Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:22 PM

12 posts, read 22,725 times

Advertisements

We are going to be moving to the Charleston / Summerville area as soon as possible – and we are so excited! We will be coming down to visit next month and do some house and job hunting but any help ahead of time would be super. There is only so much I can tell by doing a Google search and touring the neighborhoods online. We are open to any areas that are safe, affordable, and that have decent schools. I have seen that the DD2 schools are good but am not sure which others are ok.

My husband is currently a licensed insurance agent and Office Manager at an Independent Insurance Agency in MO. So if anyone knows of any insurance jobs - weather it be with an agency or insurance company (such as claims adjuster, underwriter, etc…) we would love that information. He is open to pretty much anything in the insurance industry. He has also had a lot of experience in the printing industry from printing to management and would consider that as well.

We have looked at a lot of houses online and have been talking to a realtor - we have gotten his opinion on some areas but would love some other input as not everyone has the same opinions. If you have any on the following neighborhoods in Summerville & Goose Creek please let us know. I have heard good and bad about Ladson and N. Charleston and would love info on any nice neighborhoods there as well (or anywhere else in the area). Your comments will be greatly appreciated .

Summerville:
Flowertown
Flowertown Village
Robynwyn
Sangaree
Ashley Hills
New Hope

Goose Creek:
Boulder Bluff
Holly Court
Sedgefield
Pineview Hills
Willow Brook
Greenview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 05:02 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,353,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCTwinMom View Post
We are going to be moving to the Charleston / Summerville area as soon as possible – and we are so excited! We will be coming down to visit next month and do some house and job hunting but any help ahead of time would be super. There is only so much I can tell by doing a Google search and touring the neighborhoods online. We are open to any areas that are safe, affordable, and that have decent schools. I have seen that the DD2 schools are good but am not sure which others are ok.

My husband is currently a licensed insurance agent and Office Manager at an Independent Insurance Agency in MO. So if anyone knows of any insurance jobs - weather it be with an agency or insurance company (such as claims adjuster, underwriter, etc…) we would love that information. He is open to pretty much anything in the insurance industry. He has also had a lot of experience in the printing industry from printing to management and would consider that as well.

We have looked at a lot of houses online and have been talking to a realtor - we have gotten his opinion on some areas but would love some other input as not everyone has the same opinions. If you have any on the following neighborhoods in Summerville & Goose Creek please let us know. I have heard good and bad about Ladson and N. Charleston and would love info on any nice neighborhoods there as well (or anywhere else in the area). Your comments will be greatly appreciated .

Summerville:
Flowertown
Flowertown Village
Robynwyn
Sangaree
Ashley Hills
New Hope

Goose Creek:
Boulder Bluff
Holly Court
Sedgefield
Pineview Hills
Willow Brook
Greenview

Flowertown areas are ok not the best but much better than Sangaree, that would be a definite no.

I don't know anything about Goose Creek or some of those others you have listed in Summerville....

Old 06-29-2010, 07:45 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,688,387 times
I live in GC but wouldn't live in any of those subdivisions. Check out Crowfield Plantation. Here is a list of subdivisions in the plantation.

Covenants for Crowfield Home Owners Association

Old 06-30-2010, 05:02 AM

252 posts, read 496,354 times
This may sound a little condescending to some of the newer posters, but...I'm really not understanding why anyone would move or plan a move anywhere without first confirming that they can get a job here? I don't mean to offend anyone, sorry if it looks that way. I just think that having a job should be the first priority, especially these days where employment is pretty hard to find, not the living area.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,437,396 times
You need to drive through all the neighborhoods you have listed at all times of the day and night.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 PM

Thanks OleTomCat and Luvsdabeach for your comments - I will check out the neighborhoods in GC from the link.

clanaxberg - we won't be physically moving until my husband gets a job. Once we do move we don't want to rent and although it may sound strange to you we have weighed the options and having a house bought before we get there will work out best for us. Our finances are such that my husband doesn't need a job that pays tons of money so if he has to settle for something that is not ideal for a while and keep searching for a better job we are ok with that - he also is able to work in a handful of different fields which will help in the job search. I agree that the "smart" way to do things isn't necessarily the way that we are going about this move, but we have prepared financially and are able to take some risks right now. Oh - and no offense taken .

beachme - from what I am hearing all are in agreeance with our realtor and we will just avoid the neighborhoods I have asked about - would rather be safe than sorry.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks OleTomCat and Luvsdabeach for your comments - I will check out the neighborhoods in GC from the link.

clanaxberg - we won't be physically moving until my husband gets a job. Once we do move we don't want to rent and although it may sound strange to you we have weighed the options and having a house bought before we get there will work out best for us. Our finances are such that my husband doesn't need a job that pays tons of money so if he has to settle for something that is not ideal for a while and keep searching for a better job we are ok with that - he also is able to work in a handful of different fields which will help in the job search. I agree that the "smart" way to do things isn't necessarily the way that we are going about this move, but we have prepared financially and are able to take some risks right now. Oh - and no offense taken .

beachme - from what I am hearing all are in agreeance with our realtor and we will just avoid the neighborhoods I have asked about - would rather be safe than sorry.

I am glad my post didn't cause offense. You are certainly in a great position if you don't have to worry too much about finances, that's great!

I guess I should have added that to my post. "Unless you can afford not to worry too much about a job" LOL.

Good luck with your home search and your eventual move, you will get lots of helpful info from people on this site!

Old 07-02-2010, 07:11 AM

29 posts, read 84,430 times
We moved to Goose Creek about two weeks ago, and really like it! Our neighborhood is really quiet and convenient to everything. Our neighborhood is not listed on your list, but like the other posters said, I would avoid Sangaree as well. We drove through it, and I didn't care for the area. We can be everywhere we want to go in about twenty minutes and there is grocery and other shopping nearby.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:17 AM

clanaxberg - I wouldn't say we don't have to worry about finances (I wish)... we have just prepared for the "what if's" of making this move . We of course still hope that he finds a job quickly for obvious reasons but also because we are just so ready and thrilled to be moving down there!

chauninc - I sent you a message re: Goose Creek

We are coming down later this month - to look at houses and get to know the area a bit and we can't wait to get down there and look around!! These forums are such a help for those that can't do a lot of traveling to the area before relocating there.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
We are coming down later this month - to look at houses and get to know the area a bit and we can't wait to get down there and look around!! These forums are such a help for those that can't do a lot of traveling to the area before relocating there.
Couldn't agree more, by the time we finally moved here we already knew where we were going to live and which high school our Son was going too, lots of other helpful advice too...All with help from the members of this forum, I hope I can 'pay it forward' by helping out where/when I can
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area