Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:01 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,503,092 times

Advertisements

We too have Lazy Boy and have had our couches for over 8 years and they still look and work as good as new. They have even been through 4 moves!

I don't know much about the places you mentioned, but we are so impressed with LazyBoy that we will buy from them again.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 06:13 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,919,020 times
La-Z-Boy has good quality. They are one of the few left who do.

As for the other discount retailers, I don't understand how spending $400 on a couch and getting a "great deal" is a good investment when it will look like a faded, flat piece of garbage in two years and then one will need to spend another $400 to replace it. Better to go to La-Z-Boy or better yet get something 8 way hand tied for $800 the first time around that will last for 10+ years.

Of course, Ashley is the largest furniture chain in America, so I guess that's what people want.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:25 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,034,194 times
Thank you for all the responses so far

I am off the belief that if I spend $500 on a couch, it will need replaced 5 years down the line, for certain reasons that may be the way to go.

I have two La-z-boy recliners they are over 5 years old and you would not know it.

So would people say that rooms-to-go are the worst followed by vcf then Ashley?

For those from South Florida whom would you rate the same as City Furniture?

Old 07-23-2007, 07:29 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,409,679 times
I would never buy from rooms to go, it reminds me of a Seamans or Levitz and well from personal experience it was crap...

Old 07-23-2007, 07:32 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,919,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post

I am off the belief that if I spend $500 on a couch, it will need replaced 5 years down the line, for certain reasons that may be the way to go.

I have two La-z-boy recliners they are over 5 years old and you would not know it.

I think VC is slightly worse than RTG

Old 07-23-2007, 07:49 AM

55 posts, read 222,599 times
In North Carolina of all places it makes no sense to buy imported cr*p from a national big box junkyard like RTG, VCF or Ashley. Buying something made in Hickory or High Point or Thomasville means your money is going into the furniture, not into transporting junk 15,000 miles from China.

What you should do is head to Park Road Shopping Center and pickup the free remodeling and home magazines they have at the entrances to Blackhawk Hardware, Caribou Coffee and Harris Teeter. Look through them and find the furniture outlets and discounters. Not only will you get far higher quality, but it will be in stock and you'll be dealing with a local business where the delivery guy is more likely the owner's son-in-law than an illegal alien.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:20 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,677,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmax View Post
In North Carolina of all places it makes no sense to buy imported cr*p from a national big box junkyard like RTG, VCF or Ashley. Buying something made in Hickory or High Point or Thomasville means your money is going into the furniture, not into transporting junk 15,000 miles from China.

What you should do is head to Park Road Shopping Center and pickup the free remodeling and home magazines they have at the entrances to Blackhawk Hardware, Caribou Coffee and Harris Teeter. Look through them and find the furniture outlets and discounters. Not only will you get far higher quality, but it will be in stock and you'll be dealing with a local business where the delivery guy is more likely the owner's son-in-law than an illegal alien.
Agree 1000%. High Point is the furniture capital of the world. Try getting something for whole sale: High Point - Furniture Capital of the World

Old 07-23-2007, 08:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,588,133 times
Good places to go to get decent furniture are Hickory Furniture mart in hickory
Furniture land south High Point
Thomasville Furniture Outlet I use this lady there she is awesome matching fabrics and southern hosipitality at its finest. She also will send you a brochure if needed send me a pm if you want her contact info.

If you do go up there they have the coolest little chain called biscuitville they have the best homemade biscuits

Old 07-23-2007, 08:40 AM

718 posts, read 2,363,632 times
IMO, you get what you pay for! My parents always tried to teach me that and I have learned that buying furniture. Our very first couch and living room set was from Rooms to go, back in 1996. It lasted maybe 4 years, and I think that is generous. We also spent a lot of time looking for a computer hutch and bought one from American Signature Home, I think it lasted 3 years.

I would say buy from the furniture areas in Hickory or High Point directly, or find a local furniture store who has a great reputation and an onsite warehouse. Most of the mom and pop operations offer great quality at a little higher price, but with the onsite warehouse, if in stock, they can usually deliver in a day of two.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:14 AM

300 posts, read 764,450 times
Smile City Furniture vs Ashley Furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post

I m was from South Florida and I have a couch and love seat from City Furniture that I bought 2 years ago. Still looks ok

I would rate City Furniture first and Ashley Furniture second.

Loved the free cookies that they gave out at City Furniture. They also had Ashley furniture near the Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise. I did not like it there but I did end up buying a couch here at Ashley at Pinevine. That would be not used that much. I would agree you get what you pay for.

I do agree if you want something to last spend a more money like lazy boy especially if the furniture is being used in a high traffic area. Well anyway that just my opinion.

I did purchase kitchen table and mattress from a store in Concord, called Furniture Depot. and they have brand name furniture there like lazy boy, broyhill at discount prices. No thrills place. But its a hit or miss. place.

Well anyway good luck.

Dennise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte