Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 06:53 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Yeah, but Buckhead and South Park are prettier and better landscaping.

Mmm. Not entirely. When I say suburbs, I’m referring to things like Buckhead, South Park, North Hills, Arlington, Bethesda, etc. Mount Holly, Jonesboro GA, etc I guess while suburbs, I would just call them towns.

All of those suburbs tend to have nice shopping malls, pretty affluent, village type development.
Why do you reserve the term "suburb" only for affluent, upscale neighborhoods? Why are working-class and middle-class suburbs not considered actual suburbs in your book? And why do you call neighborhoods within the central city suburbs?

Quote:
But since you guys are so positive the cities are not so similar...
Ok so you're one of those passive-aggressive types. Duly noted.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-26-2018 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
As far as what I was saying about Atlantic Station, I heard it from an actual all-my-life New Yorker.. It’s just the build of it entering from 17th street and turning into the market st entrance imo — it doesn’t have that sunbelt impression. I understand that it is new, master-planned development, but the cohesiveness and scale of it gives it that feel. Everyday people are paying attention to the age of the items in this case, as long it nominally represents something they are familiar with. What it lacks in grit and organic age markers, it makes up with in layout and congruence. Especially with the row houses and low rise condos across the street, I don’t think ppl realize how large AS is as whole. They think of it as only the 2 or 3 blocks around the Regal.
I don't think "big city feel" is the correct term to convey the way AS feels from your perspective. You're referring to something else.

Old 10-26-2018, 09:07 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Buckhead is NOT a suburb.Its the city of Atlanta!
Why you keep bringing up Jonesboro?Its one of the smallest least populated suburbs of the metro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C780XRX2o6U
Buckhead is a suburb. Probably the best suburb. I mentioned Jonesboro where my family lives in context of Mount Holly, NC. Do you know Mount Holly?

Quote:
Atlanta was about the size Charlotte is now right around 1980, so about 40 years. And we have been adding about 95-100k ppl on average the past recent years, 3rd in rate I believe, so this is only going to widen given current projections. Stop trying to gloss over details so you can pretend they are pretty much the same thing.

Of course ATL is growing by more people and the gap will widen. I’m not glossing over, I’m asking you 3 Atlantans how Charlotte is different than when ATL was approaching 3million and how it will be different when it approaches ATL’s current size decades from now.

Quote:
Also, what do you mean the core (what you call downtown) midtown has a small population density, it’s kind’ve high. It’s over 11,000 ppsm. The core has over 11,000 residents and not even 1 square miles, I think 0.8 Miles.

That 11,000 ppsm is referring to some other variant of the area, probably greater midtown as a whole. In any case, does uptown have that kindve Pop. Density?

And please don’t forget, workforce and college population numbers. Midtown is a work hub within a 6 million metro and has one of the best schools in the country. I know uptown doesn’t have GT, but it’s probably a bigger hub for work relative to the size of metro Charlotte, so that works in its favor. You should be looking at all these things to get a better grasp of which has more foot traffic.
Yes. Uptown is around 8000+ ppsm and will probably be 11000 within a couple years easy. (2997 units are U/C)

Uptown Charlotte has 130,000 workers, 28 million sq. Ft office space with 5 million u/c. (A 20% increase mostly leased up)
(Midtown has 81,000.)
(Downtown ATL has 118,000 - 154,000 depending on which reports are accurate. I assume
Maybe the 118 figure is excluding customer service type jobs)

Uptown has 5,827 hotel rooms (2276 u/c)
Downtown ATL has 13,000+ hotel rooms
Midtown ATL more than 4,000

Yes. I know when you start adding in Buckhead, downtown, midtown etc it exponentially dwarfs clt. And I know that most people would prefer Charlotte not to grow like that. There needs to be a singular solid core. With only the immediate areas outside of 277 getting very high dense development. An urban mall uptown, supposedly epicenter wants to move to soft goods and foot locker will replace a club among other retailers. Apple is rumored uptown along with other mall tenants. Lots of the amenities need to be kept uptown. The stadiums,
Etc. Heard Target is looking uptown, Publix will be the 3rd grocer uptown. There’s a movie theater, bowling alley. I would prefer Charlotte try to grow like Denver.

It will never be as large as ATL. Ever. But I do hope as we get bigger, we don’t have downtowns and midtown’s and Buckheads and stations and such. Yeah, work play live areas. Yeah, build another Ballantyne and keep densifyimg the suburbs with village style areas. But the big massive developments need to remain solidly in a singular core.

Either way. Uptown isn’t some sleepy slouch. Who knows. Uptown could be the largest employment center in the Carolinas & GA. I don’t know how much office downtown ATL is adding. (And Yes. I know that’s ignoring the next door neighbors of midtown and others)

Here’s an AJC article on Charlotte and it’s investment in its core. (Which claims uptown has a population of 25000 which would put it over 11,000)

https://www.myajc.com/business/charl...aem96x2e7Z4dO/

Quote:

Charlotte’s strength lies at its core

Charlotte’s downtown – which for some reason, they call Uptown – is emblematic of the city’s recipe for success: plan growth and stick to the plan, while focusing resources on the center city to create an inviting, cohesive core.

Core investment

Since 2000, Charlotte has seen $6 billion in public and private investment in its core, according to Michael Smith, president and CEO of Charlotte Center City Partners, a non-profit development group. “And in that time, downtown population went from 8,000 to more than 25,000.”

Charlotte’s long-running effort to nurture its Uptown-downtown has been crucial, said Ned Curran, chair of the state’s board of transportation and CEO of the Bissell Cos., one of Charlotte’s premier real estate companies.

Having a concentration of people and resources downtown provides more punching power economically, said Hugh McColl Jr., former chairman and CEO of Charlotte-based Bank of America. “I’m a great believer in density. You do much better when you mass your investment.”

“It was all done behind closed doors – and I was all right with that. The thrust was to build up downtown. You don’t have a strong city unless you have a strong downtown. You don’t have a strong region unless you have a strong downtown.”

Last edited by Charlotte485; 10-26-2018 at 09:59 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 05:43 PM

923 posts, read 665,822 times
Quote:
Buckhead is a suburb. Probably the best suburb. I mentioned Jonesboro where my family lives in context of Mount Holly, NC. Do you know Mount Holly?

Of course ATL is growing by more people and the gap will widen. I’m not glossing over, I’m asking you 3 Atlantans how Charlotte is different than when ATL was approaching 3million and how it will be different when it approaches ATL’s current size decades from now.

Yes. Uptown is around 8000+ ppsm and will probably be 11000 within a couple years easy. (2997 units are U/C)

Uptown Charlotte has 130,000 workers, 28 million sq. Ft office space with 5 million u/c. (A 20% increase mostly leased up)
(Midtown has 81,000.)
(Downtown ATL has 118,000 - 154,000 depending on which reports are accurate. I assume
Maybe the 118 figure is excluding customer service type jobs)

Uptown has 5,827 hotel rooms (2276 u/c)
Downtown ATL has 13,000+ hotel rooms
Midtown ATL more than 4,000

Yes. I know when you start adding in Buckhead, downtown, midtown etc it exponentially dwarfs clt. And I know that most people would prefer Charlotte not to grow like that. There needs to be a singular solid core. With only the immediate areas outside of 277 getting very high dense development. An urban mall uptown, supposedly epicenter wants to move to soft goods and foot locker will replace a club among other retailers. Apple is rumored uptown along with other mall tenants. Lots of the amenities need to be kept uptown. The stadiums,
Etc. Heard Target is looking uptown, Publix will be the 3rd grocer uptown. There’s a movie theater, bowling alley. I would prefer Charlotte try to grow like Denver.

It will never be as large as ATL. Ever. But I do hope as we get bigger, we don’t have downtowns and midtown’s and Buckheads and stations and such. Yeah, work play live areas. Yeah, build another Ballantyne and keep densifyimg the suburbs with village style areas. But the big massive developments need to remain solidly in a singular core.

Either way. Uptown isn’t some sleepy slouch. Who knows. Uptown could be the largest employment center in the Carolinas & GA. I don’t know how much office downtown ATL is adding. (And Yes. I know that’s ignoring the next door neighbors of midtown and others)

Here’s an AJC article on Charlotte and it’s investment in its core. (Which claims uptown has a population of 25000 which would put it over 11,000)

https://www.myajc.com/business/charl...aem96x2e7Z4dO/
Geez.LOL
Im am just really perplexed by you and actually kinda intrigued by your determination to stick to such fallacies even when faced with overwhelming corrections of your erroneous and exaggerated statements.
MEEp is right.You are so transparent.Its hilarious actually.

You picked some wrong stats about Downtown Atlanta.
26,850 residents; 34,000+ students; 154,767 daytime office workers; 200,000 daytime population .
Regardless,breaking down the numbers by only focusing on "workers" is a foolish attempt to diminish what urbanity is which is exactly why I can see just how you seem not able to grasp what is and how a real big urban city should function.Actually scratch that.I know you grasp what its but you are choosing not see it

Again.Buckhed,is NOT a suburb oIts car centric just like Uptown Charlotte but somewhat less because of its connectivity with transit.I dont think its a strecth at all to say Buckhed more urban than Uptown Charlotte.
You got Target,Best Buy,2 malls,5 grocery stores,A performance hall,Movie theater,an entertainment district,It is surrounded by two subway stops,an art school parks and not to mention all the other stuff a city normally has.Its a complete urban area just like Midtown

Yes AS is like Ballentyne in some ways Ballantyne is more like Avalon in Alpharretta but not as grandiose.
I dont think you realize just how massive the metro Atlanta area is.
There are several areas like that function in ways just like Buckhead but they are not apart of the city of Atlanta,
Areas like Decatur,Snyrna(Cumberland)Vinings,Dunwoody(Perimet er),Sandy Springs all of these have some urban development with CBD and connected by transit,Subway or just bus or both.
They employ thousands of people,

Atlantic Station is not just mixed use but its also high rises office buildings so its footprint is urban as it is apart of the larger Midtown area.
This was a whole section of town where nothing was there.So its development fit in nicely with the surrounding areas as it filled a big void.
The Atlantic residential tower is the 13th tallest building in Atlanta along with several other towers.
Ballantyne lacks any type of high rise construction or real density

Atlantic Station
Attached Thumbnails
:::Atlanta -vs- Charlotte?-20181027_181700.jpg  

Last edited by Be Proud; 10-27-2018 at 05:59 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Again.Buckhed,is NOT a suburb oIts car centric just like Uptown Charlotte but somewhat less because of its connectivity with transit.I dont think its a strecth at all to say Buckhed more urban than Uptown Charlotte.
You got Target,Best Buy,2 malls,5 grocery stores,A performance hall,Movie theater,an entertainment district,It is surrounded by two subway stops,an art school parks and not to mention all the other stuff a city normally has.Its a complete urban area just like Midtown
I agree that Buckhead is not a suburb as it is actually part of the city of Atlanta but it is largely suburban when it comes to layout and the built environment, and it is most definitely a stretch to say that it is more urban than Uptown Charlotte or a complete urban area like Midtown. Considering the fact that it is largely a postwar commercial district that grew up around a shopping mall, Buckhead has done a pretty good job when it comes to improving walkability in recent years with improvements along Peachtree, the Buckhead Atlanta development, and the ongoing construction of the PATH400 trail. However, Buckhead isn't a traditional walkable urban district with features like a grid to facilitate connectivity, narrow streets, buildings with zero lot lines, etc. There are LOTS of curb cuts along Peachtree that provide easy access for cars to pull up to the front of buildings. Even civic leaders in Buckhead understand this:
In 2010 and 2011, the Buckhead CID funded a study to identify pedestrian connectivity opportunities within a specific 45-acre block of Buckhead bounded by North Stratford Road, Peachtree Road and Lenox Road/the Buckhead Loop. While still developing, this block is already home to more than 14,000 residents and employees. The area has a mix of uses within walking distance of each other, including office, residential, retail and hotel. It also is within only a 6-minute walk of MARTA’s Buckhead transit station, making it a legitimate transit option for pedestrians. However, the area’s “super block” structure and lack of connectivity impedes these qualities, hampering access to transit and discouraging walking as a viable option for even small trips.

The study created a long-term vision and identified specific short-, medium- and long-term opportunities for adding and strengthening pedestrian circulation within this block and to surrounding destinations. The study’s recommendations are currently being implemented. Further, MARTA constructed a new entrance for the Buckhead station to better accommodate area pedestrians.
https://www.buckheadcid.com/projects/ (Pedestrian Connectivity tab)

No doubt Buckhead has a lot of stuff, much of which you highlighted, but getting to most of it on foot isn't the most convenient task. That's not the case for Uptown Charlotte which is built in a more traditionally urban fashion by far.

Also Buckhead isn't really a complete urban area in the same vein as Midtown. Obviously it's certainly not as walkable but in addition it lacks prominent civic functions/uses, there is a lack of green space (although that's improving), there are no prominent cultural venues, it doesn't have an urban university like GA Tech, etc.

Quote:
Yes AS is like Ballentyne in some ways Ballantyne is more like Avalon in Alpharretta but not as grandiose.
Avalon is basically a younger, newer, suburban version of AS as both are relatively compact New Urbanist developments. Ballantyne is a completely different sort of beast as it is about the closest thing you can get to being a genuine suburb in the city. It's a master-planned community of about 25K consisting of 8 square miles with its own zip code, schools, the most luxurious resort hotel in the city, a golf course, a country club, and an office park employing 15K people with over 4 million square feet of Class A office space and home to several corporate headquarters. There was even a movement to have it secede from Charlotte a few years back and incorporate. I think the closest thing to Ballantyne in metro Atlanta is probably Peachtree Corners.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:37 AM

923 posts, read 665,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree that Buckhead is not a suburb as it is actually part of the city of Atlanta but it is largely suburban when it comes to layout and the built environment, and it is most definitely a stretch to say that it is more urban than Uptown Charlotte or a complete urban area like Midtown. Considering the fact that it is largely a postwar commercial district that grew up around a shopping mall, Buckhead has done a pretty good job when it comes to improving walkability in recent years with improvements along Peachtree, the Buckhead Atlanta development, and the ongoing construction of the PATH400 trail. However, Buckhead isn't a traditional walkable urban district with features like a grid to facilitate connectivity, narrow streets, buildings with zero lot lines, etc. There are LOTS of curb cuts along Peachtree that provide easy access for cars to pull up to the front of buildings. Even civic leaders in Buckhead understand this:
In 2010 and 2011, the Buckhead CID funded a study to identify pedestrian connectivity opportunities within a specific 45-acre block of Buckhead bounded by North Stratford Road, Peachtree Road and Lenox Road/the Buckhead Loop. While still developing, this block is already home to more than 14,000 residents and employees. The area has a mix of uses within walking distance of each other, including office, residential, retail and hotel. It also is within only a 6-minute walk of MARTA’s Buckhead transit station, making it a legitimate transit option for pedestrians. However, the area’s “super block” structure and lack of connectivity impedes these qualities, hampering access to transit and discouraging walking as a viable option for even small trips.

The study created a long-term vision and identified specific short-, medium- and long-term opportunities for adding and strengthening pedestrian circulation within this block and to surrounding destinations. The study’s recommendations are currently being implemented. Further, MARTA constructed a new entrance for the Buckhead station to better accommodate area pedestrians.

No doubt Buckhead has a lot of stuff, much of which you highlighted, but getting to most of it on foot isn't the most convenient task. That's not the case for Uptown Charlotte which is built in a more traditionally urban fashion by far.

Also Buckhead isn't really a complete urban area in the same vein as Midtown. Obviously it's certainly not as walkable but in addition it lacks prominent civic functions/uses, there is a lack of green space (although that's improving), there are no prominent cultural venues, it doesn't have an urban university like GA Tech, etc.

Avalon is basically a younger, newer, suburban version of AS as both are relatively compact New Urbanist developments. Ballantyne is a completely different sort of beast as it is about the closest thing you can get to being a genuine suburb in the city. It's a master-planned community of about 25K consisting of 8 square miles with its own zip code, schools, the most luxurious resort hotel in the city, a golf course, a country club, and an office park employing 15K people with over 4 million square feet of Class A office space and home to several corporate headquarters. There was even a movement to have it secede from Charlotte a few years back and incorporate. I think the closest thing to Ballantyne in metro Atlanta is probably Peachtree Corners.
Buckhead is not the easiest place to walk but it does have a confluence of activity a withing a smaller radius which is what I was referring to.
Im not even talking about Lindbergh or below the Peachtree Plaza where the Publix is.I mean from that area going North to where the Target is and east on Piedmont where the Kroger is.
In than small area is quite a lot.
I dont think it is as walkable.If I said that,thats not what I was getting at although again its a small area that one could do that with not too much trouble as I have done it just out of boredom.

Many of those things you quoted about the street level access is being corrected in such what is going on with the Phipps Plaza area.Streets of Buckhead area and Buckhead Village are good examples as those areas are incubators as more projects are popping up to be near those walkable areas

Avalon is the closest thing in Atlanta to Ballantyne,There is not real comparison to it in Atlanta but I think its the closest representative.

Uptown also lacks a major university.So I agree its not as walkable I just think it lacks certain elements that would make it more where people would walk to or around.
If Im not mistaken Im sure there is more residential units and especially more high rise living which is what contributes to pedestrian activity even if its not the easiest area to walk around,you can do it.

Uptown lacks greenspace too doesnt it?There is a new park just off of East Paces Ferry past the Lenox Station,as well as Loudermilk park,the Gardens at Atlanta History Center, and some smaller parks nearby and like you said the Path400

Lets also be realistic.Many people who live in Uptown still are driving most places.I dont think there is not that much more pedestrian activity other than during business hours and weekends when events are happening.

Last edited by Be Proud; 10-28-2018 at 07:47 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 08:01 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:

Yes. I know when you start adding in Buckhead, downtown, midtown etc it exponentially dwarfs clt. And I know that most people would prefer Charlotte not to grow like that. There needs to be a singular solid core. With only the immediate areas outside of 277 getting very high dense development.

It will never be as large as ATL. Ever. But I do hope as we get bigger, we don’t have downtowns and midtown’s and Buckheads and stations and such. Yeah, work play live areas. Yeah, build another Ballantyne and keep densifyimg the suburbs with village style areas. But the big massive developments need to remain solidly in a singular solid core
Sorry this makes absolutely no sense, particularly in regards to the discussion about midtown ATL. You want a “singular solid core,” but dismiss midtown and Atlantic Station? The argument from earlier is that those areas are adjacent to downtown (well midtown is and AS is adjacent to midtown), so combined they pretty much form the “singular solid core.”

Yet now you say you don’t want CLT to have a Buckhead and called it a suburb, but want to add more work play live areas in the suburbs of CLT. Isn’t that exactly what you were saying Buckhead was?

You really need to make up your mind about what the heck you’re saying.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Avalon is the closest thing in Atlanta to Ballantyne,There is not real comparison to it in Atlanta but I think its the closest representative.
I can see you're not familiar with Ballantyne at all. Ballantyne and Peachtree Corners are both master-planned, typical suburban communities centered around office parks. There is very little that's "urban" about them, even in the new urbanist sense. Ballantyne is essentially its own city--again, nearly 25,000 people live there and over 15,000 people work there--and is 20+ years old at this point. Did you not read any of the stats I just gave for Ballantyne????? That doesn't correlate at all to Avalon. Avalon doesn't have its own zip code, schools, golf course, country club, etc. Ballantyne is its own submarket with 7 million square feet of office space total. Peachtree Corners is also its own submarket with a similar amount of office space. Do some research on both Ballantyne and Peachtree Corners and you'll see why that's a MUCH more valid comparison.

Charlotte's version of Avalon is Birkdale Village in Huntersville.

Quote:
Uptown also lacks a major university.So I agree its not as walkable I just think it lacks certain elements that would make it more where people would walk to or around.
No no no, you're moving the goalposts here. I was using the presence of a university in Midtown to show that it is a complete urban area compared to Buckhead; that point had nothing to do with walkability. A place can be highly walkable without having a university (e.g., downtown DC). Even so, although it is not a major university, Uptown Charlotte is home to the Johnson and Wales University campus which is certainly built in an urban fashion.

Quote:
If Im not mistaken Im sure there is more residential units and especially more high rise living which is what contributes to pedestrian activity even if its not the easiest area to walk around,you can do it.
Are you talking about Buckhead or Uptown Charlotte here?

Quote:
Uptown lacks greenspace too doesnt it?There is a new park just off of East Paces Ferry past the Lenox Station,as well as Loudermilk park,the Gardens at Atlanta History Center, and some smaller parks nearby and like you said the Path400
In Uptown there are older neighborhood parks like Frazier Park and Fourth Ward Park and the newer, more central parks like Romare Bearden Park (Uptown's new showpiece) and First Ward Park. There's also the older Marshall Park but it wasn't surrounded by the right set of uses to be a successful active park although quite easy to walk to.

Quote:
Lets also be realistic.Many people who live in Uptown still are driving most places.I dont think there is not that much more pedestrian activity other than during business hours and weekends when events are happening.
Of course many people who live Uptown are driving most places; that's the case in downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead in Atlanta and most American downtowns/urban districts for that matter. But in terms of layout/walkability, Uptown is easily more walkable than Buckhead and while we know MARTA has higher ridership than transit in Charlotte, LYNX and the streetcar line are viable, utilized transit options in Uptown (and the Blue Line extension opened earlier this year). There is a good bit of pedestrian activity after work hours as well; the happy hour crowd walks to bars and restaurants after clocking out and there are all sorts of things happening throughout the week, especially since Uptown has added so much through the years. The new ballpark, TWC Arena, museums, the convention center, cultural venues, Alive After Five, etc. most definitely contribute to the notable increase in after hours activity during the week in Uptown. Of course the evening pedestrian traffic picks up substantially towards the weekend but the days when Uptown was a ghost town after 5pm Monday-Thursday are definitely over.

No doubt Buckhead is highly developed but the fact that it's not laid out in a traditional urban fashion definitely makes a difference when it comes to urbanity and walkability. It's a different beast than Midtown Atlanta and Uptown Charlotte, which also have a wider range of functions and uses which make them more complete urban environments.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-28-2018 at 10:21 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 09:38 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

Out of curiosity, would you consider SouthPark a suburb? Otherwise, I can agree with this post.

And very much agree with the post above mine.

(FYI I loveeeer Frazier Park. Especially the dog park there that is the most active one I’ve seen for small dogs I can’t find any good ones in DC). Also like the little greenway. Uptown has plenty of green. Elmwood & Settlers cemetery, 1st ward park is always busy these days, Romare is busy even past midnight even on weekdays, by Frazier was the small indoor water I loved to take my nephews to. 4th ward park is more for uptown locals and it’s fabulous. There a little park near government center with large chess, connect 4 etc.) Elmwood is actually very popular with Pokémon go players lol. There’s a city official who likes Pokémon go and has been working to allow Pokémon players to continue to play there as long as they are respectful.

MARTA hours aren’t bad neither, but Charlotte’s lynx hours and frequencies are great. Saturday/Friday the last train departs 485 at 1:20am & arrives at UNCC at 2:10am. Rush hour is every 8 minutes. Sunday the final train departs at 12am and arrives to UNCC at nearly 1am.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 10-28-2018 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-28-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Sorry this makes absolutely no sense, particularly in regards to the discussion about midtown ATL. You want a “singular solid core,” but dismiss midtown and Atlantic Station? The argument from earlier is that those areas are adjacent to downtown (well midtown is and AS is adjacent to midtown), so combined they pretty much form the “singular solid core.”
I completely understand what he's saying here; basically he wants Uptown to continue to develop as the premier singular commercial district in Charlotte. Midtown is distinct from downtown and constitutes a separate CBD. It has its own identity and has developed separately from downtown.

I think over time, Charlotte will develop another highrise district close to the center of the city like Midtown but it will be more like Uptown Houston or Uptown Dallas as a clear secondary highrise commercial district that doesn't challenge the primary CBD for dominance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte