Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 04:38 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times

Advertisements

Look, these laws are all over, even right here in the Lowcountry. The reason this particular woman is having such a hard time is because her neighbors are calling the cops on this again and again. It's not just Mt Pleasant police suddenly decided to pick on this one woman.

If you read the article posted earlier that interviewed her neighbor: they offered to help they asked nicely, they tried lots of different ways for years. She was obstinate and wanted to maintain the mini junkyard she had. She wants to engage in civil disobedience, then fine, but then don't do this woe is me bit for the media and act like it's just because she's too poor to do anything and no one would help her. Reality is she wants to willfully ignore this ordinance; she should at least be honest about her intentions and reasons.

Also sounds like this task force that Mt P is creating isn't an enforcement task force, it's to figure out means and methods of dealing with things like this before it escalates to going to court. I think that's a good idea. Try and create a mechanism that can help situations like this that won't result in an overly heavy hand from the justice system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I didn't read the 11 pages of OMFG DRAMA!!! since this was posted but do they hand out plates too, or is it only licensing? It'd be totally worth it to not have to wait around with the other 300 people at Leeds next time.
My husband got his plate there. Believe they have a DNR office there too for boat registration too. It's really quick there. Never been there more than 10-15 minutes.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:47 AM

3,256 posts, read 5,281,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I didn't read the 11 pages of OMFG DRAMA!!! since this was posted but do they hand out plates too, or is it only licensing? It'd be totally worth it to not have to wait around with the other 300 people at Leeds next time.
We went to Leeds ONCE. On Saturday. BAD.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:48 AM

40 posts, read 64,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
First .. the case WAS all about ZONING and nothing to do with lawn maintenance/decor.

Second .. Supreme Court overturning itself is not unheard of ... ESPECIALLY in cases of civil liberties violations.

Other cases outside of wikipedia don't change the question of constitutionality of a law that says your grass must be cut to someone else's standards or that you can't have a mattress in your front yard.

And btw .. I like how you failed to mention that the guy in your linked suit appealed ... nothing in your post about THAT or the results of his appeal(s).

Third .. You are right. If the neighbors don't like her yard they can move.
Jeez. Did you click the link that i just presented in my last post, or did you just assume it was the same case as the one that i presented out of Wikipedia? I know that they both have the letter "v" in the title, but they're quite different.

If you don't feel like the application of zoning laws and this case in particular doesn't apply, well, first you're wrong, and second, click the link that I included in my last post for a different case that directly reflects your argument. If i didn't mention an appeal of the Chorzempa case, it's because it's not mentioned in the article, so please do some research of your own to prove that this was overturned. I have nothing to hide here, and am a bit surprised that you are insinuating that I'm misrepresenting the facts of the case.

Yes, Supreme Court cases do get overturned. When this one does please feel free to start a thread about how these city ordinances are not Constitutional and I'll be happy to agree with you. Until then they are deemed by the folks appointed to interpret these laws to be, in fact, Constitutional.

As to your third point? Not sure i understand that one, are you making up qoutations and attributing them to me?

Old 05-25-2012, 04:33 PM

152 posts, read 322,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Also sounds like this task force that Mt P is creating isn't an enforcement task force, it's to figure out means and methods of dealing with things like this before it escalates to going to court. .
Then why are there going to be cops.......aka men with guns.....showing up at people's doors on this task force? If a man with a gun shows up on your porch to have a chat about how your yard looks....its a bit more serious than just figuring out a way to deal with community prettiness issues.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
Then why are there going to be cops.......aka men with guns.....showing up at people's doors on this task force? If a man with a gun shows up on your porch to have a chat about how your yard looks....its a bit more serious than just figuring out a way to deal with community prettiness issues.
See, I read the article. Your interpretation of it is not what the article nor the quote from the Town Planner said but don't let facts get in the way.

Mount Pleasant neighbors fed up with messy yard - Charleston, SC | Breaking News, Sports, Weather
Quote:
Christiane Farrell, the director of planning and development for the town of Mount Pleasant says she has received several complaints from Ruggles' neighbors since she was arrested.

"Some of the materials that are in the yard -- wood, lumber, some plastic potting and various things. A children's wading pool has been in the back. And, the roof has been an issue," said Farrell.

Now, Farrell says the town will build a task force to help settle the situation.

"The best way to do this is a little more of a comprehensive approach that involves people other than the typical planning and code enforcement. If the police department could help us weigh in, if there are some non- profit agencies that are familiar with how to deal with these types of situations," said Farrell.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
See, I read the article. Your interpretation of it is not what the article nor the quote from the Town Planner said but don't let facts get in the way.

Mount Pleasant neighbors fed up with messy yard - Charleston, SC | Breaking News, Sports, Weather
You have to read the FIRST article, published about 1-2 days before that one. The task force will have cops on it. In fact, last year when they arrested the woman, the police chief himself was at her door. THen she was finally arrested by a group of about 4 armed cops. At her job.

If the "Town Planner" doesn't get her way, which will be determined by asking the nosey neighbors if they are happy, then the men with guns will then take over.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:20 PM

And to the person who said the dog being fenced in would be reasonable enough to remove liability...........what if she just puts a fence around the scrap metal? Then kids can't get hurt on it, and she isn't causing a public safety hazard.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
You have to read the FIRST article, published about 1-2 days before that one. The task force will have cops on it. In fact, last year when they arrested the woman, the police chief himself was at her door. THen she was finally arrested by a group of about 4 armed cops. At her job.

If the "Town Planner" doesn't get her way, which will be determined by asking the nosey neighbors if they are happy, then the men with guns will then take over.
Well, that was quite a spin. Input from police, that's what the article said. I suspect that this task force is being created to avoid making this a police issue all of the time.

Oh and that police chief. He knocked on her door several times to try and help her well before she violated multiple court orders, which resulted in her going to jail.

Don't you see this case is not an issue of an inability of this woman to maintain her property but an unwillingness to do so? She has choices and she has chosen to engage in civil disobedience. That does have consequences.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 981 times
Quote:
And to the person who said the dog being fenced in would be reasonable enough to remove liability...........what if she just puts a fence around the scrap metal? Then kids can't get hurt on it, and she isn't causing a public safety hazard.
What if she put it all on a space ship and sent it to the moon? Why are you asking about hypothetical scenarios? What if she just stored it in her fenced in back yard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area