Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 02:43 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I expect the Samsung Fold 5 or 6 will be my next phone.

I like big phones.

https://www.samsung.com/us/smartphon...e&gclsrc=3p.ds

A couple of months ago I was at an Apple store doing some Apple Music downloads, and the guy sitting next to me had a new Fold and an iPhone 13 Pro Max. He was updating to the latest iOS version on his 13 Pro Max while playing a game on his Fold while the iPhone was updating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 06:51 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Personally, I like Samsung phones and for now I plan on updating my next phone to another Samsung when I feel it is time. My S21 5G does everything I want/need it to and that's just my opinion. I am very happy with that brand as of now.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,564 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I upgraded my 3 year-old iPhone XR for a 14Pro just last week. It was not because I wanted to, though, the old phone decided to take a swim, and fell into a lake while I was fishing on vacation. It took over 2 hours in the small Verizon store to get the new one.

Old 10-04-2022, 11:18 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
My oldest kid is on some plan to get a new iPhone when each one rolls out.

That triggers a chain of events in our family where the phone being replaced goes to my wife or to my youngest and I get the option to take over their old phone before it goes to eBay.

I like to keep the one I have as long as I can. I just retired my iPhone 5 (or 7) for an iPhone 11.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:25 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I upgraded my 3 year-old iPhone XR for a 14Pro just last week. It was not because I wanted to, though, the old phone decided to take a swim, and fell into a lake while I was fishing on vacation. It took over 2 hours in the small Verizon store to get the new one.
I hate going into the Verizon store. We have a decent sized one and just getting a SIM card was an exercise in patience. I do not understand why I can't just walk in, say I need a SIM card and get one. They can even look up my phone number if they want to prove I have VZW. Just give me the card and shut up - I don't want a sales pitch, I don't want a tutorial, I don't want questions on whether I know what I'm doing.

The last time I went in there for a phone (which was probably for my Droid Turbo many moons ago), it took forever. Have to talk to a sales guy, then they pass you off to the guy to activate the phone, blah blah.

Just give me the damn phone and I can do it myself. If I walk in and specify I want XXXX phone in XXXX capacity in XXXX color, I feel like it's clear I don't need a sales guy to ask me what I need. It's really not hard. Nowadays, I just order it online from Apple for in store pickup, walk in, grab and go. Get home, set it up, swap SIM cards and presto, new phone is working.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:56 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,343,886 times
ReblTeen84, never forget that the representatives at the store are required to meet a certain sales quota on a weekly/monthly basis or they lose their job. They don't earn commissions on the sale of a SIM card. Of course, they will attempt to make a sale one way or the other. Just understand the reality and that it is not a personal attack on you. If they merely sold you a SIM card and pushed you out the door, you would likely complain about that too.

Old 10-06-2022, 11:40 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
ReblTeen84, never forget that the representatives at the store are required to meet a certain sales quota on a weekly/monthly basis or they lose their job. They don't earn commissions on the sale of a SIM card. Of course, they will attempt to make a sale one way or the other. Just understand the reality and that it is not a personal attack on you. If they merely sold you a SIM card and pushed you out the door, you would likely complain about that too.
Having worked retail a long time ago in a galaxy far away - their job is also to learn how to judge a customer. There are of course folks who need sales people, and that's why they're there and have a job. But if I walk in asking for a specific device because I know what I want, don't **** me off by giving me a spiel or the runaround. If I come in asking for a SIM card specifically, it's a sure bet I don't need a phone to go with that SIM card, I already have one. That particular time, I needed a 5G SIM to go with the shiny new iPhone 12 Pro I had just gotten from work. No Mr Verizon Salesperson, I don't need to speak with someone about a phone, I already have a brand new one. Give me the SIM card you're requiring me to upgrade to and let me handle it myself.

Without going down a rabbit hole unrelated to the thread, I seriously think this is one of the reasons brick and mortar stores are slowly failing (or at least aren't near as busy as they used to be). You have folks that want a sales guy, but you also have a growing population who doesn't need a talking head and already knows exactly what they want. The downside, of course, is that lowers the need for dedicated sales staff.

Old 10-15-2022, 03:51 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
I waited until the battery life in my last phone was untenable. Was about 6 years. Would have kept it longer otherwise. Luckily they make a functionally equivalent model, still, so there was no learning curve in how to use it. Some upgrades under the hood like 5g capability and a slightly better camera. Otherwise identical which suits me.

Old 10-17-2022, 08:26 PM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
5 years seems to be my average. By that time technology has advanced enough to make it worth it.

Just changed from a Galaxy 8 to a 22 today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones