Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 01:10 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
We really need to get this rule ported over to the phone / tablet forums, and expanded to cover the various mobile religions.
I wrote to a Mod and asked him to put it in the correct forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 01:52 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If sales = marketing $ spent then the Galaxy S5 should have sold 10x more than the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus.
If $ spent on ads automatically = a proportionate amount of sales, then it would be pretty easy to sell things in our culture, no?
There surely is a difference between GOOD marketing and BAD. Actual $'s spent means nothing.
No one said "Apple spent a lot of money and that ='s sales"... no... Apple spent money on a a GOOD ad campaign.

We do need to have a thread like this every now and then. We just need to try and keep the fan boys in check and discuss it like ADULTS.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:45 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,496,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
You started out so well until you started spewing lies about iPhones. Sure, the iPhone may be able to perform your basic tasks with ease, but Android can just do so much more. It's like comparing a $700 laptop to a $300 chromebook: The chromebook may be able to provide a smooth experience while checking your email and streaming youtube, but does it have the functionality or deep customization of the $700 PC? No. The same thing applies when comparing iPhones to Android; the only difference is, the iPhone costs $700 and the Android also costs $700. Would you buy a chromebook for $700 that does your basics well when you can get a fully featured laptop for the same price? No.

Apple doesn't make a innovative product, they make a watered-down and underfeatured product and then charge a bunch because they know people will buy it anyway.

Oh yeah, and not to mention your argument of Apple products just "working" how you want them to is true to Android as well, you're just inexperienced in the platform. I've used both platforms extensively, and doing these things on Android is just as easy.
"Apple Shill", "Apple sheep", etc. Good job name-calling rather than intelligently debate the points I've posted. I suppose that's what one must resort to when they have nothing of substance to say. So spare me the pathetic "iSheep" stuff, I've probably used more Androids than you have. Trust me I'm well versed in both the OSs as well as Windows Phone and nothing I've said above is inaccurate. If you'd like to debate some of my points then I'm welcome to the discussion as to why Android suits you better. In turn I can also intelligently communicate why I prefer iOS without petty name-calling. That's something children do. Save it for the playground during your recess, this isn't the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
Most of what Zeus posted is either simply wrong, or exaggerated to the point of absurdity.
The Note 4 is the best handset money can buy.

For fun I just compared the specs between the N4 and the i6. Simply comical!

Then I realized that the i6 specs are equal to or lower than the old Galaxy S3 i just retired.

The "experience" of using an iPhone so many tout is like preferring Duplo blocks over Lego.
If you believe anything I've said to be incorrect or exaggerated then please let's hear it. You keep resorting to "specs" but if you knew anything about technology then you would know that a direct spec comparison between different OS's is a fallacy. If I run Windows Vista on a machine with better specs than a machine with Windows 7 which has slightly lower specs, which one do you think will run faster? The direct spec comparison is only accurate when comparing different Android phones to each other or different iPhones/iPads to each other. The Note 4 is even limited in performance due to the Touchwiz bloat compared to how fast it could be with vanilla Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Here's a comparison between the iPhone 6 and Google Nexus 5 which is 11 months older:

Apple iPhone 6 vs Google Nexus 5 - Phone specs comparison

Specs blow away the iPhone (except internal storage so Google can push the cloud). If you've ever used a flagship Android phone, you'd know that every single one starting at the original Droid was every bit as smooth as the iPhone has been.

All those "revolutionary" features that iPhone touted when they debuted were copies of Android. Google voice search beat Siri to market by 3 years and had more functionality. Retina display? Samsung's phones looked amazing before that (since they manufactured the displays).

Apple products are solid. The user experience is excellent. But they are not a technological innovator. Apple's success has never had anything to do with technological innovation. They are very good at marketing and playing off market trends. It's like paying for a BMW and getting a Mazda. Consumers get good products at outrageous prices, and they're willing to pay because of Apple's brand. That is how great marketing works, and Apple is the master of it.
Again a failure post with the specs argument. Then in terms of smoothness, even the most die-hard Android enthusiasts and Google themselves wouldn't agree that any Android device around that time period was even close to being as smooth as the iPhone. It wasn't until Jellybean that Android really came of age in terms of smoothness. This was the whole idea around Google's "buttery smooth" push with that update as Android wasn't anything close to "buttery smooth" before that. Also you do know that the "retina display" debuted in 2010 with the iPhone 4 and at the time there was nothing even comparable to it at the time? It wasn't until later on that other companies caught up with it. Trying to rewrite history never makes for a good argument. But if you think I'm wrong then please show me the Samsung device that had a better display than the retina display and was released before June 2010.

As for the rest, you must have missed where Android itself is a product of Apple innovation. Refer to the phones the current Android OEMs were copying before 2007 as well as what Android looked like before the iPhone debuted. The results may shock you. The original iPhone in 2007 was more innovative than anything done in smartphones since. Even by Apple. The iPhone certainly wasn't the first "smartphone" but give credit where it's due, it created the current smartphone market as we know it.

Also please fill me in on something that Android OEMs have "innovated". Hint, a big screen and putting raw specs in your device isn't innovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
That's right. It is not about specs. The OS makes all the difference.

Windows 7 ran much smoother on less powerful machines than Windows Vista ever did on machines with substantially higher specs.
Thank you. Someone who understands how OSs and specs matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Actually, prior to the iPhone, Google was just copying Blackberry/Palm/etc and the parade of horrid devices.

Then the iPhone came out so they decided to copy that instead.
I've been using Android since nearly the beginning. If you honestly believe this, you're delusional. It has taken Google years to get Android to be anywhere close to iOS performance, despite manufacturers throwing beefier hardware at it.

My current device has 4.4.2 and still doesn't perform as well as my iPhone 6, but at least it is generally usable and responsive, which is way more than can be said for the 2.x days.
Exactly. It's always ironic to see people slam Apple and the iPhone only to praise a product that is an evolution of the blueprint set by Apple.

I agree Android is far better than it was in the days of Gingerbread. Back then it wasn't very usable but now it's a decent and usable OS provided you have one of the flagship devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
If sales = marketing $ spent then the Galaxy S5 should have sold 10x more than the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus.
Precisely. The largest and by any metric, the only, successful Android manufacturer spends far more on marketing than Apple does. Several times over. In fact they spend more on marketing than the rest of the industry combined. If the iPhone is all marketing hype then why does it continue to sell so well while Samsung's profits are in free fall?

So in the end, it's perfectly fine to prefer to use an Android device over iOS. That's what choice is. However for me iOS and the iPhone suit my needs far better than any Android on the market right now so I will continue using them for the time being. I've already outlined what makes iOS better in my opinion in my original post. I'd venture to say there are many others who feel the same way. Other people's needs might be better suited by a Samsung/HTC/LG device and that's fine too. But I don't see why there's this inferiority complex some of them have to where they feel they need to bash iOS users as "sheep" or "duped" because the iPhone is more successful than whatever device they prefer. Outline some of the actual uses and features that make you prefer Android (specs is a poor argument across different OSs and no one walks into a cell phone shop asking which device has the most RAM or how many cores are in the processor) and we can have an intelligent debate.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:01 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppelin171 View Post
Note that the Xiaomi Mi3 is 1/3 the price of the iPhone...
The phone doesn't even have LTE connectivity!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:05 AM

735 posts, read 655,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
"Apple Shill", "Apple sheep", etc. Good job name-calling rather than intelligently debate the points I've posted. I suppose that's what one must resort to when they have nothing of substance to say. So spare me the pathetic "iSheep" stuff, I've probably used more Androids than you have. Trust me I'm well versed in both the OSs as well as Windows Phone and nothing I've said above is inaccurate. If you'd like to debate some of my points then I'm welcome to the discussion as to why Android suits you better. In turn I can also intelligently communicate why I prefer iOS without petty name-calling. That's something children do. Save it for the playground during your recess, this isn't the place.
Apparently you forgot the part of my post where I legitimately argued against your points? Someone needs to brush up on their reading comprehension skills

Old 12-05-2014, 07:42 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
The phone doesn't even have LTE connectivity!
But the numbers without units and no description of what he's even talking about say MORE. And MORE = BETTER, right?

At least, that's how Zeppelin's world seems to operate. More = better, regardless of actual performance, smoothness, UI design, hardware design, features, or bugs.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:36 AM

735 posts, read 655,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
But the numbers without units and no description of what he's even talking about say MORE. And MORE = BETTER, right?

At least, that's how Zeppelin's world seems to operate. More = better, regardless of actual performance, smoothness, UI design, hardware design, features, or bugs.
The numbers represent 3D gaming performance, where a $250 phone outclasses the $750 iPhone. And yes, more often does=better. More features, more customization, more PPI, and as evidenced, more performance. I can bring out some graphs of Android phones obliterating the iPhone in battery too, if you like.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:23 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
My god, Zeppelin, you are such an Android fan boy you are even annoying me: an Android Fan.

Who gives a flying rats butt about "3D gaming performance"? Ohhhh, but Android gets an extra 10 FPS!!!!
*yawn*
Give it a rest, bro.

Old 12-05-2014, 10:25 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
My god, Zeppelin, you are such an Android fan boy you are even annoying me: an Android Fan.

Who gives a flying rats butt about "3D gaming performance"? Ohhhh, but Android gets an extra 10 FPS!!!!
*yawn*
Give it a rest, bro.
Really.

Everyone needs to quit arguing about phones, and use the dang things. If they know how.

Y'all go call your Mamas and say, "Hi, Mom. How ya doing?"
It will be astoundingly more productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones