Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:11 PM

19 posts, read 76,132 times

Advertisements

My husband is self employed and we pay for our health insurance out of pocket. I am looking for some affordable maternity insurance in South Carolina. I wondered if anyone knew of a good broker I could go through, or any companies I could contact besides Blue Cross.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 02:20 PM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,520 times
Not sure if you know this, but once your pregnant noone on will insure you. They say you can't be pregnant for a certain amount of time. Just FYI I self paid my last child and if you pay in advance it isn't that expensive assuming you don't have any issues. I had my baby at East Cooper and they break it down for you for Normal Vs cesarean. My bill was like 5k (maybe less) at the hospital including all drugs,epidural, and baby.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:29 PM

Not pregnant yet, just planning for the future!
Any ideas of insurance companies in SC? I am not sure why this is so hard to find. Don't people have babies all the time?

Old 09-30-2009, 02:32 PM

Call Wynn and Associates. That's who we contacted when I was looking. I use them for my other insurance they can help you.

Address: 790 Johnnie Dodds Blvd.
Suite 100
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina 29464 Phone number: 843-884-7000 Fax number: 843-884-5800 Business hours: 9am to 5pm Monday through Friday
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/profiles/22799#ixzz0SckYFvAy

Old 09-30-2009, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the response!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:05 PM

209 posts, read 534,237 times
It's hard to find because you are looking to pay a little and get a lot of money in return. It's not like normal "insurance" where you MIGHT need to use it and are in a large pool of other people that are in the same boat. What you need to be doing is looking for regular medical insurance that includes maternity coverage. Again, that will be harder to find in the open market (not tied to an employer). Look in the phone book for insurance agents that sell Life and Health insurance. Many will be a broker for lots of insurance companies and can steer you in the right direction. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM

92 posts, read 264,251 times
It would probably be cheaper to negotiate rates with the hospitals and doctors. They will discount rates for 'cash' payers. Often, you have to pay for 2-3 years of coverage before you are eligible for benefits. And, when they do kick in, the benefits are usually not great (you will be left with a good percentage of the bill).

Old 10-01-2009, 07:43 AM

We figured that out and self pay was cheaper than paying the premiums and deductible.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:47 AM

That makes sense. The companies I have contacted have premiums that are very high and they cover a small percentage. I will have to have a csection since I've had 2 before and that adds something else to the mix. The one company I contacted said a csection was a pre-existing condition and it wasn't covered. That doesn't even sound legal to me. What do you all think? How do I go about the self pay option? Do I contact my OB/GYN and also the hospital I deliver at? It sounds a bit scary to me to pay for everything out of pocket.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcchizeck View Post
That makes sense. The companies I have contacted have premiums that are very high and they cover a small percentage. I will have to have a csection since I've had 2 before and that adds something else to the mix. The one company I contacted said a csection was a pre-existing condition and it wasn't covered. That doesn't even sound legal to me. What do you all think? How do I go about the self pay option? Do I contact my OB/GYN and also the hospital I deliver at? It sounds a bit scary to me to pay for everything out of pocket.
Once you pick your OBGYN then ask them what their self pay price is. Then when you know what hospital your going to deliver at you do the same with them. as I mentioned I used East Cooper. They allow you to make payments and so did the doctor you just had to pay in full by a certain date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area