Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 06:27 PM

10 posts, read 32,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
Del Webb is great ... get in now while it is still affordable.

The amenities are actually pretty nice IMHO. Tennis courts, community building, pool etc etc are all very nice and well maintained.

I say get in now while it is still affordable because, as anyone that's been by there or read about it recently, there's A LOT of new commercial construction going on at Carnes Crossroads and Cane Bay. As well as a lot more in the planning stages. Most recently the Publix shopping center at the entrance. Even plans for new schools and a golf course.

Hi bulldogrsp61,
You brought up some very good points about getting in before the prices go up. Can I ask what does IMHO mean? How far from Del Webb Summerville are stores such as Penney, Kohls, Lowes, Home Depot?

Do you live in the development. If so, are there any odors? I live near a sewer treatment plant and until they built a new one, we dealt with terrible odors and I worry about what industries are in the area that could cause odors. Any help that you can shed on that would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 07:53 PM

506 posts, read 1,025,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L and S View Post
Hi bulldogrsp61,
You brought up some very good points about getting in before the prices go up. Can I ask what does IMHO mean? How far from Del Webb Summerville are stores such as Penney, Kohls, Lowes, Home Depot?

Do you live in the development. If so, are there any odors? I live near a sewer treatment plant and until they built a new one, we dealt with terrible odors and I worry about what industries are in the area that could cause odors. Any help that you can shed on that would be appreciated.
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion

As for odors, the most pungent odors in the Charleston area in my opinion are near the paper mill that is close to the Don Holt Bridge - Don N. Holt Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - and that odor can travel to most of the surrounding area depending on which way the wind is blowing. To me, it is only really bothersome in the immediate vicinity of the mill. I have relatives living in Del Webb and I don't really notice the odor there very often if at all.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion

As for odors, the most pungent odors in the Charleston area in my opinion are near the paper mill that is close to the Don Holt Bridge - Don N. Holt Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - and that odor can travel to most of the surrounding area depending on which way the wind is blowing. To me, it is only really bothersome in the immediate vicinity of the mill. I have relatives living in Del Webb and I don't really notice the odor there very often if at all.
Thank you so very much for the info on the odors and for letting me know about IMHO. Learned something new today. You make me feel much better about the Del Webb community. My sister is going there on Tuesday since she's real close and lives in North Carolina. We're in New York and see you are too. Where are you from? We're in the Hudson Valley by West Point and my daughter is in Syracuse. My sister would move to Del Webb too so we're both hoping the development is great. Maybe you would know, how do they maintain the water areas behind the homes? That's the one feature we like the best. Almost all homes have water in the backyard and we really love that. But what happens if there's a real drought? And our mosquitos a problem with all that water? You've been a great help.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:12 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,378 times
Quote:
Thank you so very much for the info on the odors and for letting me know about IMHO. Learned something new today. You make me feel much better about the Del Webb community. My sister is going there on Tuesday since she's real close and lives in North Carolina. We're in New York and see you are too. Where are you from? We're in the Hudson Valley by West Point and my daughter is in Syracuse. My sister would move to Del Webb too so we're both hoping the development is great. Maybe you would know, how do they maintain the water areas behind the homes? That's the one feature we like the best. Almost all homes have water in the backyard and we really love that. But what happens if there's a real drought? And our mosquitos a problem with all that water? You've been a great help.
I grew up in the Albany area and lived there until I moved here (in North Charleston) after retirement. I don't know if you've seen my previous posts regarding Del Webb. It is a very nice community but the downside for me is that you have to drive a good distance to get to many of the local attractions. Since my relatives moved there, the new Publix Supermarket opened up just a couple of miles away (they are very thankful for that). I would also caution you to read the Home Owners Association rules and regulations and make sure you are OK with them before signing on the dotted line.

They have a very nice amenity center with both an indoor and outdoor pool and a great exercise facility. If you don't mind the fact that it is a little out of the way and you intend to use the amenities to get your money's worth out of your HOA fees, it is a probably a good option. I think I saw in one of your previous posts a question about guests using the amenities. I am not sure of the specifics, but there are limits to that. You might want to address those concerns with the sales representative. Good luck.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:44 PM

1,075 posts, read 2,112,996 times
Quote:
Hi bulldogrsp61,

In My Honest Opinion ... or In My Humble Opinion.

I don't live there but I work for a local civil engineering/land planning/development firm and we have done a lot of work on Del Webb as well as Cane Bay and Carnes Crossroads.

It is about 11 miles from Azalea Square and The North Main Market in Summerville on 17A (Lowes, Walmart, Target, World Market, various shops and restaurants etc.) There's also a Home Depot a little farther up the road off 17A.

I've not smelled any off the wall odors out there. It really is a nice development. I can't think of any industrial sites in the area that would create any type of odors either.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:04 PM

Default great info

Quote:
Originally Posted by exupstateny View Post
I grew up in the Albany area and lived there until I moved here (in North Charleston) after retirement. I don't know if you've seen my previous posts regarding Del Webb. It is a very nice community but the downside for me is that you have to drive a good distance to get to many of the local attractions. Since my relatives moved there, the new Publix Supermarket opened up just a couple of miles away (they are very thankful for that). I would also caution you to read the Home Owners Association rules and regulations and make sure you are OK with them before signing on the dotted line.

They have a very nice amenity center with both an indoor and outdoor pool and a great exercise facility. If you don't mind the fact that it is a little out of the way and you intend to use the amenities to get your money's worth out of your HOA fees, it is a probably a good option. I think I saw in one of your previous posts a question about guests using the amenities. I am not sure of the specifics, but there are limits to that. You might want to address those concerns with the sales representative. Good luck.
Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know about these things. I will definitely get the HOA rules and make sure we can abide by everything. Since we'll be retired when we move there, I'm hoping I won't mind the drive to the attractions. As long as I've got a supermarket near by, I think I'll be good. If you think of anything else I should inquire about, I'd appreciate you letting me know. Thanks so much!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogrsp61 View Post
In My Honest Opinion ... or In My Humble Opinion.

I don't live there but I work for a local civil engineering/land planning/development firm and we have done a lot of work on Del Webb as well as Cane Bay and Carnes Crossroads.

It is about 11 miles from Azalea Square and The North Main Market in Summerville on 17A (Lowes, Walmart, Target, World Market, various shops and restaurants etc.) There's also a Home Depot a little farther up the road off 17A.

I've not smelled any off the wall odors out there. It really is a nice development. I can't think of any industrial sites in the area that would create any type of odors either.
Thank you so much for your info. You're making me feel much better about the community. My sister will be checking out Del Webb Charleston on Tuesday and I'm so excited to see what she has to say. I read on one of the threads that the land is really barren because they took down all the trees, but that was a post from a few years ago. I hope the development now has some greenery so it feels warm.

I appreciate your feedback so much.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:37 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
We live near sun city carolina lakes my parents know people in there and a few of them are selling! There a lot of mixed reviews so to speak, with that being said hubby and I went to dinner and there were these 3 couples and they started talking to us and they live in Sun City and proceeded to tell us how much they do not like it there they are all from NY like hubby and I.....they had mentioned how difficult it was to make friends and how people arent very nice or friendly and it depends on which section you live in....pls talk to people in the community......good luck, we will be in your shoes in 8 or 9 yrs lol

Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
I was told that Del Webb was "swell." Not sure what that means... someone will need to translate that on their own. They may have also used the word "gee" in the sentence.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:03 PM

174 posts, read 652,092 times
Default Del webb Charleston-How is it now

We have lived here at DWC for 5+ years and we love it. Del Webb now has about 500 home occupied and going strong. Publix Supermarket is convenient and the shopping center around Publix has 3 or 4 stores open and a dentist office close to being completed. The are presently 3 public schools within Cane Bay. DWC is not in the "Boonies". This is a fast growing area with something for everyone. Two huge developments are under construction within 15 minutes drive of Cane Bay.

Carnes Cross Roads and Nexton will both be the size of small towns when they are built out. Nexton is stating that they will have 10000 residents plus shops, businesses and parks.

A drive to downtown Charleston averages 30 minutes and Isle of Palms (beaches) about 45 minutes.

HOA fees go up because inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area