Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 05:34 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I know there was a lot of talk in the past here on the Charleston forum on the Del Webb. This link proves that http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...harleston.html. A lot of it was chatter and personal more or less. I know lots love it there. It is what has intrigued me to Del Webb communities themselves. I am interersted in the Charleston area as well as one place in San Antonio and one in Atlanta. In the above mentioned link accufitgolf mentioned also the Hilton Head area as well. I have looked at that and we will visit there as well but to us that seems just a little bit overgrown and too big for our liking but we will not discount it.

Anyway I have a few questions as to how the community has faired since beginning.
1) Building construction still holding?
2) I saw that Publix has finally opened a store nearby. Is it a good store?
3) The community center is complete or are they still buiding?
4) Though neither of us are restricted from driving has there been any thoughts to those that even though they can care for themselves to assist them in shopping and doctors visits and the like?
5) HOA agreement. I haven't seen one yet so I cannot comment. I talked to a Del Webb representative on line and they said that HOA's are local and she didnt have access to one. I am visiting the San Antonio community this summer so I will be able to see one then or sooner since I have been in contact with that one. Has anyone found the HOA too restrictive for what they expected?
6) Weather related. No one can predict the path of storms and mother nature, but I know that a few hurricanes have passed through the area skirting by but those storms have great winds and distructive power. Has anyone had to be concerned or be relocated because of a storm?
7) We have never been to SC. Charleston is a historic city. Lots of people vacation there. What is the busy season for beaches?
8) Golf courses in the area. How crowded are they and how well kept are they?
9) I know Hilton Head is huge for golf. So I will look there but since I mention it has anyone been to both and compared? Did you decide Summerville or Hilton Head?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 06:06 PM

Wow more than 60 views and no replies? This is quite amazing. With all the excitement when the Del Webb opened. Then over the years some chatter about the lack of a grocery store.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:04 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,447,729 times
There aren't a lot of people here on C-D who can say anything about it. Lots of people view posts in threads...doesn't mean they are "qualified" to respond from personal experience.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealDreamer View Post
There aren't a lot of people here on C-D who can say anything about it. Lots of people view posts in threads...doesn't mean they are "qualified" to respond from personal experience.

I know and on the ones that did a quick view I can understand. I was just kind of surprised. The http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...leston-29.html has almost 300 posts and 49k views. It began July 2007 with Stella2 and continued on until just about September of 2012 in earnest. I am guess that now most of those who moved in there just do their own thing and don't come on here anymore. I was just hoping that one or two might just check it out.

So maybe I should start another posts asking about life in Northwest Charleston. The area where the Del Webb community is seems a tad remote. Not that I want to live downtown I also don't want to live so far away from things like a regular bus scheduled run or a long distance drive to visit a doctor or hospital. I am not looking for a school for minors but a college for the wife might be okay. We are looking at 55+ communities because we like what we have seen of it and the lifestyle many enjoy there. Were looking for camaraderie and friendship of people of our age and likes. We don't want a place that is snobbish and uppercrust because the wife and I are blue collar workers. I am a retired army veteran and my wife is humble and beautiful. We raise one daughter and several nephews have also had our influence as they have come to live with us while attending schools.

So to my questions that I had hoped might have been answered by someone living in the Del Webb in Summerville could apply to outsiders.

I will modify and see if some of you can answer to them. It is important to me to understand and like the community I plan to live in before I make those plans.

1) Buildings on the north west side of Charlston in Summerville in particular. I wonder how much damage a typical hurricane glancing by or hitting nearby get.
2) I saw that Publix has finally opened a store nearby. Is it a good store?

3) Are there other stores in Summerville?
4) Though neither of us are restricted from driving has there been any thoughts to those that even though they can care for themselves to assist them in shopping and doctors visits and the like?
5) Weather related and hoping for a little more detail on question 1. No one can predict the path of storms and mother nature, but I know that a few hurricanes have passed through the area skirting by but those storms have great winds and distructive power. Has anyone had to be concerned or be relocated because of a storm?
7) We have never been to SC. Charleston is a historic city. Lots of people vacation there. What is the busy season for beaches?
8) Golf courses in the area. How crowded are they and how well kept are they?
9) I know Hilton Head is huge for golf. So I will look there but since I mention it has anyone been to both and compared? Did you decide Summerville or Hilton Head and why?

If anyone wants to just answer them I reposted the questions on a new thread here http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...l#post29074191

Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 PM

10 posts, read 32,706 times
Default sorry no one got back to you

Hi golfing duo,
I really can relate to all your questions. We, too, are considering a move to Del Webb Charleston and was wondering about everything you wrote about. I hope someone responds. We're planning a visit there at the end of 2013 and hopefully will get some more answers.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:38 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,296,502 times
I have friends who have lived in Del Webb for over 3 years. They moved there because grandkids live in adjoining Cane Bay. They appreciate the activities on site & the pool. I was quite impressed with the "club house" -- it is very lavishly appointed. The indoor pool area is well equipped with ramp & handrails, therefore pool access for all abilities. Outdoor pool very nicely situated.
The downside is that they are quite a distance from downtown peninsula Charleston & beaches. Frankly, they've stated that they wish they had the $$$ to live in Mount Pleasant with beach, harbor & Shem Creek access & views. They have stayed overnight with us on more than one weekend this summer to be near water activities & city dining.

Also, Del Webb has had steady increases in HOA fees, but this may be subsiding as the housing market has picked up now (more owners contributing). Isolation to part-time jobs was also a downside with I-26 about 8 miles away.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 PM

Default Thanks!

Hi Joyeaux,
We've gone to Carolina Lakes and really liked it there, but housing in Del Webb Charleston is much more affordable so that's why we're considering going there. Do your friends do a lot with the clubs? We're in our late 50's and we would be retired so we're hoping there are lots of activities. We also have young grandchildren who would visit and was wondering if they can go in the pool if they're only 1 and 2 years old. Are there restricted times?

Decisions, decisions. I, too, would like to live closer to the beach, but again it's because of the $$$$. Do your friends ever mention if there's a smell in the area from a landfill or paper mill plant? And according to Google Maps, it looks like there's a quarry or something near by. Any complaints about this? Thanks so much for your prompt response. Really appreciate it. Are you in the Mount Pleasant area?

Old 08-17-2013, 07:33 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
I have visited all 3 Del Webb locations in SC. I do spend a few weekends a year with friends at Del Webb Sun City, Hilton Head (Bluffton SC) so I know that one the best.

Del Webb Charleston is out in the middle of nowhere and offers few amenities. It is close enough to Charleston and the coast to take advantage of both for the day

Carolina Lakes main advantage is it is close to Charlotte so it can be more urban. More amenities then Charleston but no golf onsite so that eliminates it for me.

As a golfer, the one of the 3 to choose is Hilton Head. One note. It is in Bluffton, some 10-12 miles from Hilton Head. Few from there actually ever go to Hilton Head as all their needs can be met close by.

I realize family and jobs can and will drive a decision. I realize all are not golfers. Golf and amenities aside, all 3 offer a great life style.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:17 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,113,635 times
Del Webb is great ... get in now while it is still affordable.

There's new phases going up as we speak so new construction is there to be had.

The amenities are actually pretty nice IMHO. Tennis courts, community building, pool etc etc are all very nice and well maintained.

I say get in now while it is still affordable because, as anyone that's been by there or read about it recently, there's A LOT of new commercial construction going on at Carnes Crossroads and Cane Bay. As well as a lot more in the planning stages. Most recently the Publix shopping center at the entrance. Even plans for new schools and a golf course.

In the middle of nowhere today makes it affordable today.

Development plans for the very near future means if you drag your feet you will miss out on a great opportunity.

Everything from shopping to schools etc etc are planned for the Carnes Crossroads area.

The downturn in the economy slowed down the development but the plans are still in the works and are moving forward like a juggernaut. (Evidenced by the fact that they don't move forward with as much housing/subdivisions as they are in the Carnes Crossroads/Cane Bay area without plans for infrastructure and commercial growth).

Carnes Crossroads is practically going to be it's own town soon. Once all that stuff goes up, value prices are going to jump fast.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:14 PM

Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I have visited all 3 Del Webb locations in SC. I do spend a few weekends a year with friends at Del Webb Sun City, Hilton Head (Bluffton SC) so I know that one the best.

Del Webb Charleston is out in the middle of nowhere and offers few amenities. It is close enough to Charleston and the coast to take advantage of both for the day

Carolina Lakes main advantage is it is close to Charlotte so it can be more urban. More amenities then Charleston but no golf onsite so that eliminates it for me.

As a golfer, the one of the 3 to choose is Hilton Head. One note. It is in Bluffton, some 10-12 miles from Hilton Head. Few from there actually ever go to Hilton Head as all their needs can be met close by.

I realize family and jobs can and will drive a decision. I realize all are not golfers. Golf and amenities aside, all 3 offer a great life style.
Hi accufitgof,
Thanks so much for your insight. I know you mentioned golf and since my husband and I do not play, we're OK if there isn't a golf course. We went to Carolina Lakes the beginning of July 2013 and they did have a golf course on site. Maybe they put it in after you visited the community. Just wanted to let you know in case you ever want to play there. I appreciate your thoughts on this. We're going back to Carolina Lakes at the end of this month and will visit Summerville and the two communities in Blufton at the end of this year. Hope to make up our minds by then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area