, he resorted to "arm candy" in public, notably Eva Gabor, and for years the public was wondering when they were going to get married. Never! It would have been one concealing Lavender marriage.

Michael Jackson also resorted to "arm candy" at times with Liz Taylor and married Lisa Presley to dispel the rumors.

Hilarious post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities