Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 10:49 AM

2 posts, read 1,911 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

This is my first post here, so here's me saying "what's up?"

I currently live in San Diego CA. The military brought me out here, but I separated honorably in 2008. I really love living here, but now that I'm a civilian, the high tax rate, and inane firearms and automobile laws are really getting me thinking that I need to move somewhere else. I'm considering a move to Charleston South Carolina.

I'm 33, and single with no children so school districts are of no concern to me (at least not yet). My aunt and uncle live in Myrtle Beach. My parents and sister live in Charlottesville VA. My parents just purchased some land in Myrtle Beach with the intention of retiring there. I've thought about Myrtle Beach, and I like it there, but there is just something about it that doesn't quite fit with me. I think Charleston would be a better choice. I'm not a hunter, or a fisherman, and I would prefer to stay closer to the city than away from it.

What are some good areas to look at real estate wise? I'm used to single family homes costing $300-$400K being in California. I'm also a first time home buyer, and can qualify for VA.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Todd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 11:07 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,987 times
If I was you I would look into the West Ashley area.
I live in N.Chas,,,,but Im west ashley more than any where else........................

Old 02-06-2011, 12:45 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,019,459 times
Don't overlook homes on the peninsula or James Island either. Single guy, early thirties, and wants to be as close as possible to the city? Lower Mount Pleasant, James Island, West Ashley and homes on the peninsula itself would fit well chief. Plenty of options, you need to come visit.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:05 AM

2 posts, read 1,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJShymansky View Post
Don't overlook homes on the peninsula or James Island either. Single guy, early thirties, and wants to be as close as possible to the city? Lower Mount Pleasant, James Island, West Ashley and homes on the peninsula itself would fit well chief. Plenty of options, you need to come visit.
Yeah, definitely am planning a visit when I get back in country.

Not sure now if I want to purchase a home.............or a boat and live aboard? Living aboard a boat seems more my style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area