Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 03:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Again, who WANTS SouthPark to draw even more people???? The reason folks go there is b/c it is upscale. The more folks, the more wear and tear, and the faster it all gets ratty. Renovations cost money. Rent goes up. Prices go up accordingly.

There are plenty of malls for folks to go to in the region if they don't want to deal with traffic around SouthPark.

And heaven knows . . . there is rarely anything in a mall that can't be bought online - wh/ means avoiding traffic, other shoppers, parking, dressing up, avoiding thugs/mugging, car theft, etc etc etc!

There are 12 months in the year. Everyone and her uncle doesn't need to head to SouthPark Mall to do Christmas shopping, for heaven's sake.

I have gotten over half my Christmas shopping completed already and I haven't darkened the door of SouthPark Mall to do any of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 04:56 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Traffic did not bother me one bit. Uhmmm...

Old 11-26-2011, 05:41 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Concord Mills technically is in Charlotte as well. Carolina Place is the only super-regional mall in our area that is not in Charlotte.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:56 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Wasn't Franklin Mills built by the same company that built Concord Mills? (not that that proves that they knew anything about the area). I was actually in Franklin Mills for the first time ever last year, when I wasn't even living in the area. I didn't like it because it wasn't a full loop so I walked the entire thing and didn't realize that when I was done I was like 3 miles away from my car. But the only reason I went there was because I was already in the relative area, although I didn't feel it was that inconvenient from I-95. When I was living in South Jersey, I don't think a car theft problem had anything to do with why I didn't go (didn't even really know about it until you just said something), I didn't go there because I didn't feel like paying a toll to go over a bridge just to go to a mall, when there were 3 other closer malls in NJ (4 if you want to count Echelon), and if you did want to go to a mall in PA, you went to King of Prussia (and to get a little more on topic, I'm really surprised KofP didn't make the list).
I was just speaking for me & people who I know. I remember when both Franklin Mills & the Gallery were built. People were much more excited about Franklin Mills. However, from day one, there were constant reports of car theft. As you said, Rouse had pretty well covered South Jersey, so people had other options, including the Gallery, if school or work took them to Center City.

More than likely Franklin Mills & Concord Mills were built by the same developer.

If Charlotte put more retail into Uptown or near Uptown it would take some of the traffic away from South Park.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:28 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Concord Mills technically is in Charlotte as well. Carolina Place is the only super-regional mall in our area that is not in Charlotte.
I thought so too at first but on their website it lists it as a Concord address

Old 11-26-2011, 08:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

If Charlotte put more retail into Uptown or near Uptown it would take some of the traffic away from South Park.
I don't think Charlotte can support anymore retail developments than it currently has.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:35 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I don't think Charlotte can support anymore retail developments than it currently has.
As the economy comes back, & it will, there will be no problem supporting more.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 AM

310 posts, read 672,855 times
Not a huge fan of sitting in traffic idling (no hybrid for me, thanks - I'll trade some MPG for the sound of a tuned engine wailing away at redline!) myself. However, one of the things I've always liked about Charlotte/Pineville/Matthews is that everything is more spread out and we don't have (didn't have? smh) a huge urban sprawl with everyone crowding onto trains and buses. (contagious illness, anyone? any takers?) I dunno, I guess I'm just a frumpy old stick in the mud. Traffic sucks, but dealing with mass transit sucks (for me) even more. I'll deal with the traffic and keep my sound system, relative quiet, and knowing some snot-nosed kid that should be at home in bed can't just get in my car and infect me unless I let him. That's the biggest no no about mass transit for me. People are nasty! lol

Old 11-27-2011, 07:53 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times
You willl never ever see me shopping on Black Friday.
You get better deals with after Christmas Sales.
Santa Claus will appreciate your consideration too!
Jesus may not? Oh well, bah hum bug!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:42 AM

84 posts, read 194,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Woodhaven Rd can be like Independence here, or worse.

Overall, Philly has great mass transit, but Franklin Mills is in a blind spot. I understand what you're saying about South Park. I have no problem about driving in Philly but wouldn't go to that mall because of the car theft problem. I'm sure that some people from South Jersey must go, but I didn't know any. I know people who will drive out to Lancaster County for outlets rather than go to Franklin Mills. I used to drive to Delaware for the no sales tax & knew a lot of people who did that rather than go to Franklin Mills. That's the only reason that they are not #1 & South Park #2.
For outlets, the new Phila Premium outlets out on 422 are great.
For real shopping, KOP or even Center City.
For regular stuff, I go to Willow Grove.
No need to ever go to Franklin Mills.

ETA (to keep it relevant to the topic): Was home over the holiday weekend. My wife went to CP this weekend and didn't really have any traffic problems. My buddy's sister and GF tried going to SP and it was a disaster. Of course me, my buddy, and brother in law test drove cars for fun because the dealerships were empty. (Black friday tradition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte