Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 01:44 PM

841 posts, read 1,432,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
So I can quote you? That's original? No copyright infringement?

LOL. I like it. I really like it.

Although I could never hope to reach your oratorical elegance (or should I say - eloquence?) I might add . . .

When unsubstantiated allegations abound, elusiveness becomes pervasive.

Or something along those lines, lol.
I like yours better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 01:46 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Absolutely agree! And effective leaders (protest leaders) use the media.

This group has failed to use the media - even tho they plainly had the attention for a while! They simply lacked exactly what you said: a clear, concise message.
This is a problem of the group. They have some great minds and I've seen some very cogent and intelligent interviews from group members (along with some incoherent ones). But the group refuses to appoint a leader or press secretary. Or to allow anyone to speak for the entire group. It's naivete and idealism that is counterproductive.

Still, I think the lack of clarity is also a symptom of the complex issue the group is trying to accomplish. It's not a simple issue. In fact, the regulations and money making mechanisms have been made deliberatly complex by the top .1%.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Talent and intelligence should be rewarded accordingly, but luck and timing ALWAYS play a role in any circumstance.

Of course they do, but so does hard work. We can't legislate talent and intelligence, nor can we create luck and timing through policy.

Life, as my grandfather would say, ain't fair and we can't make it fair. I'm all for prosecuting those guilty of crime; everything else is just class envy.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:57 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Just for clarity, the "top 1%" most commonly referred to with regards to this movement are not in that category as wage earners. I've often seen clips, editorials, and blogs using data (i.e. census) to qualify this group. "Who are the 1%?" I find that completely useless. The reality is that the 1% we refer to are not there from drawing a salary. They do not make the vast majority of their income from wages. They most likely don't even have the bulk of their funds in the US. We cannot easily identify them. Waste of time.

We've proven through history that the most prolific and optimal eras of this country were when the rich were taxed at outrageous rates... We've proven that when given more money, corporations just hoard the funds offshore feeding emerging markets... Look at the "apple of everyone's eye" (literally) as THE greatest American based company and the model to work towards to see that 60% of their employees are not working in the US - most of their employees work in China... I could go on for pages about "the banks".

We've cornered ourselves into becoming the epitome of mediocrity and heading DOWN... a problem that I can assure you won't be fixed by "less government" and "less spending" alone - realize that we can take the SPIRIT of these Occupy protests and rally around them ourselves. Somewhere somehow the answer is in finding the common ground on these movements. In EVERYONE realizing that we ALL want a better America for future generations. We need to stop putting each other down and bickering - stop spending our energy poking holes in other's beliefs. Stop letting politicians get away with being the "least worst" option. Special interests are out of control.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowercountry View Post
Of course they do, but so does hard work. We can't legislate talent and intelligence, nor can we create luck and timing through policy.

Life, as my grandfather would say, ain't fair and we can't make it fair. I'm all for prosecuting those guilty of crime; everything else is just class envy.
We can make it fairer. Or, rather, keep it from becoming more unfair.

No one is asking for legislation of talent or intelligence. You're missing the point. Systematic income redistribution to the top 1% is the real crime here. Of course, it's not technically criminal anymore because the 1% has legislated itself into several windfalls and tax loopholes. Meanwhile, the middle class disappears.

This is not class envy; this is a dangerous situation.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Stop letting politicians get away with being the "least worst" option. Special interests are out of control.
My point from the beginning; we're marching in the wrong city.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post

This is not class envy; this is a dangerous situation.
But it also class envy in this respect; I highly suspect that we'd all jump at the chance of being a 1%er if we had the chance.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:04 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
My point from the beginning; we're marching in the wrong city.
This is the problem... you think that you can change it by electing someone else? You can't! Not the way things are set-up these days.

It is controlled ABOVE that by the special interests that control the candidates.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
But it also class envy in this respect; I highly suspect that we'd all jump at the chance of being a 1%er if we had the chance.
Sure. But please explain how it is envy to want the top 1 percent - whose largess they owe largely to the whims of the financial market - to contribute to the US economy, infrastructure, defense, general welfare, etc., a higher proportion of their MOSTLY UNEARNED income?

Old 11-01-2011, 02:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post

Defect? LOL

I have made it more than clear as to my thoughts on those 1%'ers... now, now coy isn't becoming.
TYPO - meant to say - DEFLECT

You certainly have not defected, but you have more or less defaulted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte