Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:55 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times

Advertisements

The Wine Cellar in Cornelius run by two French guys.
The Wine Cellar - Cornelius, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:47 PM

185 posts, read 318,523 times
Not sure if its been mentioned but Matties Diner is great. Its located over by the NC Music Factory.

Also Noodletasia in Huntersville is excellent.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:34 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeytonC View Post
Google "Lupie's Cafe Elizabeth" for some true southern food in a great hole-in-the-wall atmosphere. Just had lunch there today. Cheap and good.
I second that wholeheartedly.
They also have a location in downtown (what there is of it!) Huntersville in what used to be an old drug store. Wooden booths, old tile floor, $1 PBRs (we get told that PBR is cheapand nasty, but coming from Europe we'll take it any day over Bud, Miller etc)
They also do a fish dish at this one- usually grilled salmon over salad and rice.
The Kuchen and brownies are delicious BTW.

Also like to recommend Trakside restaurant in downtown Mooresville-owned by a Greek family since the 80s-has regular suspects on the menu from Turkey with dressing through to Lasagne, burgers, founder, steaks,shrimp etc etc. Sons fave is Lasagne, mine grilled chicken livers with lemon, husbands fried flounder.Clean but basic and great staff-price range $4-$12.

Breakfasts are awesome and start at $4.25 for 2 eggs, sausage or bacon,hasbrowns or grits and biscuit or toast.

Downtown Mooresville is being rejuvinated and there's a local ice cream shop (Deluxe icecream), couple of antique stores,Cotton Ketchie art gallery in the old station,Turners hardware store D. E. Turner Hardware - Mooresville, NC
Richards coffee shop (don't go for the coffee!)- themed on US army vet's
Richard's Coffee Shop - Welcome Home Veterans!
The Mooresville museum
About the Museum | The Mooresville Museum

Other restaurants etc include The Daily Grind, The Daily Grind Grill and Cafe - Downtown - Mooresville | Urbanspoon (mixed reviews-we prefer the one on Brawley School Road going towards The Point golf and club)
JJ Wasabis (larger and different atmosphere to his other place Joels Grill on Williamson Rd )
WELCOME
Epic Chophouse
Epic Chophouse
The bathtub gin
The Bathtub Gin - Mooresville, NC
Wine 202 wine bar
Home (http://202wines.com/default.aspx - broken link)

Nearby I'm sure you may know are the NASCAR race shops and Memory Lane auto museum but I think this drag racing experience is new-sounds great but not sure I'd have the sphericals to do it!
Doug Foley - Drag Racing School | Drive a Dragster

Also Lake Norman State Park, Carrigan Farms
Carrigan Farms | Mooresville, NC Local Farm
Lazy 5 ranch
North Carolina Animal Park | Lazy 5 Ranch
Daveste vineyards
Daveste' Vineyards
NC transportation museum
NC Transportation Museum - Home
Fort Dobbs State historic site
Fort Dobbs, Statesville, NC - North Carolina State Historic Site representing French & Indian War
Bull hole swimming hole- won't be warm enough to swim , but pleasant walk down from the parking lot and pretty impressive once down there.
June: The Swimmin
Someone else already mentioned the Latta Plantation and Carolina Raptor center (Bald eagle chicks are hatching now!)
Don't know where you're planning on staying but there are a variety of vacation rentals in the Lake Norman area.
Lake Norman Vacation Rentals, Lake Norman North Carolina Vacation Rental Homes, Lake Norman Vacation Rentals Deals, Lake Norman Last Minute Vacation Deals

Old 03-02-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Any hidden gems particularly restaurants in Lake Norman area?
I just posted Sunny- but forgot to mention
The Cookhouse in Cornelius
CookHouse Restaurant - Tasty Platter of Cornelius

and Butcher boys on 150 Denver.
Butcher Boys Family Restaurant in Denver, NC - Attractions Coupon Book - Printable Coupons - Text Message Coupons

This one is probably the most basic of all but food is good for the price.
I think they do a breakfast buffet on Saturdays.

Also in Downtown Mooresville
Bobs grill- staff at Caribou coffee told us he used to skip school 10 years ago to get breakfast there. Not sure of opening hours-maybe only breakfast and lunch somedays
MAP MOORESVILLE NC - Google Maps
and the Side Door Deli -again recommended to us by a local Mooresville native-we didn't even know it existed until 2 weeks ago. Not visited yet.
Side Door Deli Menu - Mooresville, NC 28115 - (704) 664-5000

Assuming people know about the K&W cafeterias?

Not Lake Norman, but a car salesman at Toyota West in Statesville recommended Gluttons
http://www.gluttonsrestaurant.com/index.html
but gets mixed reviews here
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mayflower-se...aurant-concord
and someone mentions Logans roadhouse is better.
Are they a chain? I see there appears to be one on Gastonia and Kannapolis too.
Anyone tried one?

Also wanted to mention the Mayflower fish restaurant nr Concord Mills
http://www.yelp.com/biz/mayflower-se...aurant-concord

Cheap and cheerful, decent service and food-big portions.

Last edited by Whatsthenews; 03-02-2012 at 10:21 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post

Butcher Boys Family Restaurant in Denver, NC - Attractions Coupon Book - Printable Coupons - Text Message Coupons

Bobs grill- staff at Caribou coffee told us he used to skip school 10 years ago to get breakfast there. Not sure of opening hours-maybe only breakfast and lunch somedays
and the Side Door Deli -again recommended to us by a local Mooresville native-we didn't even know it existed until 2 weeks ago. Not visited yet.
Cook House is one of my favorites. I like there daily specials especially CFS covered in white gravy. I like they give you a complimentary bowl of soup before the entree is served.
I also like that they have desserts listed in one of sides you choose. Even though the cobbler can be hit or miss.
The service there is top notch too.

I definitely will check out Butcher Boys wheb I am in area usually end of the month.
If I am in Moorsville anytime Ill look into there.

[quote=ex-burgher;23192891]The Wine Cellar in Cornelius run by two French guys.
The Wine Cellar - Cornelius, NC[/quote
I just open that link, I just realise they serve food.
Might be one of my summer treats when I check out Lake Norman Minature Golf course. Lake Norman Miniature Golf

Old 03-02-2012, 11:19 AM

[quote=SunnyKayak;23226063]Cook House is one of my favorites. I like there daily specials especially CFS covered in white gravy. I like they give you a complimentary bowl of soup before the entree is served.
I also like that they have desserts listed in one of sides you choose. Even though the cobbler can be hit or miss.
The service there is top notch too.

I definitely will check out Butcher Boys wheb I am in area usually end of the month.
If I am in Moorsville anytime Ill look into there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
The Wine Cellar - Cornelius, NC[/quote
I just open that link, I just realise they serve food.
Might be one of my summer treats when I check out Lake Norman Minature Golf course. Lake Norman Miniature Golf
Trakside is the same- cobbler as a side and free bowl of soup with most dinner entrees.

For minitaure golf we like the Lake Norman one, but there'sno shade -very hot in the Summer and the original miniature railway they had running thru the course had to be removed as people were stopping it with their feet ect and causing damage.

We enjoy the mini golf at Frank Lisk park and Dan Nicholas (Concord and Salisbury) Obviously don't have all the landscaping etc but only $2 to play and the parks have other attractions too, particularly Dan Nicholas. Good to tie in with a visit to the transportation museum in Spencer.

Anyone tried Lunar mini golf in Gastonia, or Paradise valley /lost Duffer
Paradise Valley Golf Course, Charlotte North Carolina | Charlotte Golf Courses

Old 03-02-2012, 11:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post

Assuming people know about the K&W cafeterias?

Not Lake Norman, but a car salesman at Toyota West in Statesville recommended Gluttons
Lunch Menu
but gets mixed reviews here
Mayflower Seafood Restaurant - Concord, NC
and someone mentions Logans roadhouse is better.
Are they a chain? I see there appears to be one on Gastonia and Kannapolis too.
Anyone tried one?

Also wanted to mention the Mayflower fish restaurant nr Concord Mills
Mayflower Seafood Restaurant - Concord, NC

Cheap and cheerful, decent service and food-big portions.
Mayflower & Logan are both chains.

Garner Mayflower Seafood Restaurant and Oyster Bar (http://www.garnermayflower.com/index.php?id=locations - broken link)

Welcome | Logan's Roadhouse

Old 03-02-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
The Wine Cellar - Cornelius, NC
Was quite excited as love french food but

Smoked Gouda, Fontinella, Feta, Lettuce, Mixed Nuts, Honey, Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar

doesn't strike me as french or gourmet either.
I mean Fetta- gourmet?
Lettuce? will that be iceberg
I guess they're catering for the majority.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
The Wine Celler is not really a French restaurant - in fact originally it was only a wine bar. They recently added some small plates (some of which are French inspired) to go with the wine.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:51 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,266 times
McNinch House Restaurant, Charlotte, N.C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte