Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times

Advertisements

Almost forgot, they have beautiful flowers here! So pleasant and peaceful to walk through.

Wing Haven Gardens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 10:40 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I should have been more elaborate ...

I've already been to some great museums, but this time around, I hope to spend more time visiting one (or more) of the local automotive attractions.
If your a NASCAR fan you might like visiting the race shops around the Charlotte area.

Last week I took a 2 hr drive to Concord to visit the Roush shops and discovered the teams were doing pit stop practice and it was fun to watch up close, much closer than you can at the track.
When I first pulled in to the driveway somebody blue by me in a very noisy cup car on the way to the practice pit road.

If your not a NASCAR fan, never mind.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:48 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Almost forgot, they have beautiful flowers here! So pleasant and peaceful to walk through.

Wing Haven Gardens
Chrome...thank you for the incredible list of great things to do !

Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
the Roush shops
The Roush Shops? Should've known they were around Charlotte. Now I know what I'll be doing in April. Thanks

Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Google "Lupie's Cafe Elizabeth" for some true southern food in a great hole-in-the-wall atmosphere. Just had lunch there today. Cheap and good.
I've passed by there several times, but never stopped in. Thanks for the great suggestion

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
I should have been more elaborate ...

I have varied interests, but the stuff I am looking for are those places known only to natives, that reflect the culture of the people who are native to the area.

I've already been to some great museums, but this time around, I hope to spend more time visiting one (or more) of the local automotive attractions.

In addition, a reasonably nearby town with a 'Main Street' (much like Hendersonville, NC or Greenville, SC) would be great - as would some 'old time' general stores (those that sell apparel, cookware, hardware, and household goods). We're also looking for 'Family Restaurants' that specialize in traditional Southern fare - places that have been there for years, that only local people know.

Nothing fancy; nothing exciting; we're just looking into absorbing as much of the Old South as we can, in the Charlotte Metro area .
Go to the Kings Mountain battlefield. It's just across the border in SC. Kings Mountain National Military Park (U.S. National Park Service) Stop off at Big E's BBQ. It's just off exit 8 of I 85. Big E's BBQ Kings Mtn. NC, pulled pork barbecue Shelby NC, Restaurants in Kings Mountain N.C., Find a restaurant in Gastonia North Carolina, Bar-B-Que Gaffney South Carolina, Southern BBQ, Find a caterer Cleveland County, Special Events Catering Gast

Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 AM

Wow...Thank you Southbound. Kings Mountain Park looks great!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM

972 posts, read 2,442,919 times
Sunny - any chance to make this a sticky? We've lived here several years and haven't experienced half of these things. Our weekends are planned for a few months now!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Wow...Thank you Southbound. Kings Mountain Park looks great!
You're welcome, NDL. There are 3 parks out here. Crowders Mountain State Park is in Kings Mountain Twp., just outside of Gastonia. The national battlefield & Kings Mountain State Park are in SC, thisclose to the border. Kings Mountain National Park shows a movie & has a nice trail to the actual battlefield. (Cowpens isn't too far away.)

Big E's is easy off & on from 85. I've taken visitors there & they absolutely loved it.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:13 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
It's not very cheap but if you absolutely want to visit and dine at a Charlotte institution you've got to go to Beff 'N Bottle. Been there on South Blvd. FOREVER! I think since the 40's and maybe even before that in anothe rlocation on 6th street.

Beef and Bottle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte