Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:49 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,095 times

Advertisements

Regarding smell from landfill..never once smelled the landfill over the last three years. My husband has been in the landfill site and never smelled it while in there. They process the trash appropriately and do a wonderful job with recycling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,505,347 times
I live outside 526 in West Ashley near Carolina Bay and Boltons Landing (but on the Savannah Hwy side, not Bees Ferry Rd) and feel I'm so isolated! I mean, the mall and grocery store are 5 minutes away (however, I'm not impressed at all with the Citadel Mall so I always go to Northwoods) but maybe it's because I travel to Daniel Island for work. I do agree that inside 526 can get quite congested so I would stay away from there.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 AM

124 posts, read 335,554 times
I think you should still look in West Ashley, just so you know you did. I always like to look at everything I can so I don't have any what ifs. Boltons Landing and Carolina Bay are really nice neighborhoods. I would probably pick Carolina Bay just because the amenities are better. I have lived out this way for 6 years and never had a problem with the landfill.

Johns Island is a really nice area, but I would feel too far away living there. I go there to eat all the time because two of my favorite restaurants are located there (Wild Olive and Fat Hen). One problem I have with Johns Island is getting there. I would not like sitting in traffic to turn on Main Rd. or traffic on Folly Rd. Some wouldn't mind though and it's not always bad.

Last edited by pacomarj; 03-24-2013 at 12:01 PM..

Old 03-24-2013, 01:19 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times
So which is more "out there" (boonies) - Carolina Bay and Boltons Landing in West Ashley or Cottages at Johns Island - Mayband/River Rd Johns Island?

Yes, I think we will check WA out just so we can not regret that we didn't and always wonder....

Old 03-24-2013, 01:26 PM

The Cottages on John's Island are further out than Bolton's Landing and Carolina Bay. I agree you should check them all out just to be sure.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:47 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times
I did a MapQuest to Folly Beach from a house in Bolton's Landing and a house in Cottages on Johns Island - almost the same distance - 22 min/12 miles for Cottages, and 25 min/12.56 miles for Bolton's Landing.

Also ran one for High Cotton restaurant in Charleston - 20 min, 9.17 miles from Cottages, and 17 min, 6.51 miles from Bolton's.

How is the crime in West Ashley compared to John's Island? Have heard WA crime is high.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:50 PM

West Ashley encompasses a huge area in Charleston and some areas of West Ashley have more crime than other areas. The area of Bolton's Landing is a pretty safe area, but as we all know there are no guarantees wherever you live. Even Mt Pleasant, John's Island and James Island all have their incidents of crime also.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:35 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWold View Post
I live outside 526 in West Ashley near Carolina Bay and Boltons Landing (but on the Savannah Hwy side, not Bees Ferry Rd) and feel I'm so isolated! I mean, the mall and grocery store are 5 minutes away (however, I'm not impressed at all with the Citadel Mall so I always go to Northwoods) but maybe it's because I travel to Daniel Island for work. I do agree that inside 526 can get quite congested so I would stay away from there.
I live out here, I think we're fairly close in age too. So you're not like, alone or anything .

Have you been to Tanger Outlets? It's closer than Northwoods but a lot better than Citadel, I usually go there. Just hop on 526 it's like 4 exits down from you. Not a bad drive at all.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:36 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,050,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomarj View Post
I think you should still look in West Ashley, just so you know you did. I always like to look at everything I can so I don't have any what ifs. Boltons Landing and Carolina Bay are really nice neighborhoods. I would probably pick Carolina Bay just because the amenities are better. I have lived out this way for 6 years and never had a problem with the landfill.

Johns Island is a really nice area, but I would feel too far away living there. I go there to eat all the time because two of my favorite restaurants are located there (Wild Olive and Fat Hen). One problem I have with Johns Island is getting there. I would not like sitting in traffic to turn on Main Rd. or traffic on Folly Rd. Some wouldn't mind though and it's not always bad.
After looking at model homes in both communities, I definitely say Carolina Bay over Bolton's. But if you're renting, the apartments at Bolton's are a great option.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 PM

3,863 posts, read 4,600,535 times
On Johns Island be aware of the plans for route 526. The last leg of it is highly contested but I'm guessing will get built sooner or later and it goes across James and Johns Isl.

You can find a map for the proposed routes online: SCDOT - I-526 - Welcome to the Mark Clark Expressway!

Some of these routes will add value to some properties and detract from others.

Not sure how new you mean by "newer house" but there's homes on James Isl that might fit your needs built in the 90's (1990's that is). Seaside Plantation for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area