Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 03:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A new report by G.P.S. maker TomTom claims SouthPark Mall in south Charlotte is the most congested shopping area in the country on Black Friday.
read more Charlotte boasts worst Black Friday traffic in U.S. | WCNC.com Charlotte

Out of North Carolina malls I thought it would be Hanes Mall. Hanes Mall Blvd is insane especially with limited lanes, situated between two interstate exits and ton of Box Box stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 03:37 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
read more Charlotte boasts worst Black Friday traffic in U.S. | WCNC.com Charlotte

Out of North Carolina malls I thought it would be Hanes Mall. Hanes Mall Blvd is insane especially with limited lanes, situated between two interstate exits and ton of Box Box stores.
Sonja Gantt (Harvey Gantt's daughter btw) hit the nail on the head. She stated that in larger cities, people are using public transit more. I'll add to this by saying that Southpark is probably the only major regional mall in the country that does not have a freeway entrance/exit within 3 miles of it's location. That fact alone would lower the average speed of those traveling in the Southpark area.

Update
It took some searching, but here is the top 10 list:

1 -- Southpark Mall – Charlotte
2 -- Franklin Mills Mall – Philadelphia
3 -- Freehold Raceway Mall – Trenton, N.J.
4 -- Holyoke Mall at Ingleside – Springfield, Mass.
5 -- Palisades Center – Palisades/Paterson, N.J. (New York)
6 -- Lenox Square – Atlanta
7 -- Woodfield Mall – Schaumburg, Ill. (Chicago)
8 -- Gurnee Mills – Gurnee, Ill. (Chicago)
9 -- Oakbrook Center – Oak Brook, Ill. (Chicago)
10 -- Mall of Georgia – Buford
2 metro Atlanta malls make top 10 most congested list *| ajc.com

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-23-2011 at 04:02 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
The last year I worked in Pineville during the shopping season I watched a BMW sedan go over the curb off Carolina Place Pkwy to park on the grass, because at 8 AM there weren't any parking spaces left in front of Toys R Us. I saw very few spaces in the mall parking lot either.

I don't miss retail at all.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:36 PM

642 posts, read 1,170,812 times
Thanks for the warning. I am in Charlotte for Thanksgiving with my son & family. I was not intending to participate in the Black Friday festivities and now you have reinforced my intentions.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Sonja Gantt (Harvey Gantt's daughter btw) hit the nail on the head. She stated that in larger cities, people are using public transit more. I'll add to this by saying that Southpark is probably the only major regional mall in the country that does not have a freeway entrance/exit within 3 miles of it's location. That fact alone would lower the average speed of those traveling in the Southpark area.

Update
It took some searching, but here is the top 10 list:

1 -- Southpark Mall – Charlotte
2 -- Franklin Mills Mall – Philadelphia
3 -- Freehold Raceway Mall – Trenton, N.J.
4 -- Holyoke Mall at Ingleside – Springfield, Mass.
5 -- Palisades Center – Palisades/Paterson, N.J. (New York)
6 -- Lenox Square – Atlanta
7 -- Woodfield Mall – Schaumburg, Ill. (Chicago)
8 -- Gurnee Mills – Gurnee, Ill. (Chicago)
9 -- Oakbrook Center – Oak Brook, Ill. (Chicago)
10 -- Mall of Georgia – Buford
2 metro Atlanta malls make top 10 most congested list *| ajc.com
You don't seriously think that there would be less cars at SouthPark Mall if there were mass transit??? People come from western NC, the triangle and SC to shop at SouthPark. All mass transit would do is add more people; the cars in the parking lot and on the roads would stay the same, lol. People don't do intense shopping and then schlepp to a train or busline to carry those packages home. They want a car to put them in the trunk, especially if they have traveled there from more than 30 miles away.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:36 PM

The nice thing about malls is . . . you can entirely avoid them. Sad that so much "entertainment" in this country seems to center on shopping at a mall, lol. Traffic is bad? Stay at home.

I live 2.5 miles from SouthPark Mall and I have been able to avoid the traffic snarls and still get all my Thanksgiving prep done w/ no problems.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You don't seriously think that there would be less cars at SouthPark Mall if there were mass transit??? People come from western NC, the triangle and SC to shop at SouthPark. All mass transit would do is add more people; the cars in the parking lot and on the roads would stay the same, lol. People don't do intense shopping and then schlepp to a train or busline to carry those packages home. They want a car to put them in the trunk, especially if they have traveled there from more than 30 miles away.
Think about the 60,000 or so Southpark residents (and empoyees) that would choose the mass transit over the high traffic. Think about all those shoppers who are going for small electronic items and light weight clothing items; they would gladly come and go by train if there was a station at the mall (just to avoid the traffic mess). Due to the electronic age we currently live in, most items on folks' lists can fit in one medium size bag (maybe two).

Still though, I think the lack of a freeway is the biggest issue; mass transit was Sonja Gantt's comment (which IMO is part of the problem too).

Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Think about the 60,000 or so Southpark residents (and empoyees) that would choose the mass transit over the high traffic. Think about all those shoppers who are going for small electronic items and light weight clothing items; they would gladly come and go by train if there was a station at the mall (just to avoid the traffic mess). Due to the electronic age we currently live in, most items on folks' lists can fit in one medium size bag (maybe two).

Still though, I think the lack of a freeway is the biggest issue; mass transit was Sonja Gantt's comment (which IMO is part of the problem too).
We don't need another freeway; we just need the freeway we have to be finished, lol. And sadly, it needs 5 lanes each way (485) all around the city, so even when it is linked up, there aren't gonna be enough lanes to accommodate the daily vehicle use.

SouthPark was never meant to be the draw for half the state. It is in a residential, suburban area. I sure as heck wouldn't want the mess Hanes Mall is, for example, in the middle of South Charlotte.

Thinking of things in terms of decades . . . I am sure no one thought in 1970 that Eastland Mall (and the area surrounding it) would become the disaster area it is today. Retail can ruin a 'burb as can a freeway and traffic patterns.

Last edited by brokensky; 11-23-2011 at 08:50 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We don't need another freeway; we just need the freeway we have to be finished, lol. And sadly, it needs 5 lanes each way (485) all around the city, so even when it is linked up, there aren't gonna be enough lanes to accommodate the daily vehicle use.

SouthPark was never meant to be the draw for half the state. It is in a residential, suburban area. I sure as heck wouldn't want the mess Hanes Mall is, for example, in the middle of South Charlotte.

Thinking of things in terms of decades . . . I am sure no one thought in 1970 that Eastland Mall (and the area surrounding it) would become the disaster area it is today. Retail can ruin a 'burb as can a freeway and traffic patterns.
No, I do not wish to see a freeway built towards Southpark either. However, the lack of a freeway is most likely why the mall made #1 on that list. Also, it is the largest mall in NC/SC and has the largest number of highend stores. On top of this, it is technically "Charlotte's" only mall. I say that because Carolina Place is in Pineville, Concord Mills is in Concord, and Northlake is closer to most of Huntersville (and Lake Norman) than most of Charlotte; thus making Southpark the only mall within a city of 750,000 (and no freeway access). Talk about a unique set up huh?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:38 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,024 times
I'll wait for Cyber Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte